Windstar Canceling All Cruises in March and April and into May

Host Jazzbeau

Got this email from Windstar canceling my Spanish Serenade (Apr. 15, 2021) cruise.  This is the second time this cruise has been cancelled (first time by Asbestos, second time by Covid).  Luckily I only have a deposit – but I am asking for my money back.

Today, we are making another tough decision to further cancel our cruises due to rising COVID cases around the world. I know you will be disappointed, and we are too, but our spirits are buoyed by the good news on the vaccine front and the possibilities it opens up for worldwide travel again. We are now canceling all cruises in March and April and into May, depending on the itinerary. Our first yacht to set sail will be the newly transformed Star Legend on May 1 out of Athens on the new 10-day Greece, Israel and Egypt: Footsteps of Faith in the Holy Lands cruise.

In connection with this cancellation, we are offering a Future Cruise Credit (FCC) valued at 125% of monies paid to Windstar Cruises. From there, you have two options.

Option 1:      Book another Windstar Cruise. You will have 24 months from the issue date of the FCC to sail with your FCC.  Given the volume of cancellations, we ask that you allow up to four weeks to receive your FCC certificate. (Please contact your Travel Advisor or Windstar Cruises with questions on the use of your FCC.)

Option 2:      Receive a Cash Refund. Should you wish to convert your canceled voyage FCC into a cash refund, you may do so once the FCC certificate is received. Contact Windstar to request this option after receiving your FCC certificate. Windstar will deactivate the FCC valued at 125% and process the refund to the original form(s) of payment at 100% of the monies paid to Windstar Cruises. You will have 24 months from the issue date of the FCC to request the refund.

Please note Windstar does not reimburse third party (non-Windstar) travel expenses or fees.

I wondered why I had not received the refund of the deposit to my credit card from may cancelled March 4 Tahiti cruise. Turns out Windstar had the wrong email address that they sent a message too. I had to get my TA involved to correct it and get the proper paperwork going. They had issued the FCC back in November but I had never received it. I completed the paperwork to get the $200 refund back on my credit card. it will be interesting to see how long that takes.

I am so glad I just cancelled and got my money back. Windstar may not sail at all in 2021 at this rate. Hopefully they can hang on financially into 2022. Maybe Xanterra has deep enough pockets to sustain them.

We are booked on that May 1 Greece, Israel and Egypt cruise. At this point, I'm not very hopeful that it will sail. We'll see. Also, a little concerned about being on the first cruise after such a long hiatus. Our fall back was one of the Fall cruises out of San Diego which was cancelled along with all of the Star Breeze US itineraries.

Windstar says that they expect to have the new Star Breeze itineraries in time for the Bon Voyage 2020 sale Dec 17 on 2021 and 2022 cruises. I guess we will wait until that sale to book anything else unless I spot something good on 7 for 7.

• 4 weeks later...

I am now thinking a September Baltic cruise on Oceania that I have booked may not sail in 2021. Star Legend is showing to do Baltic cruises in July and August 2021, but I doubt those will go. If I end up not going to Baltic with O this year and move to next year, I would consider going with W but Windstar is not in the Baltic market for 2022. The same O cruise I have currently booked would cost me $1000 more to be taken in 2022. If that is the case, I won't be cruising in 2022 at all with either Windstar or Oceania, my 2 preferred lines, unless there is a spectacular deal that comes up.