Photo Albums

My wife and I have photo albums of every land and sea cruise we have been on ,60 total.

Occasionally we look through a few of them but it has been many years since we looked through the majority of them.

My questions is this:

Do most people keep albums forever or just a little while ?

I've got photo albums that go back 60+ years & do look through them once in awhile. Don't know what the kids will do with them after we're gone?? Now I do video's of all our trips & daily life. New Years Eve we sat around and watched video's of our past cruises, brought back good memories, next best thing to doing a cruise.

My spare time project for the last few years is to digitize all of our old photos. I have scanned prints and transferred slides and negatives, correcting any fading and deterioration caused by cheap drugstore processing in the process. The question regarding keeping albums is easily answered with a yes in our case. The harder answer is what is done with them. That answer is nothing. They live in boxes and haven't been looked at forever. All of our recent (since digital) photos are easily accessed and I have put together sets of images into collections that I rotate as screensaver slideshows on our Fire TVs. My goal is to bring the old photos into the 21st century in a form that can be easily accessed and shared with family and friends.

One of the best finds was an image of my Dad taken in the late '70s with my old Minolta SRT-102 a couple of years before he passed. It was in a box that hadn't been opened and sorted through since then. 

1567426624_DavidPierceSr-Circa1980.thumb.jpg.2752e22d269dd1c9e551998a85f2e9ba.jpg

Dave

• Like 3

3 hours ago, pierces said:

The harder answer is what is done with them.

We've been clear with our now adult daughters that they are free to get rid of any and every thing of ours. With no guilt.

Regarding  sharing with friends,  I remember decades ago that I described a friendship of mine as being so strong that we were willing to look at each other's vacation photos.

• Like 1

More recently.. have made photo books ( coffee table book ) of some of our holidays 

( including one for our cruises )... it a nice to look though as well as show others....

Another idea  was a large glass photo frame  with 36  6x4 photo from a trip hanging in the hall way... past it and stop and look.... also 26 prints in the lounge taken of different holidays....

Photos are a great way to remember.... also as I look at one of my photo.. I remember the moment... sounds, wind etc as well as what was happening around me

So to answer the question.. photos are forever... A snap shot from the past..

Don

Edited by getting older slowly

• 3 weeks later...

Save them, always save them.  There are so many memories there and you just never know when they might be needed or have some value.  I was a working professional photographer for almost 50 years and I really regret that I do not have any real access to most of my work in those first 30 years because I was on staff at two different newspapers and they owned the rights and kept all of the images.  I have a dozen totes in my storage locker that are just filled with family pictures and yes, I do go over from time to time to find something.  We recently celebrated our 50th during a lull in COVID and I was able to pull out our wedding picture and have it reprinted for our family luncheon.  Wow was I skinny then......

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

For my girlfriend's 70th birthday, I produced a photo album (and a second for me too) that documents the stations and shared experiences of our more than 40 years of friendship. All of these preserved images are really Mermories of the past. My girlfriend was very happy with the gift and the birthday party guests enjoyed it very much.
And the memories of all those beautiful cruises are refreshed from time to time by the photos.
My husband scanned all the pictures in the long winter and saved them very well in file folders. This way we can also easily find certain photos.
My opinion: KEEP IT

I have photos sorted in LR by trip but also try to do it by subject. I tagline by subject such as doors or sunset or ruins. At some point I think I will pull the doors together for a book. i have taken pics of them all over the world and as a group they can be very interesting and maybe when I am gone my kids might enjoy looking at that photo book more than the ones I have made of trips. That being said. I make trip books for different reasons. Some are more to display the photos and some are to remember the wildlife and locations. i try to label everything I can because i forget. My book of the Galapagos I have referenced many times because it is so well labeled and it helps me remember names of birds and animals and islands I was on. But it doesn't do real justice to the photos. I also have shared it many times with people who want to do a similar trip. Will  my kids be interested in any of this???? I have no idea but right now I am writing a story worth book from the subscription they gave me on my 65th and I am finding having my photos all tagged in LR has helped immensely in finding pics to add to it. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/19/2021 at 3:22 PM, Mr. Click said:

Save them, always save them... We recently celebrated our 50th during a lull in COVID and I was able to pull out our wedding picture and have it reprinted for our family luncheon.  Wow was I skinny then......

I would advise everyone to get at least one good professional photo taken when they're in their prime.  When my sister died, we went through all her photos and there was one really good one that, unfortunately, had her ex-husband in it.  Thank heaven for modern technology!  The photo studio is still around and we got permission to use the photo, then had her ex professionally erased.  :-)  

I was briefly engaged when I was 30, and the one good thing I took from that relationship are the photos I had taken for him. 😉  Fortunately, we broke up before I gave them to him, so that's why I still have them.  

When my dad died, he and my mom had been married 50 years, and we had so many great photos of them on their various adventures.  It was wonderful going through them.  We displayed them on a digital photo frame at the funeral.  

If you really want to help out your family, set aside copies of your favorite photos of yourselves in a place where they'll find them.  It will make things easier for them someday.  I need to do this myself.  I took over 7,000 photos on my last cruise (trying out my new camera - first DSLR), so I took multiples of everything.  :-)  

11 hours ago, emmtee said:

I took over 7,000 photos on my last cruise (trying out my new camera - first DSLR), so I took multiples of everything

Just the one week cruise then! 😊

• Like 2

On 3/10/2021 at 10:50 AM, Paul S said:

We’ve made a gallery on the wall of our entrance hall. Nice to look at and brings memories each time we walk by, and get’s lots of interest from visitors too.

Good Idea... we have a memory board in the kitchen... all tickets and things from trips,,,, it does look a bit messy...lol...  Don

kitchen.thumb.jpg.6d6fc6024942116e0b56d2cf90edc2ef.jpg

• Like 1

We have one of those electronic photo frames that cycles though images kinda like a powerpoint presentation.  I have loaded heaps of our cruise and holiday pictures onto a SD card such that we have a non-stop random picture show 24/7.

Often times we will be watching TV one of us will comment on the picture in the frame ..... while they are not hard copies, at least we get to see them and they are not stuck in a box gathering dust

Edited to say, I have mounted it on the wall in our lounge room so all can see it

Edited by Dobby_The_Ship_Elf
  • Like 2