Safely using an electric wheelchair on the streets & sidewalks around the Nassau port area

Hangman115

I have not  been to Nassau in many years. Did not really look at hadicap access until I now need a wheelchair.

Watching recent walking tour videos online. From what i see whhelchairs may have trouble getting off sidewalks to cross at the corner. I also it it would be suicide for me to try and ride in those tight streets. 

My question has anyone had experiebce with handicap acces. Are there curb cuts at the corner or would I have to get off my chair and lift it up or down from sidewalk to sidewalk?

Any advice you can give on me doing a self tour. I know the Straw Market would be nice but the videos I see those aisles are so narrow. making it unsafe for my chair. And I would rather check out other sights rather than just the certified hair braiding station. They have a handicap ramp from what i have see.

I operate a Jazzy Elite electric wheelchair at home. My hope I can walk a bit more on my next sailing and use either a folding wheelchair or a rollator which may allow me to go inside and explore shops my wheelchair would not safely maneuver in. 

• 3 months later...
On 12/27/2020 at 9:04 AM, Hangman115 said:

I have not  been to Nassau in many years. Did not really look at hadicap access until I now need a wheelchair.

Watching recent walking tour videos online. From what i see whhelchairs may have trouble getting off sidewalks to cross at the corner. I also it it would be suicide for me to try and ride in those tight streets. 

My question has anyone had experiebce with handicap acces. Are there curb cuts at the corner or would I have to get off my chair and lift it up or down from sidewalk to sidewalk?

Any advice you can give on me doing a self tour. I know the Straw Market would be nice but the videos I see those aisles are so narrow. making it unsafe for my chair. And I would rather check out other sights rather than just the certified hair braiding station. They have a handicap ramp from what i have see.

I operate a Jazzy Elite electric wheelchair at home. My hope I can walk a bit more on my next sailing and use either a folding wheelchair or a rollator which may allow me to go inside and explore shops my wheelchair would not safely maneuver in. 

There are a lot of curb cuts. Some of them are a bit steep. There are a few that don't have curb cuts and you have to stand up, wheel the chair down, and get back in it. The straw market has a ramp and you can navigate all around it but some paths are very narrow. If you have someone with you to help at certain spots then it will be easy. If not, it will be a little tougher in some spots.

This is a much better option than your Pride Jazzy:

https://www.foldandgowheelchairs.com/

• 3 months later...