Cape Liberty New Jersey

kidless

1 hour ago, kidless said:

We will be cruising out of New Jersey on Freedom next fall. We would like fly in day before shuttle/uber to hotel then next day shuttle/uber to port. Is Newark Airport and hotels around it the way to go. I'm not familiar with area. 

There are lots of hotels around the Newark Airport area that do provide free shuttle from the airport to the hotel.  The Doubletree Newark Penn is one recommendation.  It is nearby the Portugal section of town to have a nice dinner the night before your cruise.  You can Uber to the cruise port in the morning.  Some people stay at the Country Inn & Suites in Elizabeth.  They have shuttle to the port for a fee.  You can call and check with them.  There's not a lot of dining options in the area.  🍷

• Like 1

When sailing from Bayonne I would typically find an airport hotel that had a free airport shuttle.  You have to take a free airport train from the baggage claim area to the hotel shuttle pickup area.

The next day I'd use Uber or Lyft to the port.  Typically around $15-$18.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, gmerick said:

It would be hard to get more convenient than staying at the Newark Airport Marriott.  Rates are very competitive, the hotel is on the airport, and it's simple 10 mile straight shot to the cruise port.

We’ve only cruised out of New Jersey on a couple of occasions both times we flew into Newark stayed pre cruise at Newark Airport Marriott a very convenient competitively priced hotel.

• Like 1

By all means choose Newark Airport.

In the past, folks have mistakenly chosen JFK and discovered they would need to take a $100 taxi ride to get to the port.  In addition, the ride could take hours depending on the time of day.

• Like 1

FWIW. I have had times where the free shuttles to the hotels, from Newark, were really crowded.  I believe this is because some people are (or were) using them as transportation for shopping.  Crowded enough that they could not fit everyone on them.  The last couple of times we went I ditched the shuttles because they just weren't worth the hassle.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wine-O said:

There are lots of hotels around the Newark Airport area that do provide free shuttle from the airport to the hotel.  The Doubletree Newark Penn is one recommendation.  It is nearby the Portugal section of town to have a nice dinner the night before your cruise.  You can Uber to the cruise port in the morning.  Some people stay at the Country Inn & Suites in Elizabeth.  They have shuttle to the port for a fee.  You can call and check with them.  There's not a lot of dining options in the area.  🍷

Elizabeth New Jersey...yes....I wouldn't recommend the Country Inn/Suites....try the Embassy Suites across the street or even better Residence Inn ...all of these on International Blvd. near a large indoor mall and restaurants (Red Robin closed but I believe IHOP is still open or go into the mall). Quick and cheap Uber from EWR to hotel ...hotel to cruise port and cruise port back to EWR.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kidless said:

We will be cruising out of New Jersey on Freedom next fall. We would like fly in day before shuttle/uber to hotel then next day shuttle/uber to port. Is Newark Airport and hotels around it the way to go. I'm not familiar with area. 

Don't worry about it there are plenty of hotels/motels by the airport.  Many provide free shuttles to/from the airport, however, it's a rarity for any of them to provide shuttles to the cruise terminal.  Plenty of taxis and private transportation providers, eg uber, lyft.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kidless said:

We will be cruising out of New Jersey on Freedom next fall. We would like fly in day before shuttle/uber to hotel then next day shuttle/uber to port. Is Newark Airport and hotels around it the way to go. I'm not familiar with area. 

We stay at the Embassy Suites in Elizabeth when we sail from Bayonne.  There is a Ruby Tuesday's across that street that is just okay.  Limited happy hour at Embassy, only one free drink due to NJ law, and snacks are hit or miss.  They likely don't have it all laid out anymore due to covid restrictions anyway.  They have a shuttle to the port that you can sign up for once you check in.  Not sure of the cost as we drive in, not fly.  There is a big outlet mall across the way that has some food options.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ashland said:

Elizabeth New Jersey...yes....I wouldn't recommend the Country Inn/Suites....try the Embassy Suites across the street or even better Residence Inn ...all of these on International Blvd. near a large indoor mall and restaurants (Red Robin closed but I believe IHOP is still open or go into the mall). Quick and cheap Uber from EWR to hotel ...hotel to cruise port and cruise port back to EWR.

Curious why you don't recommend Country Inn?  When looking in the past, I have noted both Embassy Suites and Country Inn in Elizabeth.

3 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

We stay at the Embassy Suites in Elizabeth when we sail from Bayonne.  There is a Ruby Tuesday's across that street that is just okay.  Limited happy hour at Embassy, only one free drink due to NJ law, and snacks are hit or miss.  They likely don't have it all laid out anymore due to covid restrictions anyway.  They have a shuttle to the port that you can sign up for once you check in.  Not sure of the cost as we drive in, not fly.  There is a big outlet mall across the way that has some food options.

Sorry in my post #12 I said Red Robin instead of Ruby Tuesdays...regardless I believe they've closed.

2 hours ago, LuCruise said:

Curious why you don't recommend Country Inn?  When looking in the past, I have noted both Embassy Suites and Country Inn in Elizabeth.

It (Country Inn) was a dump...continuing renovation that has been going on for years. We were even upgraded because of status with membership...Dirty and mold in the bathroom...I will never stay there again if it had have been more than one night I would have checked out...we don't need fancy but it must be clean...Much better options across and down the street.

Edited by Ashland

4 minutes ago, Ashland said:

It (Country Inn) was a dump...continuing renovation that has been going on for years. We were even upgraded because of status with membership...Dirty and mold in the bathroom...I will never stay there again if it had have been more than one night I would have checked out...we don't need fancy but it must be clean...Much better options across and down the street.

Thanks for the feedback.  Will definitely consider that for the future.

1 hour ago, franncos said:

I would 1st wait to make sure you cruise is not cancelled before making any kind of travel arrangements. I would say your cruise has a 50/50 chance of sailing.

You can wait...but reservations can be cancelled. I book early JMHO. 

50/50 :classic_ohmy:.... I hope to sail again on this itinerary October 14, 2021...but if it doesn't ...oh well.

Edited by Ashland
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, franncos said:

I would 1st wait to make sure you cruise is not cancelled before making any kind of travel arrangements. I would say your cruise has a 50/50 chance of sailing.

No reason to wait booking the hotel unless they are booking a non-refundable rate.  We always book our hotel rooms early to guarantee we can stay where we prefer.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

We also recommend the Newark Airport Hilton.  Free shuttle, decent restaurant.  Stayed at the DoubleTree once, terrible experience.  

We stayed there once too and didn't like the location or the hotel.  It catered to airline crew and couldn't care less about anyone else.

12 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

We stayed there once too and didn't like the location or the hotel.  It catered to airline crew and couldn't care less about anyone else.

Yes, it took forever to check in, and they tried to give me a cheaper room than I had booked.  I was able to call up the booking confirmation on my email and the nasty clerk finally gave me the proper room.  Then I went to the complimentary happy hour which consisted of cheap beer and wine, no spirits at all.  Snacks consisted of warm cheese and stale crackers.  Lovely.

• Like 1