Tilbury arrival transfers for UK residents

julmops

Hi all,

we have just booked a back to back from Rome to Tilbury in December 21 / January 22.

As we are living in the UK, are any type of transfers included for us ? Not asking for transfers back home but are they driving you back to Central London for example ? Anyone who had experience with that ? Many thanks in advance.

Julmops

Perhaps the right person to be asking is your Viking or travel agent. Or the information might be covered in your Viking invoice.  

But you are living in the UK and are booking under slightly different terms and condition than those booking in other markets.  Another reason to go right to the source and ask Viking.  

However, if you are planning to arrive in Rome before embarkation day or stay in London beyond disembarkation day (aka deviate or deviation), there are no transfers available on the deviated leg (no mattter where you reside). In other words, Viking transfer are available only on embarkation and disembarkation days or on Day One or Day Last of your cruise package. 

As Peregrina noted, any transfers pre/post cruise should be included on your invoice.

When we used Tilbury, it isn't the easiest/convenient terminal to access. The parking area is small, but they did have a few taxis standing by. The closest railway station is about 1 mile, with regular service into Fenchurch St.

Rather than dealing with luggage multiple times to take a train into London, we booked an Addison Lee limo, which picked us up at the terminal and dropped us off in London. By the time we got a taxi from cruise terminal to the station and 2 train tickets, the limo wasn't that more expensive.

8 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

As Peregrina noted, any transfers pre/post cruise should be included on your invoice.

When we used Tilbury, it isn't the easiest/convenient terminal to access. The parking area is small, but they did have a few taxis standing by. The closest railway station is about 1 mile, with regular service into Fenchurch St.

Rather than dealing with luggage multiple times to take a train into London, we booked an Addison Lee limo, which picked us up at the terminal and dropped us off in London. By the time we got a taxi from cruise terminal to the station and 2 train tickets, the limo wasn't that more expensive.

But, if you are packing very light, the walk from the cruise terminal to the station is doable.  We saw a few couples with luggage as we walked from the terminal to the station.  

We are from the UK and have 2 cruises booked which start  and/or finish in either Tilbury or Greenwich.  We fly to or from Heathrow to Manchester airport and transfers are included.  As you mentioned getting to Heathrow I would have thought you would have got an included transfer unless you are staying a day or two  independently before flying home.  

2 hours ago, Dave W 10 said:

We also live in the UK and can confirm that when we arrived in Tilbury January 2020 (from Barcelona) there was no included transfer. We paid for a Viking coach transfer to Heathrow where we had left our car.

Dave

It is possible that your transfer was not included because you did not have a flight booked. OP's situation might be different and they should clarify with Viking before they make alternate plans.

Thanks all for your replies.

we live in South East England so wouldn’t need to fly anywhere but on the itinerary it mentions a transfer of some sort on arrival, hence my question 😉 

we did disembark once in Tilbury so we know the drill back to the station, it’s not bad.

@Peregrina651 is correct. The only time transfers are included is if you have air ( included or purchased )  from Viking and you fly in and out on embarkation and disembarkation day . You can purchase transfers if you want ,but generally they are just to the airport .

If you deviate from those dates, you need to pay for the transfer on that date.  Unless, things are different in the UK which is always possible.  Different countries, sometimes different rules. 

In rereading my post above, I realize that I incorrectly stated that if you deviate your air from the sail dates that you need to pay for transfers on that date.  In truth , normally you can not get Viking transfers if you fly in/out on any date other than the sail dates.  There might be a time when you are staying at the same pre or post cruise hotel and can talk someone into letting you buy a transfer or stay at the airport the night before and then try on the sail date to get them to take you from the airport,but to me that is a bit risky .  The only time that you can pay for airport transfers is when you do your own air tickets and you fly in/out on your own on sail dates. .

Sorry if I wasn’t clear enough. I’m from the UK and we will be on a back to back cruise from Rome to Tilbury.

I won’t need a hotel or a flight as we live in South East England and will catch a train back home.

however on my itinerary it says that there’s a transfer at the end of the cruise hence my question ... I was thinking that they might offer home transfer up to a certain mileage as some others do in the UK.

4 hours ago, julmops said:

however on my itinerary it says that there’s a transfer at the end of the cruise hence my question ... I was thinking that they might offer home transfer up to a certain mileage as some others do in the UK.

Call VikingUK and ask them to explain what it means. They will have a definitive answer for you as you are a UK resident and have booked in the UK

While I think that they will tell you that Viking only offers transfers to the airports, I may be completely wrong. I'm a Yank and I can only tell you how it works for us Yanks.

Best to go directly to the source for accurate answers.

8 hours ago, julmops said:

Sorry if I wasn’t clear enough. I’m from the UK and we will be on a back to back cruise from Rome to Tilbury.

I won’t need a hotel or a flight as we live in South East England and will catch a train back home.

I agree with @peregina651 in that you need to check with a UK agent as there are no transfers for us in the US unless you do their  airfare or pay if you want transfers while doing independant air. 

8 hours ago, julmops said:

I agree with Peregrina, calling Viking will provide the answer. If not taking pax to LHR, they may drop you off at Victoria Coach Station.

1 minute ago, Heidi13 said:

I agree with Peregrina, calling Viking will provide the answer. If not taking pax to LHR, they may drop you off at Victoria Coach Station.

I agree. With  many real time experiences ( vs. policy ) a lot depends on the agent handling the transfer.  I am a firm believer  in " you don't ask, you don't get "