A Theoretical Question

MsTabbyKats

Let me know if my thinking is correct:

I expect my April 2021 cruise to be officially canceled before final payment, but, if it isn't, I'm going to cancel.

I am looking at an Oct 2021 cruise to replace it (and that may be canceled too)

If I book for 3 people the price of the cabin I'm looking at is only about $200 more than for 2.  The third would be my 34 year old son, and I highly doubt he would want to share a cabin with mommy & daddy (it's a large family OV on the Joy).  But...since we haven't seen him since Feb, maybe he'd be ok with it.

Anyway...if I book and just doesn't show up, I'm assuming his "fees" of $200 would be returned to me....so really no reason not to put him on the reservation.

Is this correct?

You can call and cancel your third party member after final payment and you will still get back the taxes and port fees for that person.  You will not get money back for the 3rd person’s fare. 
We did this on a cruise when one of our four had to cancel.   We got back taxes and port fees for that person. 

2 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

This is based on "3rd & 4th" person sail for free....the extra $200 is port fees/taxes.

Thank you for your answers......

I remember being 34 some three decades ago....not a chance, and under no circumstances, would I have gone! 😉

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, hamrag said:

I remember being 34 some three decades ago....not a chance, and under no circumstances, would I have gone! 😉

You did notice I said that in the original post!  It's just an idea....probably a stupid idea. 

My mother offered to take me to Mexico for a week when I was 34 (and getting over a heartbreak).  To this day I wonder what I would have done in Mexico with my mother.  Certainly nothing that would help get over a heartbreak.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, hamrag said:

I'm in my mid 30s (female) and travel with my mother all the time! My mom and I are close, so that helps. But I have my limits, too.  I'm sure it depends a lot on OPs relationship with her son. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, kaprin02 said:

I'm in my mid 30s (female) and travel with my mother all the time! My mom and I are close, so that helps. But I have my limits, too.  I'm sure it depends a lot on OPs relationship with her son. 

There's the "sharing a cabin with parents" factor.

He's been living on his own since 2008....things like "compromising" on what time to eat, sharing a bathroom...me picking out which women he should approach.......etc 

Probably a thoughtful, but not well thought out idea.

Anyway...haven't seen "the little tyke" since Feb and omg....it's almost a year.  Guess I'm just missing him.

• Like 1

So....I asked DH what he thought of my plan.  He made a face (an "are you crazy" face).

Then I called DS...and explained that he could cancel or just not show up...and I wouldn't lose any money.  But, first I made he promise not to get mad or make stupid sounds.  Surprisingly he said it sounds like he might do it (liked the itinerary).

So...just waiting for NCL to cancel April...and get the 10% discount.  And of course, the cruise to actually happen.

Ya never know.........

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

....Probably a thoughtful, but not well thought out idea.

Anyway...haven't seen "the little tyke" since Feb and omg....it's almost a year.  Guess I'm just missing him.

Now, that does resonate with me....as a father of 3 who are also in their 30's!

14 hours ago, hamrag said:

Ha,ha!  I had to giggle at that one.  I took my parents on their first cruise when I was in my mid-30s, a surprise and a gift for them.  I did my own thing at times.   They fell in love with cruising and started going with my sister and her family.  I probably would have gone with them if they had offered with just me and the parents. Having my sister and her family included would have been too much drama.

Does anyone have info on the ability to change the name of your 3rd person in your cabin on one of the 3rd & 4th passengers sail free promos?

We've got a cruise booked for October with my MIL tagging along for free. She's got some recent health concerns and may not be able to come. Would we possibly be able to swap her name out with a different passenger to not lose out on the "free" person? (booked a 2 br suite, so I can imagine having no problem finding someone to tag along for only $200).

56 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

Does anyone have info on the ability to change the name of your 3rd person in your cabin on one of the 3rd & 4th passengers sail free promos?

We've got a cruise booked for October with my MIL tagging along for free. She's got some recent health concerns and may not be able to come. Would we possibly be able to swap her name out with a different passenger to not lose out on the "free" person? (booked a 2 br suite, so I can imagine having no problem finding someone to tag along for only $200).

It should be okay to change just one name, and keep the fare unchanged.

But I am not sure if NCL has different policies in different countries, so it is better if you check with your TA or NCL again.

Just a quick update:

It seems "the little tyke" wants to go.  He called last night to inform me that they're probably offering "great deals" because (it's a cruise to Canada) Canada has closed borders so the cruise may not happen.  I guess he thinks I'm unaware!

I explained reality....imho....25% chance of it happening.  But, at least he wants to be with mommy & daddy (he must miss us too).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Just a quick update:

It seems "the little tyke" wants to go.  He called last night to inform me that they're probably offering "great deals" because (it's a cruise to Canada) Canada has closed borders so the cruise may not happen.  I guess he thinks I'm unaware!

I explained reality....imho....25% chance of it happening.  But, at least he wants to be with mommy & daddy (he must miss us too).

Or, he's trying to make you feel wanted....in the full expectation it will not go ahead! 😂

3 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Valid point!

It's like inviting someone to a party, when you know they can't attend.

Real win/win situations........

🤣 And, I guess we've all done that at some point!

On 1/5/2021 at 6:27 PM, MsTabbyKats said:

You did notice I said that in the original post!  It's just an idea....probably a stupid idea. 

I don't think it's stupid at all!! I commend you.  There really isn't anything to lose financially and I think many people cherish family time much more then they did pre-covid. 

I would want to know what would happen if I found a better promo between now and final payment? We both know that 3rd and 4th isn't really 'free' so if they offered a promo that doesn't include 3/4, but benefited me financially, I'd want to be able to cancel him then and reprice. It seems to me you should be able to, but I'd personally want to double check.

My mother and I traveled extensively together and I cherish those memories. IMO, your son would really be missing out should he choose not to go. Maybe (just thinking out loud), if he didn't want to room with you, you could spring for a studio? I can't remember if your ship has them still or not. 

Anyway, I think it's a wonderful gesture. 

6 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

To be clear to MsTabbyKats, I think so too....she's a special mother. 

My posts on the subject were simply to iterate that this would never have been for me in my 30's, and probably says more about me than anything else! 😂

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I don't think it's stupid at all!! I commend you.  There really isn't anything to lose financially and I think many people cherish family time much more then they did pre-covid. 

I would want to know what would happen if I found a better promo between now and final payment? We both know that 3rd and 4th isn't really 'free' so if they offered a promo that doesn't include 3/4, but benefited me financially, I'd want to be able to cancel him then and reprice. It seems to me you should be able to, but I'd personally want to double check.

My mother and I traveled extensively together and I cherish those memories. IMO, your son would really be missing out should he choose not to go. Maybe (just thinking out loud), if he didn't want to room with you, you could spring for a studio? I can't remember if your ship has them still or not. 

So, this is what is happening:

I am assuming, with 99.9999% confidence my April/Bahamas (balcony) 2021Getaway cruise will be canceled.  If it's not, I'll cancel the day before final payment (Jan 29).

I was looking for a replacement...and I found a Canada 2021 (Oct) Joy cruise.  Since there is no reason for a balcony in Oct to Canada, I looked into OV.  There are a couple of very large OVs, facing forward (DH likes to pretend he's the captain...lol).  In playing around, I realized that the additional cost for my son would be minimal, and nothing if he's a no-show.

Basically...he'd be along for the ride.  I want that ship because I like different ships.  I wouldn't pay for a separate cabin for him....he travels a lot, and never was interested in cruising.  This would be an "almost free" way for him to experiment.

Once I book and include him, I won't be looking for better offers.

If this cruise doesn't happen....I have a Carnival Sept 2022 cruise booked for the same itinerary.  It seems that 3 to a large OV cabin (with 2 bathrooms) would be less than the cost of the NCL cruise (although I'd lose some money if he were a no-show).  Based upon his disappointment level...I'll invite him to join us on that one.

@hamrag

I'm with you.  At 34 and single....let your imagination run wild!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MsTabbyKats said:

So, this is what is happening:

I am assuming, with 99.9999% confidence my April/Bahamas (balcony) 2021Getaway cruise will be canceled.  If it's not, I'll cancel the day before final payment (Jan 29).

I was looking for a replacement...and I found a Canada 2021 (Oct) Joy cruise.  Since there is no reason for a balcony in Oct to Canada, I looked into OV.  There are a couple of very large OVs, facing forward (DH likes to pretend he's the captain...lol).  In playing around, I realized that the additional cost for my son would be minimal, and nothing if he's a no-show.

Basically...he'd be along for the ride.  I want that ship because I like different ships.  I wouldn't pay for a separate cabin for him....he travels a lot, and never was interested in cruising.  This would be an "almost free" way for him to experiment.

Once I book and include him, I won't be looking for better offers.

If this cruise doesn't happen....I have a Carnival Sept 2022 cruise booked for the same itinerary.  It seems that 3 to a large OV cabin (with 2 bathrooms) would be less than the cost of the NCL cruise (although I'd lose some money if he were a no-show).  Based upon his disappointment level...I'll invite him to join us on that one.

@hamrag

I'm with you.  At 34 and single....let your imagination run wild!

It seems like you are well researched in your planning; more should follow that model!

• Like 1