VACCINE AVAILABILITY

mcrcruiser

"I am in Oklahoma and one of the problems is there hasn’t been nearly enough vaccine released."

According to the CDC website updated January 11 @ 12:16pm:

Oklahoma Delivered 310300     Administered 154337

The CDC data indicates a surplus of 155,963 doses to date in Oklahoma. What improvements does the new administration need to make on the delivery?

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/?CDC_AA_refVal=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cdc.gov%2Fcoronavirus%2F2019-ncov%2Fcases-updates%2Fcases-in-us.html#vaccinations

I am in Washington state, and I still have to wait to get one even at 66. First they havent finished the medical personnel. However, my husband, who is Native American, got called for his first vaccine last Saturday as the Indian Health Clinics seem to be taking care of their elders before our state does. I am so happy for him.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, PoolSlider said:

Hello. You need to sign up for a MyOschner account. Once you have an account, you should be able to set up a “visit” and choose COVID vaccine. It helped me get my mother an appt. and her doctor is not related to Ochsner. In fact, they schedule 2 appts at that time. Please try.

I have managed to get an appointment because apparently my radiologist is in the Ochsner system.  Who  knew???

• Like 2

When Biden said there was no plan to get the shots into arms, I rolled my eyes and thought that was being a little ridiculous. Now I'm seeing how the lack of a universal plan is a big problem. It's frustrating to hear about all of the vaccine sitting on shelves and not getting distributed.

Think one of the big issues is that states are trying to follow the CDC guidelines of who gets the vaccines first instead of making sure they are getting out as much vaccine as possible in the shortest time frame. Know that the guidelines probably make sense on who is most in need, but the vaccine does no good sitting on shelves.

What is most frustrating is that the states knew this was coming and were not prepared adequately.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

I am happy for Citrus County, but when is Hillsborough County going to receive their doses, I wonder.

Ask and ye shall receive.   Scott. 

http://hillsborough.floridahealth.gov/newsroom/2021/01/covid-vaccination-update-01-11-2021.html

Edited by YXU AC*SE
  • Like 1

It seems like there may be good news tonight in that they are following through on Biden's plan to distribute vaccines as soon as possible and not hold back the 2nd shot.  Of course the UK has been doing this already.  This lack of national planning 😡.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruise NH said:

It seems like there may be good news tonight in that they are following through on Biden's plan to distribute vaccines as soon as possible and not hold back the 2nd shot.  Of course the UK has been doing this already.  This lack of national planning 😡.

As I have said repeatedly, the current problem is not the availability of vaccines, there are something like 15 million doses sitting in freezers around the country.  So now we will have 30 million doses sitting in freezers.  🙄. The problem is getting  the actual shot in an arm.  And with this new strategy we better hope when people show up for their second shot that the supply remains available.  Another massive planning failure by the federal and state governments.

Edited by KirkNC
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cruise NH said:

Actually, that is not what is being said. The main doctors in the US in the Covid brain trust  are not in favor of delaying the second shot. The concept is that production is ramping up, and should keep up with the need for second doses. 

But yes, Biden had announced his plan first, the Trump administration is now acting on it.

In Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, there is no vaccine for a city of a million.  There was some earlier, gone. No one knows when more will arrive.

Most LTC and elderly have had no vaccine.

I am allowed to have the vaccine as I am a caregiver to my 93 yr old Dad, but the public health unit refused to book an apt for the 2nd shot, so many people refusing the vaccine.

Now the entire province is in a state of emergency and you are not allowed to go out for a walk nor a drive in your vehicle for a change of scenery, I assume they would not arrest you, but still. I will be doing both. Oh and if you dare go to a store, you have to be 6 ft apart from your spouce, yeh right. Insane police state.

So I would say Ontario is a total disaster.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, KirkNC said:

As I have said repeatedly, the current problem is not the availability of vaccines, there are something like 15 million doses sitting in freezers around the country.  So now we will have 30 million doses sitting in freezers.  🙄. The problem is getting  the actual shot in an arm.  And with this new strategy we better hope when people show up for their second shot that the supply remains available.  Another massive planning failure by the federal and state governments.

As long as they would follow their applicable state's priority guidelines, any idea why pharmacies in general are not more involved yet in the shot giving process?

Edited by Ken the cruiser

After much effort, I was finally able to book an online appointment with Publix for my first shot tomorrow!  On Tuesday an announcement was made that Publix would begin giving the vaccine in a few more counties.  While the appointment process was frustrating (the system was obviously overwhelmed), once I was accepted into the queue, the process went smoothly.  I had tried on numerous days to get an appointment with the health department, but to no avail.  So glad Publix stepped up to help!

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

As long as they would follow their applicable state's priority guidelines, any idea why pharmacies in general are not more involved yet in the shot giving process?

Pharmacies will be (in our area, CVS, Walgreens and Safeway pharmacies have contracts) but, at least in California, thus far, all of the vaccines have gone to essential workers, (no vaccines to the general public yet) so giving the shots in hospital settings is easy, and to nursing home staff and residents, so giving in those locations is easy.

On 1/10/2021 at 12:02 PM, jay888 said:

I work for nhs in the uk and supporting the setting up of vaccination hubs.  We are vaccinating an amazing amount of people and this week we have the large vaccinating centres opening up.  My husband has has had his first and I will be receiving mind next week.

I think all we Brits are rightfully proud of our NHS and all that are associated with it.  Thank you jay888 for being a part of it.  We have one opening near to us in Stevenage.  OH should be fairly soon, at age 77, I'm 73 so in the following tier.

2 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

It’s up to each state and county.  It’s possible they are involved in some jurisdictions.

For us here in California it is a waiting game  .We hope that the public will know when both CVS & Walgreens have the  vaccines to administer the shots .  Imo ,as production ramps up it should give the states the time to make distribution plans effective to get the vaccines to market 

• Like 2

You folks getting shots are so lucky!

DW was happy a few days ago when she heard that in NY State teachers had moved up in the priorities.😊 And then the CDC announced that those over 65 should all be vaccinated now. We're both over 65.😊

And then today she heard that there is no vaccine in our county or the neighboring counties.😢

Doesn't do a lot of good to move up in priority for something that does not exist.