Cheers Tip Per Drink Math?

Elaine5715

2 hours ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

This math is flawed.  The price of the drink package has nothing to do with tipping, other than to determine the initial 18% Tip, which is $9.35.

The correct calculation is the total amount tipped divided by the number of drinks purchased divided by the price of a drink.  That is, (9.35 + number of drinks) /  number of drinks /  price of a drink.  So using your examples (and assuming an average drink price of $9.95):

5 drinks:   (9.35 + 5) / 5 / 9.95 = 28.84%

10 drinks:   (9.35 + 10) / 10 / 9.95 = 19.45%

15 drinks:   (9.35 + 15.00) / 15 / 9.95 = 16.31%

So... 12 drinks comes closest at keeping with the 18% Tip:

12 drinks:   (9.35 + 12.00) / 12 / 9.95 = 17.88%

You can generally throw out any numbers you want into a formula to achieve what you want, especially if you make assumptions.   But I didn't, and the fact remains that whether I buy 1 drink or 15, I've paid $51.95 for drinks that day.   So my math is just fine!! 

For me, the math needs another line item...

If I drank anywhere close to 15 alcoholic drinks per day, then by day 3, I would be in the medical Infirmary racking up the mother of all medical bills.

The only good thing is that the medical facility does not *yet* tack on a gratuity. LOL

• Haha 2

On 1/29/2021 at 6:06 PM, ULCajunCruiser said:

Lets do the math from the other side!!   Lets go with a CHEERS package cost of $51.95 + 18% equals to a per day cost of $61.30.   You are automatically paying $9.35 in tips.   If you drink 5 drinks per day and tip $1 extra, you effectively tipped 28% ((51.95+9.35+5.00)/51.95!   If you drink 10 drinks per day and tip $1 extra, you effectively tipped 37% ((51.95+9.35+10.00)/51.95!  And if you drink 15 drinks per day and tip $1 extra, you effectively tipped 47% ((51.95+9.35+15.00)/51.95!   That's pretty hefty.

On 1/30/2021 at 2:55 PM, VentureMan_2000 said:

This math is flawed.  The price of the drink package has nothing to do with tipping, other than to determine the initial 18% Tip, which is $9.35.

The correct calculation is the total amount tipped divided by the number of drinks purchased divided by the price of a drink.  That is, (9.35 + number of drinks) /  number of drinks /  price of a drink.  So using your examples (and assuming an average drink price of $9.95):

I very much doubt the majority of guests tip extra on CHEERS.  

4 hours ago, florida eagle said:

Cruises where gratuities are removed by customers in big numbers. And the staff reacts that way in not a good way.

It's that way on the majority of Carnival cruises. Check out the line at the guest services desk on the last sea day....it'll blow your mind.

Families that feel that they should not have to pay gratuities for their kids, foreigners who come from a non tipping culture and the card carrying members of the "me generation" that wish to put more money in their pocket to offset their bar tab.

The one set of cruises where it probably does not happen as much are the longer journeys cruises, which tend to have an older clientele and more seasoned cruisers that tend to not screw over those that work hard on the ships to earn those tips.

• Like 1

On 1/30/2021 at 2:55 PM, VentureMan_2000 said:

This is the only correct way to calculate it if you are trying to figure out the percentages.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ray98 said:

This is the only correct way to calculate it if you are trying to figure out the percentages.

No it's not.   You are assuming an average price per drink, and that is not important to this calculation.   What is important is the actual cost of drinks, and if you buy cheers that cost is $51.95 per day.   Whether you drink 1 drink or 12 drinks you paid $51.95 for drinks on that day!!!

30 minutes ago, ULCajunCruiser said:

No it's not.   You are assuming an average price per drink, and that is not important to this calculation.   What is important is the actual cost of drinks, and if you buy cheers that cost is $51.95 per day.   Whether you drink 1 drink or 12 drinks you paid $51.95 for drinks on that day!!!

LOL....ok.

11 hours ago, ULCajunCruiser said:

From a passenger's point of view, yes, but I believe that part of the discussion was looking at it from the staff's point of view vis a vis the tip they receive. If a bartender makes 15 drinks that are worth $9.50 they would receive $25.65 in gratuity, but if they make the same number of drinks for a passenger with Cheers they get $9.35. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

From a passenger's point of view, yes, but I believe that part of the discussion was looking at it from the staff's point of view vis a vis the tip they receive. If a bartender makes 15 drinks that are worth $9.50 they would receive $25.65 in gratuity, but if they make the same number of drinks for a passenger with Cheers they get $9.35. 

Thank you. That really encapsulated my original thought nicely.    

3 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

I bring singles to tip room service but I'm going to add more singles to tip out the bartender.  Seems like that's a better way to tip than adding to the bill they give you. 👍

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Yup.  I am looking at it from the view of how much work am I expecting from the staff.  If they work hard I believe they deserve just as much of a tip as if I was ordering the drinks individually.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2021 at 7:51 PM, Saint Greg said:

Yeah it’s something like that. I almost think it may be more like 15% because I thought it came out to like 59.75/day after the gratuity. I doubt that many people drink 15 drinks every day. But that’s also why many on cheers still tip extra per drink.

Exactly right St. Greg! I always tip $1.00 per drink ordered on Cheers! Regardless of if it is an alcoholic beverage or not. And the level of service I experience in return is worth it. The bartenders and servers are the most important team members in my opinion.