Norwegian Getaway Ship

sgoldstein02

I apologize up front because I’m new to cruising and new to this format.  We are in the process of planning a cruise October 2022 and just wanted to know if any feedback was out there regarding this ship.  We are currently looking to book a balcony cabin on deck 10...I believe mid aft.  Any feedback as to which deck may be preferable or which to stay away from?  Unfortunately the size of this ship is not ideal for me but we’re going with 2 other couples.

thanks for your input,

Rosalie

i like the getawayand would book her again. ( only hate the big vibe ).

what cruise are you looking for, the Baltics or the Kopenhagen to Southampton?

see that there is a gap between the arrive in sh and the next one to italy, wonder why? last dry dock was 2019??

i was in a inside room, can´t say something to the balcony room.

i like the size of ship and with howl at the moon and Syd Norman she has great entertaiment,

if you want to see ome pics here are some from my cruise to iceland from Kopenhagen

• Thanks 1

The standard balconies on the side of the ship are rather small....

dsc_0012.jpg

...but there are larger balconies if balcony size is important. The angled balconies are the same price as standard balconies but are about 50% larger (imagine a right triangle added to the depth of the  above image). There are other categories that are deeper (see below)...

breakaway333_v-contentgross.jpg

and as you can see, the deepest balconies on the side offer an excellent view down to the water. 

For the largest non-Haven balconies on the ship (BA/GA), look to the aft-facing balconies. The depth varies by deck and there are differences in width. Let me know if you are considering any of the other categories or an angled balcony. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I did the getaway back in 2016 with a large balcony and it was heaven!  For relaxation, the thermal spa is amazing (highly recommend).  For adventure,  I loved the ropes course. Great restaurants, and the entertainment is always great on NCL. Enjoy. You may become addicted.

Edited by PhillyTravelBug
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Steff79 said:

i like the getawayand would book her again. ( only hate the big vibe ).

what cruise are you looking for, the Baltics or the Kopenhagen to Southampton?

see that there is a gap between the arrive in sh and the next one to italy, wonder why? last dry dock was 2019??

i was in a inside room, can´t say something to the balcony room.

i like the size of ship and with howl at the moon and Syd Norman she has great entertaiment,

if you want to see ome pics here are some from my cruise to iceland from Kopenhagen

It embarks out of Copenhagen and disembarks in SH.  Sorry explain to me dry docking pros/cons?

1 hour ago, PhillyTravelBug said:

I did the getaway back in 2016 with a large balcony and it was heaven!  For relaxation, the thermal spa is amazing (highly recommend).  For adventure,  I loved the ropes course. Great restaurants, and the entertainment is always great on NCL. Enjoy. You may become addicted.

I’m afraid I may already hooked.  We did a Princess Alaska cruise tour as our first (just in case it was our only cruise) and we loved it!

6 hours ago, sgoldstein02 said:

I apologize up front because I’m new to cruising and new to this format.  We are in the process of planning a cruise October 2022 and just wanted to know if any feedback was out there regarding this ship.  We are currently looking to book a balcony cabin on deck 10...I believe mid aft.  Any feedback as to which deck may be preferable or which to stay away from?  Unfortunately the size of this ship is not ideal for me but we’re going with 2 other couples.

thanks for your input,

Rosalie

You will fall in love with the Getaway. We sailed on her inaugural cruise out of Miami and have sailed on her several times since. The link below is from our live post from 2018. You'll get an idea on what the ship is all about by looking at the daily programs and some of the photos. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, sgoldstein02 said:

It embarks out of Copenhagen and disembarks in SH.  Sorry explain to me dry docking pros/cons?

nice cruise, no pros or cons , wonder only why there is a gap, maybe someone who read here knows something, was not special to you, sorry.

Although we still prefer the smaller Jewel class ships, we've sailed on the Getaway twice.  She is a pretty ship, nice crew, but as someone did show, small balconies if you get a balcony room.  The exception is a few lower decks, starting with deck 8 forward.  Here is a huge bunch of pictures of the Getaway I took I believe in 2015.  A few things have been changed on her since then, but most of the ship should look about the same now still.  

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vls9lJ7ii1nmkOxq2

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Getaway was our first big ship. The first thing we noted was the cramped pool area. They double the number of passengers, but the pools, the buffet and the fitness center are all still on one deck.  We much prefer mid size ships, but booked the Getaway again for Nov because of the itinerary.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, sgoldstein02 said:

thanks for your input,

Rosalie

The Getaway is by far our favorite NCL ship.

• Thanks 1

I have sailed on her twin, Breakway many times.  Some people complain of noise from deck chair arrangement early in the morning if you are on Deck 14 mid ship.  A few, but rarely, say they hear the shows from the theater decks 8-10 forward.

Otherwise location is really dependent on what you want to be near. Food and shops Decks 6-8, or near the top decks, cabins decks 13-14.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve sailed on her sister, the Breakaway, twice. We really enjoyed an aft balcony on one sailing. Slightly larger balcony, and so relaxing to watch the ship’s wake. Waiting for elevators can be a problem, especially on the middle decks. They will already be full on the way up or down. For that reason it can be good to choose a lower or higher deck. For our last sailing, we were higher up aft, and my kids enjoyed being able to just walk up one flight of stairs to the buffet and pool deck. We didn’t experience noise from Spice H2O, but we are not super-sensitive to noise. 

I highly recommend getting spa passes for the week, especially if it’s going to be cool during your cruise. 

if it’s going to be warm, you might consider Vibe Beach Club, an adults-only sun deck. It was closed due to wind for most of our Bermuda sailing, but we were able to use it a couple of days. There are never enough chairs on the pool deck, so it’s nice to have a quiet outdoor place to read. 

Don't mean to steal this thread but I also want to know if someone has any experience with a room near the kids club Splash Academy?  Or does anyone know if its entrance is right be the elevators or in the hallway?  The room we're looking at is literally right next to it... the only things that separate our room from Splash is the hallway and a wall.

We have been on the Getaway, Breakaway, Escape and Bliss.  Depends on what you like to do.  We hang out at bars/restaurants on the  Waterfront and District Brewhouse (Escape and Bliss) in the evenings so we like to book cabins on Deck 8 if possible.  When we sailed on the Getaway we had a high Aft facing balcony at first, we could not sleep due to be under Spice H20.   We got moved down to a lower deck and it was our favorite stateroom ever!  If we are cruising on Breakaway Class ships, we tend to book decks 8, 9 and 10 now...

My DD and I stayed in 1450 a spa angled balcony. I didn't feel the balcony was that much bigger though at least you could have a lounger on it. There is a picture here on CC of the angled balcony, but sorry I do not have the link. Our cabin was not the best as ping pong (which was right over our head) did not stop at 10pm and just about every night we had to call when the game continued until past 10:30. It would be fine for those who stay out later. The paddles we found out are supposed to be handed in at 10pm. The spa is small but there were a few of my favorite stone chaises. Though not my favorite NCL ship, we enjoyed the shows and the outdoor bar area was great. Our favorite restaurant was Ocean Blue. I hope you have a great cruise!

6 hours ago, RunBikeCruiseDC said:

We have been on the Getaway, Breakaway, Escape and Bliss.  Depends on what you like to do.  We hang out at bars/restaurants on the  Waterfront and District Brewhouse (Escape and Bliss) in the evenings so we like to book cabins on Deck 8 if possible.  When we sailed on the Getaway we had a high Aft facing balcony at first, we could not sleep due to be under Spice H20.   We got moved down to a lower deck and it was our favorite stateroom ever!  If we are cruising on Breakaway Class ships, we tend to book decks 8, 9 and 10 now...

My wife and I typically sit listening to the live music for hours every night while playing Scrabble (and yes we are in our 30s not 70s haha). Our room is not something we care about because we want to spend as little time as possible in our room, so we typically go for the cheapest room. The stairs going up for the lower decks help us get some exercise to counteract all the eating too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've sailed on the Getaway 4 or 5 times now. She is my favorite. I agree with the above posts, decks 8, 9 and 10 are the ones we usually book. I have had the large and regular balconies. If you want to use your balcony to lay in the sun, book either a large or an aft, the regular ones only have room for 2 chairs NOT a lounger.  We've never had a problem with the elevators being crowded, but I am not on any specific time crunch when I am cruising. Enjoy her, she is a wonderful ship!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, DCP said:

I've sailed on the Getaway 4 or 5 times now. She is my favorite. I agree with the above posts, decks 8, 9 and 10 are the ones we usually book. I have had the large and regular balconies. If you want to use your balcony to lay in the sun, book either a large or an aft, the regular ones only have room for 2 chairs NOT a lounger.  We've never had a problem with the elevators being crowded, but I am not on any specific time crunch when I am cruising. Enjoy her, she is a wonderful ship!

I read on CC that I could ask for a lounger on the angled balcony. I asked and the room steward brought one and it fit. It is weird shaped balcony that did accommodate lounger and chair. I wa thrilled. 

• Like 1

Correct, the angled balconies will accommodate one lounger, but you have to grab those cabins pretty quickly, they're ones that sell out fast. (we've booked those before too) I didn't think about that when I answered!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DCP said:

Hi @DCP. I'm glad to read this post as I am booked on Getaway Aug 15-24, 2023 (I know, I was surprised NCL's available booking schedule went out that far), 9-day Baltic & Scandinavia R/T out of Copenhagen, Denmark. I'm a solo, so I'll be in one of the studio cabins.

I see from you cruise history in your signature block that you favor the Getaway and have cruised on her repeatedly. Bodes well for me. Thanks for your post.

Edited by farmersfight
  • Like 1

Hi Marty! You're just one state north of us. 🙂  My husband and I loved to cruise, I will be learning how to cruise solo at some point. (he passed very unexpected just before Thanksgiving).  The Getaway and the Bliss are my favorites. We're sailing on the Bliss again (HOPEFULLY) in May. I am almost sure it will be canceled, but I haven't given up yet. It will be my daughter, SIL and me this time. We  have splurged for a Haven suite for us, instead of the two balconies we had originally booked. I know they did this hoping it will take some of the sting of missing my husband on my first cruise without him.  I will always love the Getaway, and the western Caribbean.  If you have any questions about her, I will help if I can!

• Like 3