Picture-A-Week 2021 - Week 01

pierces

Pictures taken between Monday, December 28 and Sunday, January 3.

First week of 2021! Things are still rough and most of the problems that spawned in 2020 will continue into 2021 for a while. At least there is some light at the end of the tunnel and we can reasonably predict that it isn't an oncoming train. Cruising should resume and getting out and about will be easier before too long. Until then, I personally intend to make it a point to take more pictures of things that make me smile.  Photography has always been a form of therapy for me. Trying to find interesting compositions and subjects takes my attention off the harsher things that surround us. Not in a delusional, all-I-see-is-unicorns-pooping-rainbows way, but rather an attempt to find and capture the beauty in the world that is so often overlooked. I realize I am preaching to the choir here since this is a photography thread, so I challenge all of you to take some time this year and encourage friends and family to join you in capturing happy images and sharing them. Maybe you can bring a smile to a face in need of one...or even save a life.

Happy New Year! 

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest.

All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others!

🍾 To a Happy, healthy, peaceful and photography-inspiring 2021!  📸

This is a stanhopea (also known as upside-down) orchid I came across on my neighbourhood walk. The flower-spikes grow downwards through the bottom of its container (i.e. hanging basket)

RX028998.thumb.JPG.e25358782fb50c09f27bfbb6b8e8ab4d.JPG

RX029002.thumb.JPG.9e0f0d3d0db2914502d2d0c4124ccd31.JPG

Buds with visitor

RX029013.thumb.JPG.3ca68c2baa79b2d6fe0f51ea88e22ad7.JPG

Edited by boeckli
  • Like 4

Early Saturday afternoon wander back to Newport Lakes. Very attentive for tiger snakes, but saw none this time.

Tried the new toy on dragonflies. Quick autofocus and sharp on the full frame sensor. Photographer’s ability may leave something To be desired.

7033BA9D-98F0-484D-8258-86EDA3EE7370.thumb.jpeg.ded307962ccebaa14e83052dface92bf.jpeg

E9DB0780-0436-43D9-8080-3E61F2F81452.thumb.jpeg.03132d38b4d9feb5eae48fc92b4d92bb.jpeg

42B1E0E8-8623-41FE-A2C1-B2E93BB47019.thumb.jpeg.ee5232cf9786a69ceffcec92005cfd21.jpeg

43A84D2A-6DFB-4834-801C-634261DAFD83.thumb.jpeg.895423e3981a07069069e56c65e0e32b.jpeg

• Like 2

This year's opening image is of Kim's Christmas flowers. They are called Paper Whites and I wanted to start the year with some sort of blank page reference. In psychology, “Tabula rasa” refers to a state of mind without knowledge or preconceived ideas such as exists in a newborn child. In this case I use it as it translates from Latin as “scraped tablet” or “blank slate”. 2020 was a dumpster fire of epic proportions and starting this year with a fresh outlook and a clean page untainted by the previous one is something I wish were possible. Sadly, it isn’t. All the stuff we stepped in last year is stuck to our shoes and will leave marks on the pristine sheet of the New Year. Let’s try to wipe our feet clean as soon as possible and make the best of 2021.

Tabula Rasa

946366492_2021-01TabulaRasa.thumb.jpg.6861a956aa2f1f82929ed81d578d89f2.jpg

Dave

• Like 4

Finally got the chance to sort through my photos from New Year weekend.  Was very hectic taking down Christmas lights and tree, and errands, so it took a few days before I could offload the card and sort.

My very first photo of 2021 was of...an alligator!:

original.jpg

New Year's Day was cool here in Florida, so the reptiles were mostly out of the water and out in the sun, trying to get some warmth. This brown water snake had coiled up on the fan of a palm frond:

original.jpg

This green iguana was wearing his orange 'suit', in mating colors, and decided to stand up in the tree to say hello:

original.jpg

Yes, there were birds too!  Here's a great blue heron dropping in to land at its nest:

original.jpg

This osprey had just dove into the water to snag a fish, and while flying my way with his catch, decided to shake himself off like a wet dog:

original.jpg

There was a lovely male common yellowthroat down in the reeds by the water, showing off his bandit mask:

original.jpg

The very sneaky and elusive sora came out for a drink:

original.jpg

This Florida cooter was either keeping his feet dry, or was playing Superman:

original.jpg

One of the first birds to nest, and the first eggs to hatch in winter, is the great blue heron.  Here are two fresh chicks:

original.jpg

• Like 6