Jump to content

Vaccine Passports - Interesting T&L article


Recommended Posts

I wonder about kids under 16.  We have a cruise booked in October and November 2021.  I normally don't get the flu vaccine but I will get the covid vaccine just to be able to travel.  I'm pretty sure the adults will be vaccinated by then, but what about my 15 year old?  I don't believe Carnival will stop kids from cruising for the simple fact that they are a family cruise line.  You can't be a family cruise line without kids.  I wonder what Carnival will do?

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, 1980dory said:

Vaccine priorities:

I, and many thousands of others have been participating in the Pfizer studies to develop this vaccine.

It is now available and everyone is pushing for priority to get it.  I have not received mine yet, so I'm left wondering about where I fit in to the priority scheme.  I'm sure there would be no vaccine if it were

not for the study participants but it appears that we are now relegated to the back of the line.

Does that make sense?  Or am I being unreasonable?

I thought if you participated and received the placebo, once the study was concluded you received the shot.  I guess that was wrong?  Sorry, IMO y'all should have been first.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, 1980dory said:

Vaccine priorities:

I, and many thousands of others have been participating in the Pfizer studies to develop this vaccine.

It is now available and everyone is pushing for priority to get it.  I have not received mine yet, so I'm left wondering about where I fit in to the priority scheme.  I'm sure there would be no vaccine if it were

not for the study participants but it appears that we are now relegated to the back of the line.

Does that make sense?  Or am I being unreasonable?


Have you asked your study contact?  I read in another study participant’s case they were immediately offered the authentic vaccine as they had initially been administered a placebo.  Do you know you received the placebo?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rs45thompson said:

I thought if you participated and received the placebo, once the study was concluded you received the shot.  I guess that was wrong?  Sorry, IMO y'all should have been first.

That's what I thought too.  But no, I have to get in the regular priority line and wait my turn and when I see prisoners have a higher priority, I find that very concerning.  I do understand medical, nursing homes, etc. as priority.  But there would be no priority if there were no vaccine and no study participants to develop the vaccine.
Yes, I am now awaiting scheduling as a participant in the study, but many thousands of others have already been prioritized and already been given the vaccine.   It seems the study participants came in as an afterthought after priority and distribution plans were alraedy made and implemented.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, logan25 said:


Have you asked your study contact?  I read in another study participant’s case they were immediately offered the authentic vaccine as they had initially been administered a placebo.  Do you know you received the placebo?

Yes.  I just found out two days ago.  Prior to that, I was told that I would be told "later"and that

I would have to wait in the priority queue.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be interesting to hear from other study participants who are in the same position

and to hear about their experiences.  Perhaps I just got some mismanagement/misinformation

from my local study.

When the vaccine was approved, I assumed that I would soon hear about getting a priority vaccine

if I had received a placebo.  Here we are at this late date, and I'm just now finding my results after everyone else is being vaccinated.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/31/2020 at 12:23 PM, firefly333 said:

Everyone is wanting to be first. Makes me sick to see politicians pushing to the front of the line. It would be a death sentence for my dad at 102 and a pacemaker and high blood pressure.

The politicians should be on the tail-end of the line.  For the most part, they are the least important (both parties).  Florida still doesn't have a consistent supply of the vaccine.  Every once in awhile, I get an alert that a thousand doses have arrived but within 10 minutes they're all spoken for.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rs45thompson said:

I thought if you participated and received the placebo, once the study was concluded you received the shot.  I guess that was wrong?  Sorry, IMO y'all should have been first.

I was warned about signing up for a vaccine study that I couldn't get the vaccine for 1 to 2 years. I had signed up and asked them the next day and was told if i got the placebo I'd have to wait a year to get the real vaccine.

 

Read the small print before signing up. I withdrew. 

 

Small print is they follow me and those who got the real vaccine for the next year to compare. 

Edited by firefly333
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, phoneman69 said:

 We have a May cruise out of New Orleans this year i hope happens.

There is a zero percent chance that your Glory cruise out of NOLA will happen.  Carnival has cancelled all cruises through March 31, while some of their competitors have already cancelled through April 30.  You can infer that Carnival will soon follow. That gives you maybe early May for the test cruises to occur, which then needs to have the 60 day waiting period from the CDC, leaving July 15 or so at the possible earliest for 3/4 day cruises to start up from Miami and Port Canaveral.  Once they are done, the new jewel of the line, the Mardi Gras will commence sailing as well as cruises embarking from embarkation port number three, Galveston.  After all of these hoops have been jumped through, NOLA, Long Beach and other embarkation ports should hopefully start up, possibly around September at the earliest.  This is all speculation of course, but makes sense at this point.  Of course all bets are off as things could change next week in DC.

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I was warned about signing up for a vaccine study that I couldn't get the vaccine for 1 to 2 years. I had signed up and asked them the next day and was told if i got the placebo I'd have to wait a year to get the real vaccine.

 

Read the small print before signing up. I withdrew. 

 

Small print is they follow me and those who got the real vaccine for the next year to compare. 
 

It’s  a good thing you read the fine print before you committed .  I would hate to find that out after the fact.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, rs45thompson said:

It’s  a good thing you read the fine print before you committed .  I would hate to find that out after the fact.

However, IF you had signed up, you would have had a 50/50 chance of getting the vaccine already: Vaccine vs. placebo =50/50 chance. I received the placebo but am now going to get the vaccine 

(after some others have received it).  Since I started the study last September I still don't have to wait two years to get the vaccine.  I do have a two year commitment to the study and will certainly continue 

with that commitment.  I don't know your source of information, but I think you had a miscommunication either on your part or on Pfizer's.  Those things happen and I believe they are still accepting applicants for the study if you want to reconsider to help in the continuing research.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 1980dory said:

Vaccine priorities:

I, and many thousands of others have been participating in the Pfizer studies to develop this vaccine.

It is now available and everyone is pushing for priority to get it.  I have not received mine yet, so I'm left wondering about where I fit in to the priority scheme.  I'm sure there would be no vaccine if it were

not for the study participants but it appears that we are now relegated to the back of the line.

Does that make sense?  Or am I being unreasonable?

One interesting question would be did you already as a participant in the study get the vaccine, or did you receive a placebo. If the former, you are already vaccinated; if it is the latter you should get vaccinated. But I do not know if that really should push you up in the line for it. I can see an argument both ways.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We have Vista from Galvestion in November this year booked with a large group, literally from all over the world. Interesting to see how the vaccine situation is developing in other countries. Here in the UK we have currently vaccinated over 3 million people, the countries population have been placed in order of need, i.e over 80's first, then so on, until everyone who wants the vaccine can get it. Currently, due to our age etc we are predicted to get the vaccine mid April. Our friends in Australia however, who are supposed to be on the cruise have not yet started roll out. 

The non-US people in our cruise group accept and expect that it will be a requirement for us to have the vaccine to enter the USA, which, none of us have an issue with but we wait with baited breath to see if our Vista cruise even goes, we are currently 50/50 whether our cruise sails in November but August, when balance is due is decision time!

Stay safe everyone and look forward to cruising once again.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I suspect there will be some vaccination requirement to travel, such as the yellow card I carry with my passport any time I go to a country with a risk of yellow fever. My husband and I were fortunate to get an appointment and received the first dose of the Moderna vaccine last week and will get the second dose 4 weeks from the first. I know from others that the rollout of the vaccine varies from county to county in Florida and some have been very disorganized. We are lucky to be in a county with a good appointment system, so far only for healthcare workers and anyone over 65. When we received the first shot we each were given a CDC card listing the dose ID and date received. We'll take the card back for them to record the info when we receive the second dose. I don't know if that card will be sufficient proof of the vaccine or if we will need to apply for something else. We have a May 29 cruise booked on the Mardi Gras and are still hoping it will go (it was rebooked from the canceled New Years cruise). We can only hope that in the wake of the vaccine rollout the CDC will revise some of its ridiculous requirements for cruises to resume.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/3/2021 at 4:09 PM, ontheweb said:
On 1/3/2021 at 3:30 PM, ninjacat123 said:

I totally agree!  And besides, there must be others like me that will not be interested in cruising unless vaccine is required. 

There really is no way that the cruise line cannot require a vaccine if any of the ports have that requirement. The logistics of who can get off and who cannot would just be too complicated

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, 1980dory said:

However, IF you had signed up, you would have had a 50/50 chance of getting the vaccine already: Vaccine vs. placebo =50/50 chance. I received the placebo but am now going to get the vaccine 

(after some others have received it).  Since I started the study last September I still don't have to wait two years to get the vaccine.  I do have a two year commitment to the study and will certainly continue 

with that commitment.  I don't know your source of information, but I think you had a miscommunication either on your part or on Pfizer's.  Those things happen and I believe they are still accepting applicants for the study if you want to reconsider to help in the continuing research.

A doctor posted to me when he saw I was volunteering for a study. Just recently so probably not pfeizer.  I had a face to face video conference and asked and she looked it up and it said I wojldnt get the vaccine for 1 year if I was paid for the study. Just because it wasnt a condition for you, you cant assume all vaccine trials have the same conditions as yours last sept.

 

I was told face to face in a zoom like interview I couldnt get vaccine for 1 year if I signed up. I didnt misunderstand.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

There is a zero percent chance that your Glory cruise out of NOLA will happen.  Carnival has cancelled all cruises through March 31, while some of their competitors have already cancelled through April 30.  You can infer that Carnival will soon follow. That gives you maybe early May for the test cruises to occur, which then needs to have the 60 day waiting period from the CDC, leaving July 15 or so at the possible earliest for 3/4 day cruises to start up from Miami and Port Canaveral.  Once they are done, the new jewel of the line, the Mardi Gras will commence sailing as well as cruises embarking from embarkation port number three, Galveston.  After all of these hoops have been jumped through, NOLA, Long Beach and other embarkation ports should hopefully start up, possibly around September at the earliest.  This is all speculation of course, but makes sense at this point.  Of course all bets are off as things could change next week in DC.

I can't disagree with your thinking although i hope your wrong. I will have to await the official word from Carnival. Would be our 4th canceled cruise and hope i could book a Oct out of Fla.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, phoneman69 said:

I can't disagree with your thinking although i hope your wrong. I will have to await the official word from Carnival. Would be our 4th canceled cruise and hope i could book a Oct out of Fla.

At this point I am so down on the industry starting back up I am assuming that our end of August will be cancelled and our Mardi Gras Halloween cruise is possibly on life support but I have to assume that Carnival will make it one of the first 7 day cruises to start up so they can hopefully get some positive press.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2021 at 11:15 AM, Cushing985 said:

The politicians should be on the tail-end of the line.  For the most part, they are the least important (both parties).  Florida still doesn't have a consistent supply of the vaccine.  Every once in awhile, I get an alert that a thousand doses have arrived but within 10 minutes they're all spoken for.

If "leaders" / politicians were not some of the first few to get vaccinated, the number of people refusing to get the vaccine would grow exponentially, because of conspiracy theories about why they are "avoiding it".

 

This extremely small yet highly visible group (politicians) (in comparison to the overall amount of vaccines generally available) need to have a public show getting the vaccine to demonstrate it is safe and effective.  Otherwise it would be another case of "do as I say, not as I do".

 

I'm not saying they deserve it, or it is a good idea medically, but it is probably the best approach politically.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

If "leaders" / politicians were not some of the first few to get vaccinated, the number of people refusing to get the vaccine would grow exponentially, because of conspiracy theories about why they are "avoiding it".

 

This extremely small yet highly visible group (politicians) (in comparison to the overall amount of vaccines generally available) need to have a public show getting the vaccine to demonstrate it is safe and effective.  Otherwise it would be another case of "do as I say, not as I do".

 

I'm not saying they deserve it, or it is a good idea medically, but it is probably the best approach politically.

If what you say is true they could pick some highly visible politicians, they dont need to also give the vaccine to 2 staffers of each congressman or whomever. And I dont think seeing AOC or some young politician makes one whit of difference to those saying no. My bil is one saying no. He says hes read about the side effects and some wind up in the hospital, so he might as well take his chances on covid, which means my sister also wouldn't be getting the vaccine. 

 

Both are in a age group and underlying conditions. Hes 82 with diabetes, she is 67 with epilepsy and a host of medical problems. My dad decided he should wait for his heart doctor to approve. I had a appointment for him, he cancelled. Hes 102. Sorry, I dont think all politicians as is the case I've seen get it, matters to anyone I know. None I know are fence sitting, they are a no. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/18/2021 at 12:03 AM, firefly333 said:

A doctor posted to me when he saw I was volunteering for a study. Just recently so probably not pfeizer.  I had a face to face video conference and asked and she looked it up and it said I wojldnt get the vaccine for 1 year if I was paid for the study. Just because it wasnt a condition for you, you cant assume all vaccine trials have the same conditions as yours last sept.

 

I was told face to face in a zoom like interview I couldnt get vaccine for 1 year if I signed up. I didnt misunderstand.  

 

I too am a volunteer in the Pfizer vaccine study here in Columbus Ga.  I received my first dose AUg 12 and my second dose Sept 3.  Last week I received a letter from Pfizer that unbound my results.  It informed me that i HAD received the actual vaccine ( If I hadn't, they were going to vaccinate me  within this month of Jan.).  I am still in the study because they want to monitor antibody levels to see how long the vaccine lasts.  I was asked not to take an ADDITIONAL vaccine for a year.    Oh and I was paid, ( a nominal fee to showup for the appointments and $5 to keep up with the weekly symptom diary.  Because I didn't do this for money, I donated it to the local food bank)

 

I'm not saying you're wrong, just stating my experience with the Pfizer vaccine study.

 

baf

Edited by bafinegan
spelling
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, bafinegan said:

 

I too am a volunteer in the Pfizer vaccine study here in Columbus Ga.  I received my first dose AUg 12 and my second dose Sept 3.  Last week I received a letter from Pfizer that unbound my results.  It informed me that i HAD received the actual vaccine ( If I hadn't, they were going to vaccinate me  within this month of Jan.).  I am still in the study because they want to monitor antibody levels to see how long the vaccine lasts.  I was asked not to take an ADDITIONAL vaccine for a year.    Oh and I was paid, ( a nominal fee to showup for the appointments and $5 to keep up with the weekly symptom diary.  Because I didn't do this for money, I donated it to the local food bank)

 

I'm not saying you're wrong, just stating my experience with the Pfizer vaccine study.

 

baf

And again I'm almost for sure this new trial was NOT pfeizer so why do posters keep quoting me and telling me pfeizer was different than the small print I ran into. And that newer trials are the same as yours. Why would the study interviewer lie? I asked point blank and she had to go look it up and said a year. Maybe that's why they are paying up to about $1,500, it's getting harder to get volunteers with vaccines comes out now. 

 

Why keep insinuating I'm mistaken because your terms were different? You dont know what terms are for new vaccine studies coming out. I was told to ask, and I did. Period. 

 

I get it ok? Pfeizer had different small print. You can quit quoting me and telling me this. I understand.

 

There are more than one vaccine study, and each may have it's own terms. Ask is all I suggested. I've now gotten my first shot. I would have hated to not be able to get it and then couldnt cruise because I wasnt sure I was vaccinated or had to wait to get it.

Edited by firefly333
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

And again I'm almost for sure this new trial was NOT pfeizer so why do posters keep quoting me and telling me pfeizer was different than the small print I ran into. And that newer trials are the same as yours. Why would the study interviewer lie? I asked point blank and she had to go look it up and said a year. Maybe that's why they are paying up to about $1,500, it's getting harder to get volunteers with vaccines comes out now. 

 

Why keep insinuating I'm mistaken because your terms were different? You dont know what terms are for new vaccine studies coming out. I was told to ask, and I did. Period. 

 

I get it ok? Pfeizer had different small print. You can quit quoting me and telling me this. I understand.

 

There are more than one vaccine study, and each may have it's own terms. Ask is all I suggested. I've now gotten my first shot. I would have hated to not be able to get it and then couldnt cruise because I wasnt sure I was vaccinated or had to wait to get it.

Apparently you didn't read all of my response.  I never said you were wrong.  ANd yes there are multiple studies out there.  I was ONLY relating MY experience to prove there are more than one study protocols out there.  ( I think that is still allowed here, right?)  Very sorry if I was misunderstood and my words upset you.  Have a blessed day.

 

baf

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, bafinegan said:

Apparently you didn't read all of my response.  I never said you were wrong.  ANd yes there are multiple studies out there.  I was ONLY relating MY experience to prove there are more than one study protocols out there.  ( I think that is still allowed here, right?)  Very sorry if I was misunderstood and my words upset you.  Have a blessed day.

 

baf

I believe it was poster 1980dory who said they were part of Pfizer study, had the placebo and now they were at the bottom of list. This is very different from what you posted and also from my brother who was part of the Pfizer study, had the placebo and was notified he was given the placebo. They got him his first  dose yesterday. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Alberto Aliberti, President of Atlas Ocean Voyages
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with RiverCruising, the River Cruise Experts
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...