WILL PRICES EVER COME DOWN?

elaineb

35 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Anyone know which cruiselines show you the final price online, like X does?  With Regent and Silversea, I had to wait for a quote.  Not a big deal.

On Regent you can see the final price immediately.  Don't click on request a quote. Next to that is the button: Plan My Cruise.  When you select that, you'll go to a page to select your gateway airport for included air.  When you continue, the next page will show you all of the cabin categories with pricing and size.

If you click on the cabin category, you'll see all the information about that cabin.  Don't forget, the pricing will be two categories below the actual cabin you want until this promotion is over.  Also they're doing a 50% deposit at this time.

I can't speak for Silversea.

Edited by ChucktownSteve
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ChucktownSteve said:

On Regent you can see the final price immediately.  Don't click on request a quote. Next to that is the button: Plan My Cruise.  When you select that, you'll go to a page to select your gateway airport for included air.  When you continue, the next page will show you all of the cabin categories with pricing and size.

If you click on the cabin category, you'll see all the information about that cabin.  Don't forget, the pricing will be two categories below the actual cabin you want until this promotion is over.  Also they're doing a 50% deposit at this time.

I can't speak for Silversea.

Very helpful thank you!

Are people actually booking at these prices or is it 100% either L&S or FCC?

This is a Silhouette 7 day sailing in June.   S1.  Almost $1900 per day. 

Sky Suite

First Guest

$6,489.00

Second Guest

$6,489.00

The Retreat - Refundable

Streaming Wi-Fi$300 per person in shore excursion and onboard creditsPremium drinksTipsDiningBreakfast, Lunch, Dinner included at select venues

Exclusive Access to LuminaeTaxes & FeeTaxes, Fees, and Port Expenses

$206.04

Trip Total

$13,184.04 USD

That is some price! We had a eight day Spain and France Cruise on the Silhouette in a Sky Suite last May (cancelled) for less than $3000 each ex- Southampton.

We have a couple of reasonably priced cruises to Eastern Med and Far East booked with unused deposits for end 2021 and early 2022 but will certainly be looking at the premium brands. We plan fewer cruises as have a new labrador, so will likely spend more on the ones we book.

4 hours ago, ECCruise said:

Are people actually booking at these prices or is it 100% either L&S or FCC?

This is a Silhouette 7 day sailing in June.   S1.  Almost $1900 per day. 

Sky Suite

First Guest

$6,489.00

Second Guest

$6,489.00

The Retreat - Refundable

Streaming Wi-Fi$300 per person in shore excursion and onboard creditsPremium drinksTipsDiningBreakfast, Lunch, Dinner included at select venues

Exclusive Access to LuminaeTaxes & FeeTaxes, Fees, and Port Expenses

$206.04

Trip Total

$13,184.04 USD

I would say that no one is booking at most of these prices.  I do not consider them “real prices”.

I have seen this previously in certain categories.

I am not sure that Celebrity realizes the harm it causes by presenting those prices.  It does provide ammunition  for people to say how much Celebrity has increased their prices.  In reality most people are booked at last year’s or previous year’s prices.

IMO

Edited by jagoffee

7 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

I would say that no one is booking at most of these prices.  I do not consider them “real prices”.

I am not sure that Celebrity realizes the harm it causes by presenting those prices.  It does provide ammunition  for people to say how much Celebrity has increased their prices.  In reality most people are booked at last year’s or previous year’s prices.

IMO

I think the key is they don't realize the harm they create by rolling out these boneheaded prices.  It was enough for us to book 5 sailings on other lines in the last 3 weeks.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

I think the key is they don't realize the harm they create by rolling out these boneheaded prices.  It was enough for us to book 5 sailings on other lines in the last 3 weeks.

True.  I am not sure that Celebrity rolled them out.  They might be system driven based on demand.

Either way, it harms their image.  There were many people that were convinced that the higher prices were related to the AI, I was not.

perhaps Celebrity is in good shape with overall bookings because of all their programs and the shutdown.  I am looking forward to seeing the pricing on the upcoming new releases for 2023.

Edited by jagoffee

4 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

There is a bonehead (ME) born every minute.  I justified doing so because my May 2020 and Jan 2021 were both cancelled.  So I decided to be like Wrigley gum and double my pleasure, double my fun.  Took what I would have spent on both cancelled cruises and combined to book a nice suite.  YOLO

Edited by LGW59
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, LGW59 said:

There is a bonehead (ME) born every minute.  I justified doing so because my May 2020 and Jan 2021 were both cancelled.  So I decided to be like Wrigley gum and double my pleasure, double my fun.  Took what I would have spent on both cancelled cruises and combined to book a nice suite.  YOLO

I completely understand.  And if there was not a lot of stuff out there to book, I would agree.  But there is a plethora of sailings at both crazy and very reasonable prices.

We went with very reasonable.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

IMO

So what will make prices come down (if at all)?  When will they change?

1 minute ago, zitsky said:

So what will make prices come down (if at all)?  When will they change?

When people either cancel what they have booked or the high demand drops for future cruises.  
Since the new releases will not be eligible for the L&S program, it might 

give us an indication.  Although there are a lot of people anxious to book.  

41 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

When people either cancel what they have booked or the high demand drops for future cruises.  
Since the new releases will not be eligible for the L&S program, it might 

give us an indication.  Although there are a lot of people anxious to book.  

I've thought about not going for a Nov 2021 cruise.  Maybe wait til 2022.

1 hour ago, LGW59 said:

Fellow bonehead here.  While I don't like the prices, I look at the six cruises we have had cancelled so far (and potentially a couple more upcoming later this year), as well as my age (69) and look at overall all that has been lost this past year.  (and my losses are nothing compared to many - I am certainly aware of that).  And then I decide that who knows how many more years I can do this, so we are looking to bump up our usual AQ cabins to Sky Suites when the prices are not exorbitantly more.  If there is anything this last year has taught me it's to live life as best you can, while you can.  Definitely YOLO. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Fellow bonehead here.  While I don't like the prices, I look at the six cruises we have had cancelled so far (and potentially a couple more upcoming later this year), as well as my age (69) and look at overall all that has been lost this past year.  (and my losses are nothing compared to many - I am certainly aware of that).  And then I decide that who knows how many more years I can do this, so we are looking to bump up our usual AQ cabins to Sky Suites when the prices are not exorbitantly more.  If there is anything this last year has taught me it's to live life as best you can, while you can.  Definitely YOLO. 

In looking at a number of different cruises on APEX, EDGE and Summit, they seem to be filling up quickly, esp at the suite level (Celebrity must be doing cartwheels).  Of course, I do not know if a result of FCC, L&S or new bookings, but the demand is clearly there either way.

I have an Azamara Greece cruise booked for June I'm about to cancel because final payment is 120 days out.  I already have one fully paid Celebrity cruise for 2022 because I had to pay the final payment for a January cruise before a lift and shift.  I'm not about to give RCL group another fully paid cruise just to get a FCC to be used within 18 months.  AZ hasn't released 2023 desirable cruises for me so I'll probably just eat the $150 cancellation fee. 

However. today I instead booked a 16 day 2023 Panama Canal cruise on Regent as a result of my Celebrity comparison Analysis posted earlier.  So RCL group not only lost out but I suspect going forward I'll also be looking elsewhere once I experience the luxury line.

Actions have consequences.

Edited by ChucktownSteve
  • Like 1

Hey ChucktownSteve!

Well done, another CC poster moving on from Celebrity. Celebrity prices are too high and discerning consumers are increasingly recognizing this.  

Compliments to you for looking around at suppliers and Not being loyal.

It is all about you, not the cruise lines.

7 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

I have an Azamara Greece cruise booked for June I'm about to cancel because final payment is 120 days out.  I already have one fully paid cruise on Celebrity for 2022 because I had to pay the final payment for a January cruise before a lift and shift.  I'm not about to give RCL group another fully paid cruise just to get a FCC to be used within 18 months.  AZ hasn't released 2023 desirable cruises for me so I'll probably just eat the $150 cancellation fee. 

However. today I instead booked a 16 day 2023 Panama Canal cruise on Regent as a result of my Celebrity comparison Analysis posted earlier.  So RCL group not only lost out but I suspect I'll be looking elsewhere once I experience the luxury line.

Actions have consequences.

My husband is looking for a Canal cruise.  What port does it start from?  Is it called "Panama Canal"?

11 minutes ago, ABoatNerd said:

Hey ChucktownSteve!

Well done, another CC poster moving on from Celebrity. Celebrity prices are too high and discerning consumers are increasingly recognizing this.  

Compliments to you for looking around at suppliers and Not being loyal.

It is all about you, not the cruise lines.

Thank you.  I still will have a December Azamara cruise if they don't cancel it.  It's a 13 night.

I am Elite/Discoverer so I'll still shop Celebrity if I like my Apex February cruise and consider Azamara itineraries if the prices on both lines become more reasonable.  But I suspect they'll need to raise the bar because I've now broadened my shopping considerations.

We shopped around and did a couple of HAL cruises two years ago as the food quality on Celebrity eroded.  We enjoyed them as a Celebrity equal but better food. lol

Edited by ChucktownSteve

Just now, ChucktownSteve said:

Thank you.  I still will have a December Azamara cruise if they don't cancel it.  It's a 13 night.

I am Elite/Discoverer so I'll still shop Celebrity if I like my Apex February cruise and consider Azamara itineraries if the prices on both lines become more reasonable.  But I suspect they'll need to raise the bar because I've now broadened my shopping considerations.

Indeed ChucktownSteve - it is really all about You and each consumer.

Glad you are booked and happy.

Shop around is the name of the game. We have done the same thing for many years and Celebrity never measures up for price and product versus the premium lines.

Sailed Celebrity from 1989 onwards and then in 2016 the degradation started and well they do not compete with the premium lines if you are paying suite prices.

To each their own value proposition, but it is obvious there is a backlash at Celebrity.

After our February 2021 ABC cruise on Connie was cancelled, looked for alternatives.  Celebrity no longer fit our needs from a cost/benefit perspective especially since they started asking over double for the same itinerary.

Eastbound 16-day TA Mar 2022 in an S4 suite on Sky Princess (equivalent to Celebrity Reflection in size, quality and service) for $5,500 each.  Westbound 23-Day TA November 2022 in a PH2 (Penthouse Suite (lowest full suite category)) on Oceania Riviera (1,250 passenger, 800 crew) for $7400 each with $600 OBC each and unlimited access to specialty restaurants.  

The values/quality are out there and they are NOT with Celebrity anymore.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2021 at 10:47 PM, ChucktownSteve said:

The Celebrity Millennium cruise for the S1 is priced at this moment at $9,294.51pp which is $619pp/pd.  The Regent Splendor is priced at $568pp/pd.

Did another price comparison since Regent lowered their prices overnight on this Panama Canal cruise.

Upgrading to a Penthouse B with butler which is 561SF cabin and 52.1SF balcony is $628.06pp/pd. Again it also includes air & transfer and a five star hotel night pre-cruise in L.A. area.

The December '22 Millennium Cruise for the S1 is now $646.30pp/pd non-refundable this morning. This cabin is 308SF.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, LGW59 said:

In looking at a number of different cruises on APEX, EDGE and Summit, they seem to be filling up quickly, esp at the suite level (Celebrity must be doing cartwheels).  Of course, I do not know if a result of FCC, L&S or new bookings, but the demand is clearly there either way.

Agreed.  If you see a cruise you like, at a price you can live with, it behooves you to put down your deposit now.  Depending on the date of the sailing, you might also be able to fall within the Cruise With Confidence 48 hour 100% FCC cancellation offering if you book by 1/31/21.  

Some cruises are indeed filling up quickly, especially suites.  I think many people feel like I do - missed so much cruising-wise this past year when I can cruise again I want to treat myself.  But once those suites start filling, the prices rise accordingly.  On one of the ABC cruises we are considering the suite price was literally about double the AQ price, so on that one we will be looking forward to Blu instead of Luminae.  I know those cruises book up quickly as they are so popular, so I advise anyone looking at those to decide soon.

As I put down those deposits on the 2022 cruises (3 of them), my heart was thumping a bit wondering if the cruise lines will even be in business by then.  I have faith that there will be cruises - no way those hundreds of ships will go to the junkyard - but will they be owned by the same companies and if not, what would happen to our deposits  But I decided the risk was worth it.  DH and I love cruising and as retirees we don't know how many more years we will be able to do this so the risk seems like one worth taking.