Grand World Voyages for 2023

wesport

We were able to book the South American Circumvention Grand Voyage today, after having previously put down a $400 deposit on it. I was a bit surprised at how expensive it was. Two other luxury cruise lines are offering somewhat similar trips at the same time at  materially lower prices, but the Seabourn Quest trip was the only one going to the South Georgia Islands and up the Amazon, two of the primary attractions of this trip to us.

The deadline for securing the original interest/reservation by making a formal deposit for the WC is in 2 days.  So today we took the leap, spoke to our TA and made the big deposit!  We are in, at least for now.  I discussed with our TA Seabourn's offer of a 6% discount if the full fare is paid by May, 2021.  He dismissed my worries about getting a refund, based upon the size and security of Carnival line.  But he did remind me of the possibility of Covid and post-Covid protocols that might make this WC unappealing.  I can think of a couple that would be deal breakers for us.  So we will try to keep on top of this ever-changing world of restrictions before we make the decision whether to prepay, and of course, before we deal with the drop-dead date for complete cancellation.  But for now, we are in and definitely looking forward be becoming a World Cruiser!

On 2/5/2021 at 7:52 PM, cbachell said:

We were able to book the South American Circumvention Grand Voyage today, after having previously put down a $400 deposit on it. I was a bit surprised at how expensive it was. Two other luxury cruise lines are offering somewhat similar trips at the same time at  materially lower prices, but the Seabourn Quest trip was the only one going to the South Georgia Islands and up the Amazon, two of the primary attractions of this trip to us.

We booked and did our deposit on this Grand Voyage on Friday, too! Our preferred suite booking is usually a V3 on deck 6, forward. Now that's a V1 category, and we were able to move slightly more midship with the new categories. We'll look forward to meeting you, cbachell!

2 hours ago, sunshineocean13 said:

We booked and did our deposit on this Grand Voyage on Friday, too! Our preferred suite booking is usually a V3 on deck 6, forward. Now that's a V1 category, and we were able to move slightly more midship with the new categories. We'll look forward to meeting you, cbachell!

Good to hear from you Sunshineocean13. Hope to meet you in a little under two years! We have several trips scheduled in the interim and hope to enjoy them, assuming they quit getting canceled. While we have lived in Florida most of our lives, my mother lives near you on Whidbey Island.  Haven't been able to go visit her in over a year.

28 minutes ago, cbachell said:

Good to hear from you Sunshineocean13. Hope to meet you in a little under two years! We have several trips scheduled in the interim and hope to enjoy them, assuming they quit getting canceled. While we have lived in Florida most of our lives, my mother lives near you on Whidbey Island.  Haven't been able to go visit her in over a year.

We have two trips scheduled before then, too. My optimism keeps diminishing on whether they'll happen, but I'll keep dreaming. I hope your mother is able to stay healthy and safe on Whidbey. We were able to get our first covid vaccinations two weeks ago, and hope the second will happen on schedule.

A little wheeling and dealing over the last two days but got the suite we wanted for the 2023 world cruise. 

The itinerary is hitting some great places, know we will have a great ship and great food/entertainment.  The best part will be meeting and chatting with you all 

• 2 weeks later...

We have 'registered our interest' for a small fee in the Grand Pacific Vovage October 2022.  We just wanted to do something... nothing to lose but no idea at this stage how much it is.

Hey ho... we'll find out soon!

Bit strange at this stage to actually reserve which grade of suite we wanted but that's what was asked.

On 12/14/2020 at 10:36 PM, markham said:

Wesport, if that's the case then Seabourn is cheap. I have been on one HAL cruise, a week on Eurodam, and it was ok. But nothing on Seabourn. 

You get what you pay for. HAL is a mass market drudge, and there is nothing luxurious about their ships, with their long lines, nickel and diming for everything, and mediocre food in noisy 2 seating dining rooms. Some of their ships are very old and atrocious, not a patch on Seabourn's modern and spacious ships! . That said, the cabins that are equivalent in size to those on Seabourn as regular veranda cabins are not cheap, and their penthouses that are as large as Seabourn PH cabins are not cheaper. No way. Nothing personalised about it, and it would only be worth considering if you had very limited funds or waited too long to book Seabourn and got shut out.

The offer Seabourn is showing for the full cruise includes business or first class air, a hefty onboard spend, incl laundry, internet, transfers, precruise hotel, luggage forward. Does HAL even think about things like that?

Happy and healthy sailing!

I guess you didn't like HAL, Markham!  

And I also have to say that I sort of agree.  We've sailed HAP a number of times, partially because a family member is a frequent customer.  Our last trip was a trans-Pacific that had its pleasant moments, especially the terrific music in BB King's Lounge, but otherwise pretty much as you described.  The ship was truly in rundown condition, sort of like a bad motel in a rural area along the Interstate.  But for the right itinerary, I would consider HAL again, although we would book a Neptune Suite and that would probably be more expensive than Seabourn.

Another consideration for this So. America trip:  For Antarctica, my understanding is that HAL does a drive-by, while Seabourn sailors get to off-board the ship and take a hike on land.  When we did this 2 years ago, it was one of the most extraordinary experiences of my life.  And the great Seabourn staff ensure that all passengers are totally safe.  Just unforgettable.