Regent Dining

flossie009

On recent threads there have been various questions and discussions about dining on board so I thought I would try to summarise the various options.

These are from our memories of sailing on the various Regent ships pre-covid shutdown.

If anything is incorrect or missing I am sure other frequent cruisers will chime in.

EXPLORER & SPLENDOR

Breakfast (times dependant on port arrival time but generally open from 6am): 

• Pool Grill - Fitness Breakfast
  • Compass Rose - waiter service; full hot & cold menu 
  • La Veranda - extensive hot & cold buffet plus egg station for cooked to order (a sample menu is on the Regent website)
  • Room Service - may be ordered the night before by filling out a breakfast card & hanging outside suite door. Served in the room or on the balcony with full set-up including table linen
  • Coffee Connection - fruit, cereal, cold cuts etc

On Sundays there is the added option of caviar & champagne in Compass Rose and La Veranda

Lunch (times vary) (Sample lunch menus for some venues are available on the Regent website😞

• Pool Grill - Daily specials plus burgers, hot-dogs, salads etc 
  • Speciality restaurants - on sea days both Prime 7 & Chartreuse are open with lunch menus. On port days one or other will be open for lunch - no reservations are required for lunch - Pacific Rim does not open for lunch
  • La Veranda - extensive hot & cold buffet plus pizza station 
  • Compass Rose - this restaurant does not open for lunch on Explorer or Splendor; apart from when there is a Sunday at sea, when an extravagant & extensive Sunday Brunch will be staged.

Note: on embarkation day only the Pool Grill & La Veranda are open for lunch

Dinner (6:30pm - 9:30pm) (sample dinner menus are available for all venues on the Regent website😞

• Compass Rose - open seating - daily specials plus extensive “always available” menu 
  • Sette Mari at La Veranda - "Italian" cuisine - part waiter service, part buffet 
  • Pool Grill - casual dining (the only venue where the evening dress code does not apply)
  • Chartreuse - reservations required - “French” cuisine
  • Pacific Rim - reservations required - “Asian & Pan-Asian” cuisine
  • Prime 7 - reservations required - American Steakhouse
  • Room Service - during restaurant dinner hours, dishes from the Compass Rose menu may be ordered for service in your suite

VOYAGER & MARINER

Breakfast

• as Explorer, above

Lunch

Lunch (Sample lunch menus are available on the Regent website)

• Pool Grill - Daily specials plus burgers, hot-dogs, salads etc 
  • La Veranda - extensive hot & cold buffet plus pizza station
  • Compass Rose - waiter service - the lunch menu includes dishes from the Explorer speciality restaurant lunch menus and from the Pacific Rim dinner menu  

Note: on embarkation day only the Pool Grill & La Veranda are open for lunch

Dinner

• as Explorer; but without Pacific Rim

NAVIGATOR

Breakfast

• as Explorer

Lunch

• as Voyager & Mariner

Dinner

• as Explorer; but without Pacific Rim & Chartreuse; the only speciality restaurant being Prime 7

In addition, on all ships:

• Afternoon Tea is served daily in one of the lounges - scones, sandwiches & cakes served with tea, coffee ……… and/or a drink from the bar
  • Coffee Connection is open all day (until 6pm?) for cold snacks
  • a room service menu is available 24 hours (a sample menu is on the Regent website)
  • If they have the ingredients on board, & given 24/48 hrs notice, the chef will be pleased to prepare any dish you may desire; from liver & bacon to a full Indian feast
  • Occasionally if the ship is in port for the evening, & weather conditions are suitable, an extravagant evening Deck BBQ party may be held. In this case the speciality restaurants will be closed on that evening. 

I hope this helps those new to Regent; and remember that all the dining options are included in the cruise fare 😀

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

Let us hope that when the ships start sailing, and before the dreaded covid has been eliminated from the world, we are not faced with a dining experience as depicted in this short vignette:

😱 😷 😮

Edited by flossie009
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Thanks Flossie for your helpful summary. We are more curious about dinners. Booked on Explorer November 2021. Will you please  give your personal opinion on specialty restaurants(rating) and difficulty/ease of booking (we are booked Concierge, so no butler) . There will be 6 of us (3 couples) 

Really appreciate your input

TY for the extensive dining descriptions.  We'll be on the Mariner for an AK cruise which includes two Sundays. One is at sea and the other is cruising the Glacier.  Does anyone know if the latter is considered a sea day because of no port or would there be no extensive Sunday brunch that day?

I really enjoy caviar. 😁

Caviar & champagne is an option every Sunday breakfast on all ships in Compass Rose & La Veranda - whether at sea or in port.

The Sunday Sea Day Brunch is only on Explorer & Splendor; but only once per cruise segment even if there are two Sundays at sea.

Edited by flossie009

4 hours ago, docmark said:

Will you please  give your personal opinion on specialty restaurants(rating)

All three speciality restaurants on Explorer are very good; serving delicious food in elegant surroundings. 
We like to have at least one meal in each per cruise, but forced to give a preference would put them in the order Pacific Rim, Chartreuse and then Prime 7. However, food & drink is so subjective that others would no doubt put them in a different order.

Compass Rose has the most extensive & varied menu on board so we enjoy dining in there most evenings.

Our least favourite restaurant is Sette Mari, but others rave about the venue. If you enjoy eating under the stars then the outside deck of Sette Mari is for you (if not too windy)

We have never tried the casual dining at the Pool Grill for dinner.

4 hours ago, docmark said:

difficulty/ease of booking

90 days before your cruise you will be able to make one reservation in each of the three speciality restaurants. I believe your cruise comprises two segments so you may find that you are able to pre-book once in each restaurant for each segment.

If you wish to dine with the other couples in your party, agree times & dates before and have their booking numbers to hand when you book your dining on line.

The ability to share may be restricted immediately post Covid; any problems simply ring the Regent office and they will assist.

To make further reservations when on board, simply call in to the Dining Reservations desk (near Reception from memory) or telephone from your suite.

Given the length of you cruise, you should have no difficulty getting further reservations; particularly if you remain flexible on timing.

There is no preferential treatment for reservations apart from the occupants of Grand Suites & above.

Being a party of six, it is probably worth  making contact with the Food & Beverage Manager in the first few days of the cruise. He/she will be able to help with any special arrangements for your group.

Edited by flossie009

5 hours ago, flossie009 said:

Let us hope that when the ships start sailing, and before the dreaded covid has been eliminated from the world, we are not faced with a dining experience as depicted in this short vignette:

😱 😷 😮

Amazon Prime gives us access to "The Goes Wrong Show". It's so funny. I don't think we have this episode yet, but I'll look for it. But dining on Splendor next September is something I don't want to think about at this point.

Thanks Susan for the great dining recap.   So glad you corrected my erroneous comment about Compass Rose being open for lunch on embarkation day. I thought at one time that was true but you are so right, it isn't

I agree with your ranking of the specialities though we do enjoy going to Sette Mari. Maybe not as much since the new menu was introduced in Compass Rose a few years ago.  We still go at least once or twice on any cruise over 20 days just for the variety.   As well we haven't tried dining at the Pool Grill for dinner. 

2 hours ago, 1982CruzStart said:

So glad you corrected my erroneous comment about Compass Rose being open for lunch on embarkation day. I thought at one time that was true but you are so right, it isn't

🤔 My memory is probably also failing but I think Compass Rose may be open at lunch on changeover day, but only for those guests continuing from one segment to the next (on Voyager, Mariner & Navigator) 🤔   - but perhaps that is only on Grand Voyages & the World Cruises? 

Also, there are sometimes groups of local Travel Agents being entertained in Compass Rose on changeover day.

Edited by flossie009

2 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

🤔 My memory may also be failing but I think Compass Rose may be open at lunch on changeover day for those guests continuing from one segment to the next (on Voyager, Mariner & Navigator) 🤔   - but perhaps that is only on Grand Voyages & the World Cruises? 

We enjoyed CR for changeover day lunches several times - don't think it was only on our Grand Voyage or World Cruise.

• Thanks 1

The summary of the restaurants is great, thank you.

One thing that is nice, especially for us on a day when we  get back from a morning excursion and want something from the pool grill and not wanting to sit outside in the pool grill.  Get a table in La Veranda and note the table number, then go to the pool grill and order what you want and give them your number.  It's a great way to cool down inside.  You will see that their hot dogs are also very popular.

• Like 1

On 12/26/2020 at 3:38 PM, flossie009 said:

Caviar & champagne is an option every Sunday breakfast on all ships in Compass Rose & La Veranda - whether at sea or in port.

The Sunday Sea Day Brunch is only on Explorer & Splendor; but only once per cruise segment even if there are two Sundays at sea.

This is enjoyable, however I don't really understand why they can't do it on all ships.

• Like 1

On 12/26/2020 at 7:20 PM, flossie009 said:

All three speciality restaurants on Explorer are very good; serving delicious food in elegant surroundings. 
We like to have at least one meal in each per cruise, but forced to give a preference would put them in the order Pacific Rim, Chartreuse and then Prime 7. However, food & drink is so subjective that others would no doubt put them in a different order.

Compass Rose has the most extensive & varied menu on board so we enjoy dining in there most evenings.

Our least favourite restaurant is Sette Mari, but others rave about the venue. If you enjoy eating under the stars then the outside deck of Sette Mari is for you (if not too windy)

We have never tried the casual dining at the Pool Grill for dinner.

I agree with every word of this.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/26/2020 at 7:28 PM, flossie009 said:

Thank you flossie009 for all that dining information it will be very helpful to me , we have just booked our first cruise on the Explorer Japan to Alaska 2023 , I know it a long way off but we are very excited to be doing our first regent cruise so finding out all the information I can . Thank you ☺️ 

• Thanks 1