Is anyone losing or lost their enthusiasm for Cruising?

molly361

5 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

More doom and gloom for Florida?  We are enjoying our open State and hospitalizations are down for Snowbird Season. Available ICU beds are up. Starting today, vaccines rolling out for those over 65. 

Be responsible for yourself. We are. 

M8

Seems like others who live there have shown concern.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, island lady said:

According to my sister, the antibodies last about 3 months max.  

I personally know someone who had it in March and is currently working on a cruise ship. Strict protocols adhered to before restart and they tested positive for antibodies a couple of weeks ago. 
I suppose everyone is different but reassuring for them working on the ship . 

• Like 2

We currently have 6 ocean cruises and one river cruise  scheduled in 2021.

All of them , except maybe 2 , have been rescheduled from 2020 or booked long before Covid . I am enthusiastic for cruising but no longer have the energy to second guess what the powers that be decide , what will be will be . 

Edited by heatherb1958

3 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Then they should remain locked up in their own lockdown and be responsible for themselves. Trust me, we are doing fine while remaining cautious. Maybe you should try it, be responsible for yourself. 

M8

I have been working with the public since June. Knock wood I haven't gotten sick and we had some close calls.  DW got the vaccine today. 

• Like 2

On 12/28/2020 at 6:34 PM, Iamcruzin said:

I have been working with the public since June. Knock wood I haven't gotten sick and we had some close calls.  DW got the vaccine today. 

So glad to see the vaccine is being rolled out.  Just my luck, hubby and I are 64.  It looks like a long wait for us. 

1 minute ago, lazydayz said:

So glad to see the vaccine is being rolled out.  Just my luck, hubby and I are 64.  It looks like a long wait for us. 

DW said that after the hospital staff is complete they will start to contact patients who are over 75. I have a while to go. I just turned 60 so I will be in the last group.

On 12/26/2020 at 5:09 PM, Ourusualbeach said:

The last KISS concert I went to was when I was in high school.  7 of us crammed into a VW bug in the middle of winter and the smoke in the car was as thick as it was at the concert.  🤣

The one and only concert I went to when I was younger was a KISS concert in Corpus Christi in ‘79. The stench of the smoke and the volume kept me away for the longest time. Didn’t go to any until my later years and very few at that.

On 12/27/2020 at 10:39 AM, Ocean Boy said:

This is why I mostly never liked going to concerts when I was in college.... the volume and.... the smoke.

I totally agree. The smoke is nauseating and I want to keep my hearing as long as possible. 🤢🤮

On 12/23/2020 at 12:10 PM, firefly333 said:

Yes I'm still dying to cruise. There was a time early on I thought cruises would resume with the new protocols and I probably would be vaccinated early because of my age. I never thought there would be a big chance my april cruise would be cancelled which I think now. I'm frustrated that people now seem to expect it to be 100% safe, which will never happen. Norovirus didnt stop cruises, but cdc and covid have.  I have 0 confidence that when I'm vaccinated I can board a cruise out of the usa. My frustration level is very high. People say no that's wrong, it's not enough to be vaccinated and test negative now herd immunity has to also be reached. The bar to restart keeps moving.  I fear it will never be reached what the cdc wants. Always just out of reach. 

Naive I guess to think the protocols would be enough, and me being vaccinated..or so I'm told. I hear what about the crew and what about the ports, it's not enough you are safe, always some other thing preventing thoughts of starting up. Now people want the ports safe too, it feels like there will never be enough safety for cruises to restart. Now its but the other countries where the ports are isnt safe, they don't have enough vaccine.  I've never been this negative on cruises restarting, as it seems nothing will ever be enough.

Hearing nothing about restarting from the cruiselines isnt a positive sign. So now vaccinated isn't enough its herd immunity.. everywhere? Even in ports? Btw I was a child but dont remember the polio vaccine roll out being forever, it was here take it done, over. Getting this vaccine clearly isnt enough to suit the powers that control cruising. 

I prefer not to constantly set myself up for disappointment so I have set my sights on 2022. I want to cruise as much as the next person, but I see no need for me to get frustrated and mad. I have hobbies and have taken up a couple more since this started to help keep me busy. Once some people are vaccinated it doesn’t mean the world will open up and go on about as usual or even close to it. Things will take time and we need to acknowledge that and be patient. 

On 12/28/2020 at 9:49 AM, Milwaukee Eight said:

Great points and you’re probably right. Many in Florida would have preferred the Snowbirds stay home this year. However, there seems to be a mass exodus from the NE to Florida and other States to have Florida as their permanent residence. 

Our numbers are high. There are long lines to get tested. However, other than a couple of pockets, the hospitals are fine. Most people recover at home. CV19 has made its run through my family and MANY of our friends. It’s really odd how CV19 picks and chooses who it infects and who it makes sick. 

The statistics seem to indicate that less than 2% can attribute their infection to indoor dining. 

We are not being Reckless and agree it’s real, however, we are being responsible for us. IMO, shutting down everything is far more worse than the virus. We can probably agree to disagree. 

M8

I agree about the snow birds. Everyone just needs to stay home so we can get a handle on this much quicker. If people would have done this along with other precautions we wouldn’t be in such a bad situation like we are now.

Covid does not pick and chose who gets infected. It’s the people that do. I believe a large percentage of people that get it have done something to cause it.

I’m curious if you have any inkling as to why covid has run through your family and so many of your friends?

I don’t remember if it was you or not, but someone posted a while back they were at their favorite bar drinking. That person had on a mask, but the bartender didn’t. 😱. I made a comment about it and iirc the reply was that she was a great bartender. I would never have put myself in that situation. I’m not that desperate to get out to drink and socialize. I guess some people are more responsible than others. This will eventually get better, but it will take longer if people aren’t seriously responsible for themselves.

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/28/2020 at 3:02 PM, Milwaukee Eight said:

Then they should remain locked up in their own lockdown and be responsible for themselves. Trust me, we are doing fine while remaining cautious. Maybe you should try it, be responsible for yourself. 

M8

And yet you say it has run thru your family. 🙄

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

I prefer not to constantly set myself up for disappointment so I have set my sights on 2022. I want to cruise as much as the next person, but I see no need for me to get frustrated and mad. I have hobbies and have taken up a couple more since this started to help keep me busy. Once some people are vaccinated it doesn’t mean the world will open up and go on about as usual or even close to it. Things will take time and we need to acknowledge that and be patient. 

Great you arent booked for 2021, I am. Back when I booked it seemed like ships would restart with protocols. I booked the 3 cruises in 2021 quite a while back when things looked different. Also 2022, now all I can do is deal with the cancellations as they come. I'd go on each cruise in april sept and dec if I could.  

I am a little surprised how long it seems it will take to vaccinate people tbh. I remember the polio vaccination and everyone went up to the high school and they had enough to do everyone at once. Early talk was seniors would get it early and now people seem to have no idea when. April??!! Before CVS and Albertsons can have enough to start on others besides front line and nursing homes? 

I suspect my sept and dec cruise will go, if you chose not to book ok, great you got new hobbies.  Some want to cruise when we can if you dont that was your choice. I agree, I didnt think it would take this long to restart and get control of covid and put protocols in place. I certainly thought if vaccines came out late 2020, I'd be good to go by april, or at least have one shot and the cruiselines would restart with the protocols like in italy and other countries. 

I have turned negative on cruiselines and sold all my stock since I've booked these cruises and I had quite a bit unfortunately.  I see now protocols arent going to be enough for cruises to restart. My crystal ball was fuzzy back last march when princess got stuck and the stocks tumbled fast. Out of all but 100 ccl now, even out rcl. Took a loss but sleep better at night. But losing a cruise is nothing vs the stock I held. I'll live if april gets cancelled and move the money. No biggie to me tbh. 

Edited by firefly333

4 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

I’m curious if you have any inkling as to why covid has run through your family and so many of your friends?

4 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

And yet you say it has run thru your family.

Because they were reckless. They believed it wouldn’t affect them. Only two had symptoms, two older brothers, one more so than the other. This was from an indoor early Christmas gathering earlier in the month. 

We haven’t seen my kids and grandkids since my birthday in June and they live less than an hour away.  And that was an outside pool event. 

I believe masks and social distancing are useful in help preventing infection. We wear ours where appropriate. We don’t eat out with large groups. Having said that, I don’t believe in a mask mandate. I do believe business may require them for access. 

We are responsible for us and so far it’s working. 

M8

Edited by Milwaukee Eight
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Great you arent booked for 2021, I am. Back when I booked it seemed like ships would restart with protocols. I booked the 3 cruises in 2021 quite a while back when things looked different. Also 2022, now all I can do is deal with the cancellations as they come. I'd go on each cruise in april sept and dec if I could.  

I am a little surprised how long it seems it will take to vaccinate people tbh. I remember the polio vaccination and everyone went up to the high school and they had enough to do everyone at once. Early talk was seniors would get it early and now people seem to have no idea when. April??!! Before CVS and Albertsons can have enough to start on others besides front line and nursing homes? 

I suspect my sept and dec cruise will go, if you chose not to book ok, great you got new hobbies.  Some want to cruise when we can if you dont that was your choice. I agree, I didnt think it would take this long to restart and get control of covid and put protocols in place. I certainly thought if vaccines came out late 2020, I'd be good to go by april, or at least have one shot and the cruiselines would restart with the protocols like in italy and other countries. 

I have turned negative on cruiselines and sold all my stock since I've booked these cruises and I had quite a bit unfortunately.  I see now protocols arent going to be enough for cruises to restart. My crystal ball was fuzzy back last march when princess got stuck and the stocks tumbled fast. Out of all but 100 ccl now, even out rcl. Took a loss but sleep better at night. But losing a cruise is nothing vs the stock I held. I'll live if april gets cancelled and move the money. No biggie to me tbh. 

In our area, local vaccines for general public 65+ begins today.  First come first serve, 1000 a day until they run out (they have enough for the second injection). People started camping out yesterday. It’s crazy. I’ll wait until I can get an appointment. 

I signed up with the VA to get mine when available. I saw my VA PCP yesterday and I knew more about the process than he did. 

M8

• Like 1

Just now, island lady said:

Don't feel bad.  DH and I both over 65, and still can't even get an appointment.  

I missed the announcement of reservations in Manatee County yesterday morning.  They were gone in less than an hour and more will be announced once a week.  This might take longer than I hoped.

2 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

In our area, local vaccines for general public 65+ begins today.  First come first serve, 1000 a day until they run out (they have enough for the second injection). People started camping out yesterday. It’s crazy. I’ll wait until I can get an appointment. 

I signed up with the VA to get mine when available. I saw my VA PCP yesterday and I knew more about the process than he did. 

M8

Bucky was called yesterday by the VA.  They are simply putting him on "a list" as one of the veterans that wants to get the vaccine, so they know to call him at some point to set up appointment.  No idea when that will be.  

I am on waiting list, just to get a call back, to put me in for resident wanting appointment with Brevard County Health Dept.   I also messaged my doctor, but never got a reply.  

If all else fails...my sister is trying to get doses for her patients...but that is not a given yet.  If she does, she will reserve two for us.  But that may take a long time as well.  She gave us travel inoculations when we about to travel to Panama Canal years ago.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

M8

Brevard County announced yesterday they had received a shipment from Moderna and would start vaccinations on Monday by appointment only.  Problem is, they are made by phone. Every time we called yesterday we got a message saying no one was available and the mailbox was full.  You could press 1 if you wanted to speak to someone and when you did that, you got a busy signal and then were disconnected.  Facebook was full of complaints about it.  It might be easier to camp out.

Sherri🙂

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

I missed the announcement of reservations in Manatee County yesterday morning.  They were gone in less than an hour and more will be announced once a week.  This might take longer than I hoped.

Same thing with Brevard County.  Almost impossible to get through on the phone number (no choice but to call, nothing online to do so).   Finally got through and she said they are over booked.  Will put me on call back list...whenever it becomes available to even make an appointment.  

Guessing weeks maybe?  

3 minutes ago, sjb317 said:

Brevard County announced yesterday they had received a shipment from Moderna and would start vaccinations on Monday by appointment only.  Problem is, they are made by phone. Every time we called yesterday we got a message saying no one was available and the mailbox was full.  You could press 1 if you wanted to speak to someone and when you did that, you got a busy signal and then were disconnected.  Facebook was full of complaints about it.  It might be easier to camp out.

Sherri🙂

Yup, tried all day to call that number yesterday...but finally got through to someone just manning the phone calls coming in.  She told me all the appointments were full up, even the waiting list.  She took my name and phone number to call if something clears.  

I got the feeling..."don't call us...we'll call you" situation.  😞