Hotel Red Hook

18 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Did you ever go there ? Did you ever go to Warm Beer Lousy Food aka Crazy Country Club ?

I never went to McSorley's or Crazy Country Club.

By the way I also worked in lower Manhattan at various times and places in the late 60's and early 70's. I had one job on lower Broadway, one on Maiden Lane and one on Nassau St. 

18 hours ago, njhorseman said:

By the way I also worked in lower Manhattan at various times and places in the late 60's and early 70's. I had one job on lower Broadway, one on Maiden Lane and one on Nassau St. 

I worked on Maiden Lane in 1968.

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

I worked on Maiden Lane in 1968 for Union Mutual Life Insurance Co.

Two of my three jobs downtown were in the insurance industry. I believe in 1968 my first job in the area, which I took after leaving graduate school because I suppose I was tired of going to school at that point, was with Home Life insurance Company at 253 Broadway, right across the street from City Hall Park. Home Life left the city eventually and as I understand it the building is now a designated NY City landmark and occupied largely by NY City government offices. 

My other insurance job downtown was with Insurance Services Office on Maiden Lane. or maybe it was on Water St near Maiden Lane. I was there for a while in the early 70's. They are now part of a larger company and based in Jersey City.

I floated back and forth between grad school and work for a few years in the late 60's and early 70's, and between stints in "real" jobs and grad school I worked for a while at Goldsmith Brothers stationery, 77 Nassau St.  I was a camera salesman. I actually liked the job but it didn't pay very well. Goldsmith Brothers closed in 1976.

Edited by njhorseman

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

Two of my three jobs downtown were in the insurance industry. I believe in 1968 my first job in the area, which I took after leaving graduate school because I suppose I was tired of going to school at that point, was with Home Life insurance Company at 253 Broadway, right across the street from City Hall Park. Home Life left the city eventually and as I understand it the building is now a designated NY City landmark and occupied largely by NY City government offices. 

My other insurance job downtown was with Insurance Services Office on Maiden Lane. or maybe it was on Water St near Maiden Lane. I was there for a while in the early 70's. They are now part of a larger company and based in Jersey City.

I floated back and forth between grad school and work for a few years in the late 60's and early 70's, and between stints in "real" jobs and grad school I worked for a while at Goldsmith Brothers stationery, 77 Nassau St.  I was a camera salesman. I actually liked the job but it didn't pay very well. Goldsmith Brothers closed 

I had part-time jobs every semester while in college,most of which were in the health insurance industry.

Looks like all three of us were in same area late 60’s and early 70’s. My first job after  free computer class offered by nyc was as a computer operator for US Lines at 1 Broadway they still owned a couple cruise ships including SS United States, that was in 1967 in 68 went to a brokerage house Reynolds which was 2 broadway, got drafted in 1969 then returned to Reynolds then worked at ADP at 42 broadway which then moved to 4 New York plaza was there till late 70’s. Eventually worked for oil company Caltex which relocated me to Dallasin 1982.

On 2/20/2021 at 10:44 PM, njhorseman said:

I believe that you and I are approximately the same age .Since you lived in NYC I wonder if perhaps we may be alumni  of the same college or colleges.I had a dual major of Psychology and Sociology ,a minor in English with a concentration in Literature and completed by undergraduate studies at Brooklyn College.I pursued a Masters at the New School.May I ask where you studied ?

I believe that you and I are approximately the same age .Since you lived in NYC I wonder if perhaps we may be alumni  of the same college or colleges.I had a dual major of Psychology and Sociology ,a minor in English with a concentration in Literature and completed by undergraduate studies at Brooklyn College.I pursued a Masters at the New School.May I ask where you studied ?

Len, you may be a couple of years older since I started college at 16. We didn't attend the same schools.

I'm  a mathematician by education, and did my undergraduate work first at Union College in Schenectady, NY but eventually graduated from Wagner College in Staten Island.

My graduate work was at SUNY Stony Brook.

35 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Len, you may be a couple of years older since I started college at 16. We didn't attend the same schools.

I'm  a mathematician by education, and did my undergraduate work first at Union College in Schenectady, NY but eventually graduated from Wagner College in Staten Island.

My graduate work was at SUNY Stony Brook.

Thanks for responding ,Paul.

On 2/20/2021 at 7:46 PM, lenquixote66 said:

I remember that it did not allow women in there.I cannot recall why.

Tradition - it was a  men’s hangout until the feminist movement gathered steam around 1970 - there was also a “Men’s Bar” at the Biltmore Hotel - adjoining Grand Central Station - close to that archetypical rendezvous spot: “Under the Clock”.

13 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Tradition - it was a  men’s hangout until the feminist movement gathered steam around 1970 - there was also a “Men’s Bar” at the Biltmore Hotel - adjoining Grand Central Station - close to that archetypical rendezvous spot: “Under the Clock”.

Are you older than me in that you remember these things or did you google it ?

21 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Are you older than me in that you remember these things or did you google it ?

Uncertain about relative age, but I remember those places; as well as other distinctive watering holes - such as the Menemsha Bar, which had interior windows through which you could see and hear periodic “thunderstorms”, and the Whaler Bar at the Midston - you entered via a gangplank from the lobby and could watch the waves through the portholes.  It’s kind of too bad that things had to get so homogenized that men’s bars had to be outlawed — why not start up some women only bars as well?  When it comes to enjoying a drink, does everything have to be correct?

5 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Uncertain about relative age, but I remember those places; as well as other distinctive watering holes - such as the Menemsha Bar, which had interior windows through which you could see and hear periodic “thunderstorms”, and the Whaler Bar at the Midston - you entered via a gangplank from the lobby and could watch the waves through the portholes.  It’s kind of too bad that things had to get so homogenized that men’s bars had to be outlawed — why not start up some women only bars as well?  When it comes to enjoying a drink, does everything have to be correct?

I never heard of those places ,however there was a restaurant on W. 72 St .

You would take an elevator down one flight and you were in a clipper ship.

The restaurant staff were dressed as pirates.This was a seafood restaurant with entrees at $75 and up circa 1990.

24 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I never heard of those places ,however there was a restaurant on W. 72 St .

You would take an elevator down one flight and you were in a clipper ship.

The restaurant staff were dressed as pirates.This was a seafood restaurant with entrees at $75 and up circa 1990.

Sounds like a pricey Long John Silver’s or Red Lobster. 

1 minute ago, navybankerteacher said:

Sounds like a pricey Long John Silver’s or Red Lobster. 

Good friends of ours suggested going there.They did not tell us that it would be pricey.We never went back,however.I cannot recall the name of it.

From many previous posts that you have made I assume that we are in the same age range,70’s .

3 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Good friends of ours suggested going there.They did not tell us that it would be pricey.We never went back,however.I cannot recall the name of it.

From many previous posts that you have made I assume that we are in the same age range,70’s .

Without getting too specific:  at least.

While aging is not always great in all respects, it is good to be able to remember more civilized times, while experiencing the amazing developments of today.  I do have some concerns about “nowism” - the notion that everything today is an improvement over the past.

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

Without getting too specific:  at least.

While aging is not always great in all respects, it is good to be able to remember more civilized times, while experiencing the amazing developments of today.  I do have some concerns about “nowism” - the notion that everything today is an improvement over the past.

Do you really believe that everything today is better than years ago ?

In the 1960’s I could walk anywhere in NYC at any time of day without fear of being mugged .I could never say that in 2021.

Do you really believe that everything today is better than years ago ?

In the 1960’s I could walk anywhere in NYC at any time of day without fear of being mugged .I could never say that in 2021.

Absolutely not -- that is my problem with nowism -- so much of what is currently acceptable was unheard of in the 1960's (and earlier).   Sure -- it was "progressive" to close the asylums for the mentally challenged - release them, give them meds to control their problems --- only problem being that too many of them are not able to play by the rules.  It SEEMED to save public monies - and was "nicer" - but the costs of their disruption should be deducted from the savings. (Not to mention the costs to people being attacked, stabbed, etc.)

26 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Absolutely not -- that is my problem with nowism -- so much of what is currently acceptable was unheard of in the 1960's (and earlier).   Sure -- it was "progressive" to close the asylums for the mentally challenged - release them, give them meds to control their problems --- only problem being that too many of them are not able to play by the rules.  It SEEMED to save public monies - and was "nicer" - but the costs of their disruption should be deducted from the savings. (Not to mention the costs to people being attacked, stabbed, etc.)

Do you recall the MPLF (mental patients liberation front) ?It was their premise that the patients should all be let out and the doctors take their places.

2 hours ago, AF-1 said:

I remember sitting in bleachers at Yankee Stadium with my brother watching a double header. $.75.  Those were the good times.

Doesn’t get much better than seeing a game at Yankee stadium with Mickey Mantle playing center field, I am sure I have some ticket stubs somewhere, I know I have the old yearbooks.

George C;  I have a scrapbook from my trips to the ballpark.  I went from 61-63.   Also my high school played the halftime show for the NY Giants when they shared Yankee Stadium.  Played the 65 World Fair in Queens too.  Those were some great memories.  I grew up in Jersey. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AF-1 said:

I remember sitting in bleachers at Yankee Stadium with my brother watching a double header. $.75.  Those were the good times.

1 hour ago, George C said:

Doesn’t get much better than seeing a game at Yankee stadium with Mickey Mantle playing center field, I am sure I have some ticket stubs somewhere, I know I have the old yearbooks.

Spent many an afternoon in Yankee Stadium watching "The Mick." My first baseball glove was a Rawlings Mickey Mantle model. Tried to imitate his batting stance...even tried to switch hit, but I couldn't even hit very well on my natural side, right handed.

I have to say though that my most interesting and unusual childhood baseball experience came at a Dodgers-Giants game at the Polo Grounds that my father had taken me to in 1955. As improbable as it may seem, Jackie Robinson hit into a triple play that day.

• Like 1