Dinner attire on Celebrity

sellwingri

I’m sailing on Celebrity in September.  We’ll be on Edge in the Mediterranean which is port intensive.  Are jeans with a nice top allowed in the dining room for dinner?  I’m Diamond Plus on Royal and the wearing of nice attire has dropped over the past couple of years.

16 minutes ago, sellwingri said:

I’m sailing on Celebrity in September.  We’ll be on Edge in the Mediterranean which is port intensive.  Are jeans with a nice top allowed in the dining room for dinner?  I’m Diamond Plus on Royal and the wearing of nice attire has dropped over the past couple of years.

Yes. Celebrity has changed also. Nothing to do with tier level. Celebrity's website explains the evening dress guidelines in detail. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, sellwingri said:

Yes jeans are ok, as long as they are not ripped/distressed.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, George C said:

I have seen shorts and baseball cap on backwards , but in general most people dress and have not seen many jeans . 

I guess you don't cruise on RCL or Celebrity much anymore huh? I've seen a LOT of jeans, many of them not designer or nice.

More often than not designer jeans are more likely to be ripped or distressed than cheap jean. 

7 minutes ago, ORV said:

I guess you don't cruise on RCL or Celebrity much anymore huh? I've seen a LOT of jeans, many of them not designer or nice.

More often than not designer jeans are more likely to be ripped or distressed than cheap jean. 

I cruised on Celebrity last year on a regular cruise and cruise a lot on rccl , you cannot compare how people dress on these lines shorts and jeans are very common place on rccl not on celebrity. We cruise twice a year normally one or the other , I was questioned by the maitrde in celeberty Luminae for not having a shirt with sleeves for breakfast last year. You sound like you do more rccl than celebrity. 

• Like 2

Whether you like it or not, people will judge you by how you appear. If you don't care, then wear anything you like.  The worst that would happen at the dining facility is they'll ask you to change if you dropped below their standards.  But those standards are pretty low compared to what they used to be.

3 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

Whether you like it or not, people will judge you by how you appear. If you don't care, then wear anything you like.  The worst that would happen at the dining facility is they'll ask you to change if you dropped below their standards.  But those standards are pretty low compared to what they used to be.

Hmmm, while *some* people may judge you, many won't. They really don't care, which is why we see a very more relaxed level of dress than we did in the past. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, just different.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, bigbenboys said:

One of the main reasons we cruise on Celebrity is because of the dress code. Celebrity calls it "Smart Casual and Above." We dine in Luminae and I wear jeans and a polo shirt or short sleeve shirts.

Celebrity calls it Smart Casual and Evening Chic. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, George C said:

I cruised on Celebrity last year on a regular cruise and cruise a lot on rccl , you cannot compare how people dress on these lines shorts and jeans are very common place on rccl not on celebrity. We cruise twice a year normally one or the other , I was questioned by the maitrde in celeberty Luminae for not having a shirt with sleeves for breakfast last year. You sound like you do more rccl than celebrity. 

Actually, twice on RCCL and over 15 on Celebrity. You mean as in a muscle shirt or a short sleeve shirt? I can't imagine a Matri D in any restaurant requiring long sleeves for breakfast. If it was a muscle shirt, they're tacky anywhere, even at the pool, much less at breakfast. There are very few people that look good in them. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We "dress" for dinner regardless of the venue.  That doesn't mean formal, but "upscale" resort.  But that is just us, enjoying our cruise.  Use common sense and you should be fine.

A couple of years ago we were on a Princess cruise and ate in the MDR on formal night.  A guy a couple of tables over wore bib overalls.  He thought he was hilarious.  There is just a different vibe on Princess compared to Celebrity.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, El Crucero said:

We "dress" for dinner regardless of the venue.  That doesn't mean formal, but "upscale" resort.  But that is just us, enjoying our cruise.  Use common sense and you should be fine.

A couple of years ago we were on a Princess cruise and ate in the MDR on formal night.  A guy a couple of tables over wore bib overalls.  He thought he was hilarious.  There is just a different vibe on Princess compared to Celebrity.

I am with you, I wear either a short or long sleeve polo, collared shirt, khakis, "dress sneakers" or slip on loafers, I just never attend any event on-board where a jacket and tie is required or suggested.

• Like 3

IOP Celebrity's dress guidelines for the MDR in the evening are now and finally spot on. 👍 Easy and clear to understand. Since the introduction of Evening Chic, I no longer haul a suit and my wife no longer hauls dresses. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 2

Celebrity's dress code, as it is now stated, has become more informal than most other lines on which we cruise.  I presume most major cruiselines will head in that same direction, as the dress code enforcement has been relaxed greatly over the last decade or so .. maybe longer.  

Celebrity's own dress code recommendations list jeans (nice jeans) as perfectly acceptable in the MDR.  You will be fine!  

2 hours ago, LGW59 said:

I just never attend any event on-board where a jacket and tie is required or suggested.

I take a blazer along and wear it with an open collar shirt for most meals and C.C. events, otherwise I would look "shabby" compared to my elegant wife.  Again, that is just us, I am not suggesting anyone else is required to do that.

13 minutes ago, El Crucero said:

I take a blazer along and wear it with an open collar shirt for most meals and C.C. events, otherwise I would look "shabby" compared to my elegant wife.  Again, that is just us, I am not suggesting anyone else is required to do that.

Well of course it is your job to always make sure your DW looks more elegant that you!  If she is dressed to the "nines" you had better be no more than a "seven" 🙂 

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, El Crucero said:

I just ditched my tux a couple of years ago, but wife always dresses elegantly so I always bring my sport jacket and nice dress shirts for dinner but skip the tie. Definitely prefer how people dress on Celebrity compared to rccl. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, George C said:

I just ditched my tux a couple of years ago, but wife always dresses elegantly so I always bring my sport jacket and nice dress shirts for dinner but skip the tie. Definitely prefer how people dress on Celebrity compared to rccl. 

George C, I think that you and El Crucero should plan a cruise together, sounds like your DW's will be the belles of the ball and you are both playing a happy and willing second fiddle!

• Like 3

Those look like the pair I wear to the gym!  I have plenty of miles on them after eating all that free gelato and real ice cream! On a positive note, your flooring looks like real wood (the gelato of flooring) and not that vinyl veneer stuff.

C'mon, it's the day after Christmas and we're just having some fun here.

Edited by El Crucero
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, El Crucero said:

Those look like the pair I wear to the gym!  I have plenty of miles on them after eating all that free gelato and real ice cream! On a positive note, your flooring looks like real wood (the gelato of flooring) and not that vinyl veneer stuff.

C'mon, it's the day after Christmas and we're just having some fun here.

Then you clearly have good taste and MUST be the best dressed in your gym in those "dress sneakers"!!