Picture-A-Week 2020 - Week 51

pierces

Pictures taken between Monday, December 14 and Sunday, December 20.

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest.

All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others!

Just trying to learn how to use my new toy, Nikon Z7ii. Not owned a mirror less before, and had spent the last couple of years setting up my current camera.

Oh well, it works. Some New Holland honeyeaters. It was raining gently.

9A4E6DA7-9973-4EB5-BED2-EF47B02D7FD0.thumb.jpeg.3d735c3a9a039050074910eb36b7464d.jpeg

EB8DFF9A-6F24-4F0F-908C-7EF97F068E4D.jpeg.0547c9262822c69a3d2e0adec671d0e2.jpeg

• Like 3

11 hours ago, cruises42 said:

How did you do this?

I took 25 10-second exposures with a 400mm lens and a tracking mount and stacked them together with astrophotography stacking software. Then processed the image in lightroom. 

• Like 1

Sunday found us out and about following protocols and having a wonderful family day in spite of them. Our day started with a visit to Santa’s Village in the local mountains and their strict limits on daily visitors let us see and do all we wanted without long lines and a lot of waiting. Done a bit early, we decided to visit nearby Lake Arrowhead and show the youngest grandkids a real lake. The lakeside shopping “Village” was packed with people enjoying a mild winter day with bright sunshine, temps in the high 50°s and fresh mountain air. The shop that sells bags of duck food was open and the web-footed locals are happy to entertain people’s desire to do anything fun by acting like feathered piranha every time a handful of food hit the ground or water.

Will Work for Food

image.thumb.png.c524fe06543befbd921310bd6b5003a6.png

Dave

• Like 3

9 hours ago, pierces said:

Sunday found us out and about following protocols and having a wonderful family day in spite of them. Our day started with a visit to Santa’s Village in the local mountains and their strict limits on daily visitors let us see and do all we wanted without long lines and a lot of waiting. Done a bit early, we decided to visit nearby Lake Arrowhead and show the youngest grandkids a real lake. The lakeside shopping “Village” was packed with people enjoying a mild winter day with bright sunshine, temps in the high 50°s and fresh mountain air. The shop that sells bags of duck food was open and the web-footed locals are happy to entertain people’s desire to do anything fun by acting like feathered piranha every time a handful of food hit the ground or water.

Will Work for Food

image.thumb.png.c524fe06543befbd921310bd6b5003a6.png

Glad they opened Santa's Village .... what history the place has .... I remember going when I was a kid  .... taking my kids there and then it closed  ... time to take the grand kids

Stuff from this weekend - I headed back up to a more northerly and westerly wetlands park that I don't get to as often, and since the birds up there tend to be a little more skittish when a person approaches, I brought the biggest gun I had - the 200-600mm lens with 1.4x teleconverter, giving me 840mm optically, and 1260mm with the APS-C crop included.  Afterwards, I headed to my more regular wetlands to shoot some of the local stuff, and left off the 1.4x TC for that:

Roseate spoonbill at 1,260mm equivalent:

original.jpg

Lesser yellowlegs at 1,260mm equivalent:

original.jpg

American wigeons at 1,260mm equivalent:

original.jpg

Long-billed dowitcher at 1,260mm equivalent:

original.jpg

Red-shouldered hawk on lookout, at 1,260mm equivalent:

original.jpg

Alligator resting and sunning on shore, at my local wetlands, without the TC:

original.jpg