Carnival hopes to resume in April - Australia

I think this is a bit hopeful????? 

09:25

Carnival plans to resume cruises in Australia in April

It is just 10 months since the Ruby Princess disaster and cruise company Carnival is gearing up for another cruising season.

According to the Courier Mail, Carnival is hoping to resume cruises from Sydney to Brisbane in late April, and has seen a 400% demand in voyages to Queensland because international trips are delayed.

The proposed Queensland trips would include stopping at Cairns, Port Douglas, Airlie Beach and Moreton Island.

Carnival Australia vice-president Jennifer Vandekreeke told the Courier Mail:

We are going to be back with bells on.

We’re still in the hands of the state and federal governments, but there is already a lot of excitement about getting cruising back.

We’re getting a great response on bookings and we know there’s lots of passengers who can’t wait for us to come back so that’s really exciting.

7 minutes ago, tallieaus said:

I think this is a bit hopeful????? 

09:25

Carnival plans to resume cruises in Australia in April

It is just 10 months since the Ruby Princess disaster and cruise company Carnival is gearing up for another cruising season.

According to the Courier Mail, Carnival is hoping to resume cruises from Sydney to Brisbane in late April, and has seen a 400% demand in voyages to Queensland because international trips are delayed.

The proposed Queensland trips would include stopping at Cairns, Port Douglas, Airlie Beach and Moreton Island.

Carnival Australia vice-president Jennifer Vandekreeke told the Courier Mail:

We are going to be back with bells on.

We’re still in the hands of the state and federal governments, but there is already a lot of excitement about getting cruising back.

We’re getting a great response on bookings and we know there’s lots of passengers who can’t wait for us to come back so that’s really exciting.

? 400% demand in voyages to Queensland, when cruising hasn't been approved by the Federal Govt. yet!  Agree jumping the gun!

Conflicting information on the Qld Health website

One says 31 March for ban on cruise ships which maybe extended. 

https://www.health.qld.gov.au/system-governance/legislation/cho-public-health-directions-under-expanded-public-health-act-powers/restricting-cruise-ships-from-entering-queensland-waters-direction

The other has the public emergency until 30 April 

https://www.health.qld.gov.au/clinical-practice/guidelines-procedures/clinical-staff/mental-health/act/public-health-emergency-covid-19#:~:text=On 29 January 2020%2C a,the COVID-19 virus outbreak.&text=These amendments are temporary and,expire on 30 April 2021.

No doubt Carnival are hoping the first date applies for a late April start and doesn't get extended.

I suspect it will be extended.

Carnival advertising cruises in Sydney at least during I'm a Celebrity Get me out of here Australia - last year Carnival were featured during one of the challenges and I think had a competition running for a free cruise for the viewers.

I agree that plans for an April start to cruising are very optimistic. I don't think it will happen that soon, but I suppose the cruise lines have to get the government to consider the matter. I have felt for quite some time that our booked August cruise has a 50/50 chance of proceeding, but recently I have formed the opinion that we don't have even a 50% chance of a cruise in August.

From what I have seen, the cruise lines have strong bookings for cruises during this year. People have booked with the assurance that if the cruise doesn't go ahead, they will either get a refund of be able to shift their booking to a future date.

I can’t find anything from the federal government that gives a date.

Boarder force doesn’t give a date ,

I was under the impression it was March 17 .

Sydney port is still not showing anything and gives this link that doesn’t give a date.

https://www.health.gov.au/resources/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-information-for-the-marine-industry

I find it hard to believe they will be cruising in April considering the quarantine.

Carnival would be taking deposits, so if the cruises don't happen, Carnival can keep the deposit money to keep them afloat and hand out the usual Future Cruise Credits as recompense.

2 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Carnival would be taking deposits, so if the cruises don't happen, Carnival can keep the deposit money to keep them afloat and hand out the usual Future Cruise Credits as recompense.

You are probably right uncle Les , a bit of cash flow.

I don’t know if the ships need recertifications ??,get some crew , 3 lots of quarantine, organise provisions and bring the ship from Singapore.
All this after a March go ahead, can’t happen.

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

We have several cruises booked. The Princess ones were booked using Future Cruise Deposits (no more money outlaid) and the P&O ones on $1 pp deposit. That money won't keep them afloat!

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

I can’t find anything from the federal government that gives a date.

Boarder force doesn’t give a date ,

I was under the impression it was March 17 .

Sydney port is still not showing anything and gives this link that doesn’t give a date.

https://www.health.gov.au/resources/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-information-for-the-marine-industry

I find it hard to believe they will be cruising in April considering the quarantine.

Here is a link to Minister Hunt's announcement of the extension where he says - The emergency period, which has been in place since 18 March 2020, is now set to cease on 17 March 2021.

https://www.health.gov.au/ministers/the-hon-greg-hunt-mp/media/extending-the-human-biosecurity-emergency-period-by-three-months

This is the link to the doorstop interview he and the CMO gave on 8 Dec about the extension.

https://www.health.gov.au/ministers/the-hon-greg-hunt-mp/media/doorstop-interview-on-8-december-2020

The act can only be extended by 3 months at a time so we wait until mid March to see if it gets extended again.

Edited by Cruisegroover
Add extra link

11 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

We have several cruises booked. The Princess ones were booked using Future Cruise Deposits (no more money outlaid) and the P&O ones on $1 pp deposit. That money won't keep them afloat!

Not sure if Carnival Cruise Lines does FCC's. I have only done one Carnival cruise on Carnival Spirit, Hawaii to Vancouver and Alaska back in 2005. The fun ship but no waterslides back then.

15 minutes ago, Cruisegroover said:

Here is a link to Minister Hunt's announcement of the extension where he says - The emergency period, which has been in place since 18 March 2020, is now set to cease on 17 March 2021.

https://www.health.gov.au/ministers/the-hon-greg-hunt-mp/media/extending-the-human-biosecurity-emergency-period-by-three-months

This is the link to the doorstop interview he and the CMO gave on 8 Dec about the extension.

https://www.health.gov.au/ministers/the-hon-greg-hunt-mp/media/doorstop-interview-on-8-december-2020

The act can only be extended by 3 months at a time so we wait until mid March to see if it gets extended again.

I thought it was 17 March.

Unless the cruise lines are going to take a gamble and start preparing now 

I can’t see April as a goer.

It took Quantum 3 months before they took a passager.

Edited by Chiliburn

4 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Not sure if Carnival Cruise Lines does FCC's. I have only done one Carnival cruise on Carnival Spirit, Hawaii to Vancouver and Alaska back in 2005. The fun ship but no waterslides back then.

No, Carnival doesn't have FCDs, only Princess (of the Carnival Corp fleets). I'm not sure whether Celebrity offers something similar, I seem to recall some mention of something like that but not as flexible as Princess. I might be wrong though.

Happy New Year to all! 

I have a Carnival cruise booked for August out of Brisbane and another one in November on Princess from the the same port. No deposit needed for Princess as I had an FCC but paid a small deposit on the Carnival cruise.  As I understand it some of the first cruises are likely to go out of Brisbane so that suits me! Just keeping my fingers crossed as I'm missing my cruises! 

7 hours ago, NSWP said:

They don't do FCC.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

It could be coming direct to Brisbane after picking up the crew. 🤔

When cruising does commence here I suspect the government will insist that ships arrive with crew only and with enough time in hand to ensure the crew has essentially been in lockdown on that ship for the usual quarantine period, which may include the time it took for the ship to get here from its last port stop.

• Like 1