Free car travel on Spirit of Tasmania.

Yes, thats a great deal... Apparently, a problem with rental car availability, and now supply/damand prices, after companies sold cars off last year..

Actually, we  just booked another special deal a week ago, so missed out on the freeby car.. We got concession deal of February daytime sailings round trip for 2 incl car for ~ $620..  Never seen prices like that before..  

Usually visit Tassie by air and then rent car, so this our  first "cruise"  across the Straight in more than 40 Yrs.. 

Tassie is a great State to explore, for any-one needing an escape..

4 hours ago, Big Kev said:

Actually, we  just booked another special deal a week ago, so missed out on the freeby car.. We got concession deal of February daytime sailings round trip for 2 incl car for ~ $620..  Never seen prices like that before..  

Great Price...... on our first crossing to Tassie in August 2008... got a great deal for the two of us,  car and deluxe cabin return for $700    

Since then for 2 + car + cabin   prices from $850 - $1250

Hoping to do our 13th crossing in March

Don

Edited by getting older slowly

43 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

Great Price...... on our first crossing to Tassie in August 2008... got a great deal for the two of us,  car and deluxe cabin return for $700    

Since then for 2 + car + cabin   prices from $850 - $1250

Hoping to do our 13th crossing in March

Don

Good news for you Don after waiting so long.  March is a lovely month in Tassie. 

• Thanks 1

Yep that's good deal. The SPOT is going to relocate to Geelong next year will be plotting and scheming to spend around a couple of weeks in Tassie in 2022 I reckon if I plan it right it will be a good trip. Lets hope Covid behaves itself.

Great offer Tasmanian Government & The Spirit Of Tasmanian..

I would rather take my Golf GTI & enjoy driving some of the best driving roads & most picturesque scenes in the country. Then paying over $100 a day For something like a Corolla. 

March holidays sorted...

Edited by Hunter69

9 hours ago, Hunter69 said:

I would rather take my Golf GTI & enjoy driving some of the best driving roads & most picturesque scenes in the country. Then paying over $100 a day For something like a Corolla. 

March holidays sorted...

Total agreed... as we mostly stay a self contained place... we travel heavy,  so taking the car is a must, also i believe a lot of the hire companies don't allow dirt roads,  which puts the highlands out...

Not sure about snow and flood waters either......lol

So far we have spent 31 week holidays in Tassie about the only places we haven't visited at Maria Island and Flinders Island

Cheers Don

Yeah saw it, just wish we could take advantage of it, so Miss my pretty much annual trip to Tassie, I would however still be worried about going back into lockdown.

First time I ever got Mrs G on a ship was the Spirit back in ‘99, el capitain said it was the smoothest crossing he had ever experienced, she got violently sick, figured there was no chance of an actual cruise after that. Coming home it was a bit choppy and she was fine. Go figure.

A couple of years later got her into Pacific Princess, yep back to TAS again, she was OK, so the next year back on Pacific again, heading north sailed into the rail end of a Cyclone, waves crashing on out deck 7 balcony, one night there were only 6 or 8 in the dining room, over 400 seeking sea sickness shots (out of 680) ship smelled of vomit for about a day. We were fine, and hooked.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hunter69 said:

March holidays sorted...

Talking about rental cars in Tas. My son was in Hobart on business about 3 weeks ago, he tried to rent a car from Hertz at Hobart Airport, non available he said. They told him due to low or zero tourist numbers they had reduced the rental car fleets over there to very low stock. So he caught cabs.

22 hours ago, NSWP said:

Talking about rental cars in Tas. My son was in Hobart on business about 3 weeks ago, he tried to rent a car from Hertz at Hobart Airport, non available he said. They told him due to low or zero tourist numbers they had reduced the rental car fleets over there to very low stock. So he caught cabs.

Wow   Les... something i wouldn't have thought about... It make you wonder  how many businesses are really affected by lack of tourists... and snowballing  down the line....

You think about some small towns... will this push them over the edge....

Don 

1 minute ago, getting older slowly said:

I would be not booking yet... too soon....I think

( at least there wasn't a condition for free car  it had to be part of carry on luggage....lol )

As much as I’d love to go, really need to wait until we are sure there won’t be more border closures.

50 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

As much as I’d love to go, really need to wait until we are sure there won’t be more border closures.

I am in same boat ( to speak ) It is the BH birthday late March and would love to take her back to Tassie to same place we were at 10 year ago...... we will see...

Don 

15 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

I am in same boat ( to speak ) It is the BH birthday late March and would love to take her back to Tassie to same place we were at 10 year ago...... we will see...

Don 

While Mrs Gut is still working full time I’m not sure how they’d take it if we went and couldn’t get home again for months. Just too great a risk as tempted I am, so probably a road trip within NSW next holidays. Probably a slow trip to Lismore to see her dad.

6 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

No mate delivery now set down for next Tuesday. Waiting waiting waiting.

Send us a pic mate, I am on a mini road trip out Temora way, Fri to Mon in ye olde..

779408825_th(2).jpg.dc0a385c7b53cc6d98046d1218bee286.jpg

Edited by NSWP

9 hours ago, NSWP said:

Send us a pic mate, I am on a mini road trip out Temora way, Fri to Mon in ye olde..

779408825_th(2).jpg.dc0a385c7b53cc6d98046d1218bee286.jpg

Similar colour to yours Les, we added a nudge bar (Mrs Gut has frequent close calls with Roos) after the build order was sent, so that needed fitting before delivery. But photo will follow...

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, NSWP said:

I am on a mini road trip out Temora way, Fri to Mon in ye olde..

Enjoy your trip Uncle Les, beautiful part of the country out that way & there may be a couple of RSL's for you to visit, just for educational reasons 🙂

Now that I am back at work after our Xmas/New Year staycation, and have my CX-5 all serviced, I am starting to plan our regional NSW trips starting from late Feb, using up my leave. A trip down your way & down to Eden is one penciled in, and we have an accommodation voucher for Mic's locale to use, and we want to do a run out through Central West and down thru Riverina also this year.

At this stage the next cruise is scheduled for Mar 2022, so some time to fill.

Something to look forward to as I contemplate the timing for retirement!

Did anyone else bite the bullet and book a trip to Tassie under this offer? The terms seemed reasonable so we decided to be brave and book. The website was a total mess at 12.01 am on the 14th. Lots of pent up demand for travel out there and everyone was trying to get on the website at once, so it kept crashing out half way through making your booking. It was just like the chaos on the days Princess releases new cruises. After 2 frustrating hours, it was mission accomplished and we have a booking for late March.

Now I can amuse myself doing some holiday planning again. Have managed to book accommodation in several places, but the asking prices were a bit of a shock. It really is a reminder of the great value cruise prices were over the last few years.