VACCINE AVAILABILITY

mcrcruiser

43 minutes ago, Babr said:

I guess it depends on where you live inTexas. In our town, the waiting list at the hospital is over 1,000 as of yesterday. The health department does not maintain a list nor do they answer the phone. They randomly make doses available on the website, but there is never an announcement so it is like throwing bread crumbs to pigeons. If you happen to be checking at that moment, you might be able to register for an appointment before they are all gone, but it is entirely luck.

Yesterday I saw that Tom Thumb/Randall's groceries are now taking online appointments.  

56 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Yesterday I saw that Tom Thumb/Randall's groceries are now taking online appointments.  

Thanks, but not where I live. We do not have a Tom Thumb or a Randall’s. I’ll check their website to see if they are within 100 miles or so.

5 minutes ago, Babr said:

Thanks, but not where I live. We do not have a Tom Thumb or a Randall’s. I’ll check their website to see if they are within 100 miles or so.

Just did. None within mileage search area allowed on booking site. They go fast. 

Just now, Mary229 said:

Where are you located

Gulf Coast area near Houston. I’ve tried the hubs, but the new wait list is about 50,000. Registration sites for hubs in other nearby counties crash upon opening then fill quickly. Drugstores have not had new shipments in weeks, and they had only a small number for first line workers. None since. 

4 minutes ago, Babr said:

Gulf Coast area near Houston. I’ve tried the hubs, but the new wait list is about 50,000. Registration sites for hubs in other nearby counties crash upon opening then fill quickly. Drugstores have not had new shipments in weeks, and they had only a small number for first line workers. None since. 

Yeah, my sister lives in Houston and she finally got hers when visiting my mother in New Orleans this past weekend.  North Texas was a mess for the first 2 and half weeks of January but now they seem to have gotten into a rhythm.  

For the posters who live in San Diego county, Tri City Hospital in Oceanside is taking appointments for the moderna vaccine. I live in East county and will be driving 45 miles for my appointment and grateful. It was very easy to make appointment.  Laurie

• Like 1

Canada has fallen from 10th to 20th place in vaccination progress. Under 300,000 people in the entire country have had the dual shot Pfizer. All vaccines "scheduled" for Canada originate in the EU and now there is apparently a potential hick up re: trade boundaries.

Picking up the pace big time is required if there is even a chance of an Alaska season since Canadians often make up 30% or more of cruisers on voyages.

I have no expectations of having a completed vaccine process any time in the near future.

2 hours ago, ABoatNerd said:

Picking up the pace big time is required if there is even a chance of an Alaska season since Canadians often make up 30% or more of cruisers on voyages.

There is no chance of an Alaska 2021 season unless Canada and USA get the disease under control. Sorry! 

Here in BC, we had just 30 cases/day during the spring of 2020. Today, it is plateau at 400/day. Long way to go. 😒

14 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

There is no chance of an Alaska 2021 season unless Canada and USA get the disease under control. Sorry! 

Here in BC, we had just 30 cases/day during the spring of 2020. Today, it is plateau at 400/day. Long way to go. 😒

Agreed, at this point our sights have turned to 2022.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, lstrong said:

Here’s the link https://book.appointment-plus.com/ctbdj1vy/#/ for tri city

Thanks for posting this  link  . I just clicked on it & tried to make appointments for  either of the 2 vaccines & no appointments available it said .

Seems to me from all I have read it is not that we don't have facilities to give the shots but ,the availability of the vaccines is poor at this point due to government distribution & perhaps manufacturing shortages

We wish it were the other way around ;but ,we have resigned ourselves to the above facts & it will take time to get the vaccines to us 

25 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

How is the vaccination program going in Canada right now? I've heard, and am reading that it is a disaster.😕

12 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

13 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

We felt that we were safer if we booked cruises in 2022 vs 2021 . apparently even Arnold Donald ,CEO of Carnival corporation  believes that their ships should start cruising later in this year ,at the earliest 

10 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

Thanks for posting this  link  . I just clicked on it & tried to make appointments for  either of the 2 vaccines & no appointments available it said .

Seems to me from all I have read it is not that we don't have facilities to give the shots but ,the availability of the vaccines is poor at this point due to government distribution & perhaps manufacturing shortages

We wish it were the other way around ;but ,we have resigned ourselves to the above facts & it will take time to get the vaccines to us 

DW and I received our first dose of the Pfizer vaccination yesterday, scheduled for our second one on 2/17. 🙂

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

At distribution centers in Imperial Beach and Chula Vista. Appointments made via the COVID-19 SD County vaccination website.

I recalled that those cities in South Bay had the vaccine .just too far away for us . We are in no rush to get the vaccine & perhaps next month supplies will expand if not Feb then March . We would go to Tri city in Oceanside if need be ;but ,do prefer some place closer .with a expanded vaccine supply ,then each city should then have sufficient vaccines based on their populations  imo   .We can tell what is happening in the way of the vaccine supply from the daily e-mails we receive from San Diego county

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

DW and I received our first dose of the Pfizer vaccination yesterday, scheduled for our second one on 2/17. 🙂

That is 3 weeks apart. I thought the recommendation was for 4 weeks. I know that that is the time frame for our second shots (the Moderna vaccine).

Just now, ontheweb said:

That is 3 weeks apart. I thought the recommendation was for 4 weeks. I know that that is the time frame for our second shots (the Moderna vaccine).

Pfizer is 3 weeks, Moderna 4 weeks. Different protocols for the different vaccines.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Cruising-along said:

Pfizer is 3 weeks, Moderna 4 weeks.

Thanks, I did not know that.

We're just hoping on 2/19 there is no weather problem. There was a 4 day window for the first shot, and luckily we did not sign up for the last day when there was a storm. Not sure if they postponed it to another day or went ahead on schedule.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

How is the vaccination program going in Canada right now? I've heard, and am reading that it is a disaster.😕

It's not a disaster. It is proceeding at a typical snail's pace. Lack of clear and strong leadership. Not everyone in the processes operating at the same pace. 

BC province is currently in the phase of vax the medical workers and care homes. The real test comes when we begin to vax the public. Will we have enough vaccine?

Here in BC, we're lucky that the overwhelming majority of the people are sensible. Our losses are relatively light.

Still, we're starting to run out of patience with our leaders. The loss of faith means that there is a growing movement to seal our borders with a mandatory quarantine. IMO, we should convert our empty hotels to quarantine facilities.

We need to make choices, with the looming threat of super covid variants. The first choice is between tourist businesses and neighbourhood businesses. You know what my vote is. 

• Like 2

A number of family members around the US have received first doses.  In one year we've gone from beginning of pandemic, to developing vaccines, to shots in arms.  To me that's nothing short of miraculous.   I'm waiting with bated breath for my age group to open up, although DH had his shot and that makes our household so much safer, as he can do the shopping etc.

This has certainly been a terrible event, but part of the human experience.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

A number of family members around the US have received first doses.  In one year we've gone from beginning of pandemic, to developing vaccines, to shots in arms.  To me that's nothing short of miraculous.   I'm waiting with bated breath for my age group to open up, although DH had his shot and that makes our household so much safer, as he can do the shopping etc.

This has certainly been a terrible event, but part of the human experience.

I agree, while I understand the frustration it takes a while to make 600 million doses and get them distributed.  Ours probably won’t be until the spring, the curse of youth 😎😜