Chances of cruises from Miami in March?

Encore37

7 hours ago, boatseller said:

I'm still of the opoinion that the lawyers will nix the idea of a vaccination requirement. Just 1 adverse outcome will eliminate the miniscule benefit.”

You still standing by that ridiculous prediction? You think it’s riskier for the lines to require a vaccine then not requiring one from a business and health standpoint still? You are so backwards ..... a vaccine requirement would be just a “minuscule benefit”? I can just shake my head at your beliefs. Covid cases are getting worse every day still ..... Do you have any idea what is going on ? 

Edited by tallnthensome
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, boatseller said:

. . .

I'm still of the opoinion that the lawyers will nix the idea of a vaccination requirement.  Just 1 adverse outcome will eliminate the miniscule benefit.

. . .

While the vaccine will not prevent the disease requiring people to have a vaccine to sail shows that they the cruise lines are doing all that is humanly possible to prevent the spread of the virus. This definitely minimizes their risk, and puts more of the assumption of the risk on the passengers.

26 minutes ago, zqvol said:

While the vaccine will not prevent the disease requiring people to have a vaccine to sail shows that they the cruise lines are doing all that is humanly possible to prevent the spread of the virus. This definitely minimizes their risk, and puts more of the assumption of the risk on the passengers.

Their problem is COVID is very, very, very low risk.  Sorry, that what the numbers show.  The cruise lines are already sheilded from all sorts of things because they're acts of God.  You can sue, but you have no case if you catch Influenza.  Requiring an unproven medication shifts that burdon.  Before you try, FDA approval is meaningless, just ask the manufactures of Zantac.

They can campaign for it all they want, but it's a huge leap to require it.  And if they require a covid vaccine, what about all diseases that are far, far, far more deadly?  I guarantee, there will be a lawyer waiting or the first flu patient hospitalized after a cruise and it's lotto time if someone contracts measels, 

Finally, if "the vaccine will not prevent the disease" what the heck is the point?

If you want to know what adverse scenarios the lawyers are covering...they're starting with 1976.

22 hours ago, Encore37 said:

What do everyone think the chances of March cruises from Miami?  It looks like Carnival has started bring ships and crew back to the USA.  I’m hoping they can give a better answer shortly.

Close to zero chance in March. I expect initial 1-2 ships to start in April with it taking until mid to late summer for most of the fleet to be operating again.

3 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

I'm still of the opoinion that the lawyers will nix the idea of a vaccination requirement. Just 1 adverse outcome will eliminate the miniscule benefit.”

You still standing by that ridiculous prediction? You think it’s riskier for the lines to require a vaccine then not requiring one from a business and health standpoint still? You are so backwards ..... a vaccine requirement would be just a “minuscule benefit”? I can just shake my head at your beliefs. Covid cases are getting worse every day still ..... Do you have any idea what is going on ? 

I guess I have to remind you that number of cases doesn't matter.  Catching a cold, that you statistically won't even know you have, is not a health crisis.  Sorry, those darn numbers again.

A vaccine requirement is only beneficial if it is 100% effective, meaning 0 covid cases ever...ever.  Not even 1.  Then the bubble is burst and the situation will be "OMG!  If not even the vaccine will protect us..."  What a PR nightmare.

They're better of just doing the little safety show and letting it ride.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, boatseller said:

Their problem is COVID is very, very, very low risk.  Sorry, that what the numbers show.  The cruise lines are already sheilded from all sorts of things because they're acts of God.  You can sue, but you have no case if you catch Influenza.  Requiring an unproven medication shifts that burdon.  Before you try, FDA approval is meaningless, just ask the manufactures of Zantac.

They can campaign for it all they want, but it's a huge leap to require it.  And if they require a covid vaccine, what about all diseases that are far, far, far more deadly?  I guarantee, there will be a lawyer waiting or the first flu patient hospitalized after a cruise and it's lotto time if someone contracts measels, 

Finally, if "the vaccine will not prevent the disease" what the heck is the point?

If you want to know what adverse scenarios the lawyers are covering...they're starting with 1976.

Low risk? If the number of positive cases means nothing to you, check out a map of ICU occupancy. Many hospitals have few to no beds left. This is not an ordinary seasonal illness. Cruising is extremely low priority until people stop dropping like flies. 

• Like 2

My guess is that they will start cruising once all of the crew is vaccinated and a good portion of the US population has the opportunity to get the vaccine. I think they will require proof of vaccination for  cruises in 2021. Maybe 2022 if the virus is still an issue.

Although I think cruising now would be fine as long as high risk people didn’t cruise, it seems like even one case on a ship causes panic. I think the only way that cruising will happen during the pandemic is with vaccinations.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

Although I think cruising now would be fine as long as high risk people didn’t cruise,

This is all that has to be done.  Carnival had the right idea back in March.  99.95% of people are fit to cruise and we've known also since March exactly who that .05% is.

The cure has been worse than the disease.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

My personal feeling is the CDC will require vaccination for cruising to start. If that becomes true, you have the following issues:

1. Vaccinated port crews
  2. Vaccinated terminal crew members
  3. Most onboard crew members come from countries that do not have the vaccine. They will be at the bottom of the list for countries that do. 
  4. How to deal with ports being visited for covid safety.

On 12/17/2020 at 9:10 PM, TNcruising02 said:

My guess is that they will start cruising once all of the crew is vaccinated and a good portion of the US population has the opportunity to get the vaccine. I think they will require proof of vaccination for  cruises in 2021. Maybe 2022 if the virus is still an issue.

Although I think cruising now would be fine as long as high risk people didn’t cruise, it seems like even one case on a ship causes panic. I think the only way that cruising will happen during the pandemic is with vaccinations.

I agree, but I think they will give passengers a choice, either get vaccinated or tested prior to cruising.

• Like 1

We are scheduled for a late July cruise on MG, and I'm not even sure that will go, nor if I really want it to go.   We also have a NYE 2021 cruise that I am more optimistic about.  I want to cruise in the summer, but I want to do so safely.   What I don't really understand is Carnival's reluctance to provide any substantive information at this point about realistic expectations of what cruising will look like.  Before I have to pay that final payment in late April (when I think that vaccines are still going to be sparse in the general public), I'd really like to know what cruising will look like in the summer.  Why should I give CCL several thousand dollars if I don't even know if (1) we will be able to take even semi-normal excursions -- the ports of call are important to us and I'd like to know what is being planned before I have to make any final cruising commitments; (2) whether masks are going to be required in public spaces on the ship regardless of vaccine availability (because experts are still saying we need both for the foreseeable future) and how they will go about enforcing it; (3) whether it will be possible for the number of guests going on a cruise to be able to participate in most of the cruise activities on-board (such as the musical shows, comedy shows, etc.) without having to go through a hassle of trying to get reservations because of limited seating and other social distancing issues; (4) whether a vaccine is required (because I'm not sure they can't realistically start requiring a vaccine until it is feasible that a passenger can actually get it before their sailing date); (4) where is the point that CCL is going to cap bookings on a sailing (is it possible some ships are already booked past that point and they will have to cancel some passengers?); and (5) what if a person tests positive at the port or within a few days of the vacation date -- how will refunds work or will there only be FCC?  There's just so many unknowns, and I haven't found too many people here on CC actually discussing this.   Everyone seems to be focused on the date to return, but not what that return will actually look like, or whether it is worth the investment and the risks, both health and financial.  I'm still weighing all of that myself.   Because if I make that final payment, and then Carnival sets out all their guidelines AFTER that date, and then I don't want to go -- what then??   Carnival -- and the others -- should be giving the public more information especially for those of us who may have a final payment due date coming up in the next few months.  At this point, some people are already hovering at that window of time.   I'm wondering if I'm the only person who feels this way.    

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, 80sGal said:

We are scheduled for a late July cruise on MG, and I'm not even sure that will go, nor if I really want it to go.   We also have a NYE 2021 cruise that I am more optimistic about.  I want to cruise in the summer, but I want to do so safely.   What I don't really understand is Carnival's reluctance to provide any substantive information at this point about realistic expectations of what cruising will look like.     

Carnival is reluctant because they don't know - no-one knows.  As far as I am aware, RCI has made no huge pronouncements on when and how sailing will resume, just the same tentative "plans" the rest of the industry is throwing out there.

Two months ago no-one expected the majority of the world to shut their doors to the UK due to a new more-virulent strain, but here we are.

Six months ago there was hope/expectation this pandemic would be fading away by now. (And there were plenty of folks who thought, apparently rightly, the opposite.)

So let's play "what if":

If the cruise lines agree to, or are ordered to, not sail until vaccines are widely available (perhaps with proof of vaccination to be allowed to board)...

and 

If enough people actually get the vaccine when widely available...

then

We'll probably be sailing in May or June.

Alternatively, 

If the cruise lines find a way to quickly, efficiently, and accurately screen passengers for COVID-19, and have a reasonable plan to deal with any cases that arise on board while sailing...

and

The CDC and other governing bodies (like the Governments of the destination port countries) agree that is a viable method for minimizing risk of transmission...

then

We might be sailing as soon as March.

But

If this virus continues to rage and vaccine roll outs are slower than planned...

and/or 

People refuse to get vaccinated in sufficient numbers...

then 

We won't be sailing in 2021 at all, and that would probably destroy a large chunk of the industry.

Cruise Critic Family please be patient and hopeful. We will cruise again when all things are aligned for our total safety. 

This industry is way to big and still only represents a small percentage of US residents that have ever sailed. Too much long term revenue waiting to be tapped.   

22 hours ago, travelhound said:

I agree, but I think they will give passengers a choice, either get vaccinated or tested prior to cruising.

Short term both. I probably will be vaccinated but the cdc is unlikely to remove it pre boarding test protocols. And boarding and debarking. Cdc will err on the side of caution and controlling us. No one else has to follow what they say so they wouldnt lightly give up control.  They love their tv limelight time. Makes they feel so special. 

I think I will be vaccinated but it wouldnt be enough. Cdc order for testing extends to nov 1st. I have zero faith in the worrying about anyone but themselves and their own power to control. Personally I hate the cdc. If I saw them I'd want to spit in their faces. Hypocrites

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Personally I hate the cdc. If I saw them I'd want to spit in their faces. Hypocrites

The CDC employs about 11,000 people.  Do you want to spit on all of them, or just their leadership?  Or just Redfield?

And you do understand that their ultimate direction stems from without, not within.

9 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

The CDC employs about 11,000 people.  Do you want to spit on all of them, or just their leadership?  Or just Redfield?

And you do understand that their ultimate direction stems from without, not within.

Just the decision makers. I think it's stupid that the only thing they control is cruises, everything else is a recommendation, just talk. I'm entitled to my decision, you and others can defend them. Why cant they control anything else but cruises? How does this make sense. They are blah blah blah. 

Whatever you say. If keeping people locked in their homes did any good florida would have way more cases than calif but no, science says 73% of cases are caught at home. Keep on shutting us down and proving how stupid our leaders are. Masks and social distancing are the answer. Get cruises started. Vaccines are started. Get the ships ready to go. If you are at risk stay home. Protecting the vulnerable should be the first goal. 

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 1

The scary part of this whole vaccine episode is when/if people do decide to take the vaccine (jury still somewhat out by a big portion of US citizens) that we don't let our guards down. There is no instant remedy that is being predicted by anyone; unless we got the prescribed "cocktail" that Trump received (jury still out with some US residents on whether he really had the virus)?

Please Keep wearing your mask. We have to be bigger than some of our leaders who believe this was a hoax at the beginning.      

• Like 1