Meals (or Not) on Long International Flights

Roz

So I'm dreaming about and researching future cruises, including getting an estimate of flight costs.  I was looking at a one-way flight to Buenos Aires, and noticed both Delta and United have eliminated meal service and are only serving snacks "in order to minimize contact".  How is a flight attendant serving me a bag of nuts and a Coke putting us in less contact with each other vs. placing a meal tray in front of me?  Unless the attendant breathes in my face while serving me a meal, what is the difference?

Has anyone flown internationally recently?  What was your experience with food service?  A 12-15 hr. flight with only snacks seems unreasonable.  I guess if this continues to be the airlines' practice, I'll have to pick up a sandwich or salad in the terminal where I make the connecting flight.  

An international flight will have a meal or two, depending on the length of the flight. It will be pre-packaged, even if in Business class. But it will be smaller, less variety, less parts heated. (Business class will be a bit more generous, but not up to pre Covid levels). You won't be just getting a bag of pretzels and a can of coke. 

The two issues the airlines are dealing with are safe packaging and prep for the food, and the fact they are losing millions of dollars per day right now. This may improve later in 2021, maybe.

Just flew to Maui earlier this month. Going over was a super carby snack box and diet coke in Business class...the worst meal I have ever had on a plane. Coming back was a choice of two pre-packaged sandwiches, heated, or a snack box, and later a "snack" bag...cookies, crackers and a bottle of water. Much better coming home. The sandwich my wife and I had was not bad...not pre-Covid level, but all in all, much preferred. I see from other flyers the food may be improving a bit more since our flight.

7 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

.... also, one must think about the numbers who need to be served during the flight.

The greater the number the greater possibility of either contracting or spreading....

bon voyage

Not sure the science backs this...hard to get from surfaces. Yes, you don't want anyone coughing on your food. That explains the sealed food. And the number of flight attendants are determined by law.

2 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Not sure the science backs this...hard to get from surfaces. Yes, you don't want anyone coughing on your food. That explains the sealed food. And the number of flight attendants are determined by law.

I Am sure science can back any issues where masks are not properly worn X how many ever passengers are on the flight going from row to row does increase the chances that the possibility of spreading is increased to some degree, sealed food or not, I Am thinking person to person transmission.

There have be quite a few reports here in the U.S. about individuals not completing their health forms or answering questions truthfully with two (2) individuals who died from complications of C-19 aboard aircraft en-route to their destinations.

bon voyage

I guess my basic question is, whether you're being served peanuts and a beer or a sandwich & chips, is the contact any less or more?  

I agree that contact has been shown to be less of a factor than breathing in droplets.  One of my sisters stocks shelves in a grocery store, and she told me if you could get Covid from touching a can of peas, she would have been dead a long time ago.  Yet I know people who are still washing down their groceries with bleach.

52 minutes ago, Roz said:

It seems to me the airlines' goal is to make us as uncomfortable and miserable as they can. 

I won't be flying especially business/first class until I'm sure the amenities have returned...hopefully that will be by 2022.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Roz said:

It seems to me the airlines' goal is to make us as uncomfortable and miserable as they can. 

.... if, in fact, that is the case, we as passengers can make airlines as uncomfortable and miserable by not flying them until the desired amenities have returned to some degree to which we contend we pay for or not.

...or just want regardless.

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953
  • Like 2

I guess what really got me is someone told me to look into business class for such a long flight.  When I saw the fare and then found out there's not even meal service, it left me shaking my head and holding onto my wallet.

8 hours ago, Roz said:

I guess what really got me is someone told me to look into business class for such a long flight.  When I saw the fare and then found out there's not even meal service, it left me shaking my head and holding onto my wallet.

When the time for your cruise, consider booking your air through the cruise line and not doing it yourself.  Business Class air booked on your own is hideously expensive.  Through the cruise line, I have found it, while not inexpensive as compared to Economy or Premium Economy, better priced.  If I remember the estimated date of your cruise, by then, the amenities now restricted/missing ought to have returned.  I hope.  

• Like 2

@rkacruiser, you were "the someone" who told me to check business class.  But you probably figured that out. 😉  I've taken 3 European river cruises, and in each case the cruise lines' air was much lower than anything I could find on my own.  

Thanks for the advice.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Roz said:

you were "the someone" who told me to check business class.  But you probably figured that out. 😉  I've taken 3 European river cruises, and in each case the cruise lines' air was much lower than anything I could find on my own.  

😀!  As experienced as you are, I thought you probably realized this.  Just wanted to remind you.  Having flown to Santiago and from Buenos Aires for the South American itinerary, I was glad that I booked Delta One.  

Something else to consider:  unless the Buenos Aires airport facilities have changed, the seating availability while waiting for the check-in desks to open are minimal.  Dozens and dozens of passengers were sitting on the floor.  Even as a Delta One guest, one could not check in until the desk opened.  Once it did, while no Delta Sky Club existed, the Aerolineas Argentinas Business Class Lounge then was accessible.  Very much like Delta's Sky Club with much better seating than I am sure the Economy passengers experienced while waiting for our flight to board.  

I am thinking that flying on Aerolineas Argentinas from Buenos Aires might have been a better choice from the standpoint of needing to wait for my flight.  Their check in desk when I arrived at the airport in the early afternoon was open and remained open throughout the afternoon.  

Probably could have been able to check in, get to their lounge, and have been more comfortable than I was waiting for the Delta desk to open.  (At least, I found a chair and did not have to sit on the floor.  And, a fellow Zaandam friend "saved my seat" when I needed to make a trip to the loo.)

• Like 1

I have never booked air with the cruiseline but did for my upcoming British Isles cruise out of Amsterdam....business class pricing was great for this end of July but I have to make a decision when final payment is due May...was hoping Celebrity might cancel...no idea what to do until then.

We typically fly longer international flights twice a year, return.   Various carriers.   Really, the food in economy and the food in business is not much to get excited about.

DW likes it because it passes the time.  I would sooner have another glass or red plonk or a coffee......but  never bother waking me for the meal service.

The same can be said about airline food as can be said with cruise line MDR food.

The food is not what is used to be but then neither is the fare.  It is a trade off.

Edited by iancal
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, iancal said:

We typically fly longer international flights twice a year, return.   Various carriers.   Really, the food in economy and the food in business is not much to get excited about.

DW likes it because it passes the time.  I would sooner have another glass or red plonk or a coffee......but  never bother waking me for the meal service.

The same can be said about airline food as can be said with cruise line MDR food.

The food is not what is used to be but then neither is the fare.  It is a trade off.

We're not picky and have found that we've had some pretty tasty food on first class AA and DL One.

• Like 1

We have flown economy to Bangkok and business to Singapore (on United-not our favorite by any means).

The meals were different. Business meal was tarted up a bit with a few more bits and pieces included. Nicer utensils and the bread roll was warm.  But really, the taste was not much different.  Bog standard airline food. 

Certainly a few rungs below any of the banquet style food we have had in many MDR's.   This is not a complaint.   Our last Canada-Bangkok economy return fare was $775 CAD ($550 USD) so we could hardly expect gourmet.  Same price as our economy fare to Athens and back from London last fall.  It is unreasonable to expect anything extra at those fare levels.

Coffee was the same.  The red wine was better.  One year old vs a few months.

The best food and the best service by far that we have had on multiple transpacific  economy flights has been on Delta and Korean Airlines.  The absolute worst of both has been  United and ANA.

Edited by iancal

13 hours ago, Ashland said:

We're not picky and have found that we've had some pretty tasty food on first class AA and DL One.

Delta domestic First Class has served some tasty lunches in the past.  All dinners and breakfasts that I have had flying Delta One were to my taste.  

Singapore Airlines meal service in Business Class is exceptional.  They offer  "Book the Cook" meal selections prior to flying with a multitude of menu options.  The quantity of food offered during a long distance flight exceeded my ability to consume all that I ordered.  Dinner served after departure from Singapore; after a stop in Hong Kong, Supper; then, prior to arrival in San Francisco--breakfast.  Everything that I was able to eat was excellent to good (the Rib Eye Steak was somewhat overcooked and was not any better grade of beef than Choice).   

• Like 1

Maybe I'll get shot for saying this here, but for long haul international travel, we have found ANYONES food is better than the legacy US mainline carriers.  Even Norwegian had better food than American or United, and Cathay & Aeroflot (yes, Aeroflot) have had spectacular meals compared with United on the same routes. (Over the last 3 years) JMHO.......

We continue to be amazed at the low price of international air travel.  We do not really care about the food-good, bad, or non existent.  It is a non issue for us.   After all, if we do not like it we do not have to eat it.  We can always bring something along with us to snack on.

Edited by iancal

On 12/28/2020 at 11:47 AM, Roz said:

So I'm dreaming about and researching future cruises, including getting an estimate of flight costs.  I was looking at a one-way flight to Buenos Aires, and noticed both Delta and United have eliminated meal service and are only serving snacks "in order to minimize contact". 

Well, the one thing about these flights is that in all my experience between the US and South America my flights have been overnight.  For me, I love these US-SA flights as I am able to sleep and get some rest.  Food just isn't that big of a concern. 

The other point is that the onboard conditions might be different when you actually fly.  My understanding is that at least some airlines are bringing back additional food service options.

While somewhat off topic, I also like SA as a travel destination - even for shorter trips - in that the time changes tend not to be significant and I have never really experienced any substantial jet lag flying between US and SA.

• Like 1

We find it depends on we leave the house and when we arrive.  Going to SE Asia we  typically leave fairly early in the AM and we always arrive about 11PM local time.  Usually 3 flights.  1.5 hrs, 10hrs, and then 8hrs.  

That means we are in our hotel bed by 1AM.  Next morning we have no discernable  jetlag.  Not so returning home and we feel jetlagged for several days.   It seems the older we get, the more brutal the jetlag feels.

Europe does not seem to bother us near as much.  But the time differences often only 6 or 7 hours depending our our departure point.

Edited by iancal

It's not the food per se that's an issue.  I was just amazed that whether you sit in steerage or business or first class, you get a bag of pretzels and a drink.  😀  I was expecting more for the price.  I realize the higher class of seats come with more real estate.  And I do need to time some of my meds with meals so I will just have to bring food onboard with me. 

Agree we've also had some tasty meals on domestic AA & DL flights.

Funny story...last time we flew AA from SJU via MIA to LAX...Curtis Stone sat across the aisle from us and even he commented on how good the food was.

• Like 1