Will P&O now delay announcements for future cruise pauses?

sidekick180

3 minutes ago, joeecco said:

I didn’t think it was a faff at all, especially when it means you can go on holiday. I’d do it again tomorrow if I could. As for the expense, we just saw it as part of the flight cost to get there. 

Half a day off work is a faff and an unexpected £150 bill was unwelcome. 

Everyone’s different but if I can forget going away for less than a week if these requirements remain 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, funinhounslow said:

Half a day off work is a faff and an unexpected £150 bill was unwelcome. 

Everyone’s different but if I can forget going away for less than a week if these requirements remain 

Half a day off work and £150 is nothing compared to two weeks holiday in my opinion. It’s a first world problem to be complaining about things we must do to go on holiday. 

26 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Down here in Devon, we are now down to less than 50 cases per 100K people.  It was worse than that when it was OK to go and stay in a hotel which we did back in October.  If they don't allow hospitality to open up soon, half these places will go under.

What do you think will happen to Devon’s infection rate if you “open up hospitality” and get a load of visitors from London where the rate is over 200 per 100,000? Or from Bristol where they have a rather nasty mutation?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Chrisdriving said:

Just had email from P and O  , they have extended the 30 day balance due date.

And not on a Tuesday, is this a first?

Not detracting from the good news though, I wonder if more cancellations will come soon.  Cancellations not really bad news as everyone expects at least some more to happen and the vast majority of people will be happy when the next tranche are done to give some clarity.

Edited by tring
  • Like 1

We have all but given up on our July cruise to Iceland on Aurora, we decided we would not be paying the balance due April as 90 days is too far in advance in a fast changing situation.

We both do not want a vaccine at this time(50 yrs and 51yrs old) so that will probably go against us being allowed to go anyway, neither of us are keen on the restrictions onboard so all in all it has not got much going for it.

But having to now pay in early June, things could look a bit different, there may be a chance we can go if things fall into place.

Its a welcome bit of breathing space and appreciated, thanks to P and O.

But to add, my hunch is it will be cancelled anyway.

Edited by Chrisdriving

45 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

It makes you wonder whether all the doom and gloom is a deliberate ploy, then Boris can give us some good news on Feb 22nd. Apart from the SA strain of covid raising its ugly head things are looking more promising, infection, deaths and hospitalisation are falling at a good rate, there are several studies giving promising results for the vaccine, a few weeks and we are into the warmer weather. I am confident we will be coming out of lockdown soon, albeit slowly. I have pretty much resigned myself to holidaying in the UK this year, but am keeping my fingers crossed for cruising late summer.

It did cross my mind too 🤔

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, funinhounslow said:

What do you think will happen to Devon’s infection rate if you “open up hospitality” and get a load of visitors from London where the rate is over 200 per 100,000? Or from Bristol where they have a rather nasty mutation?

I imagine they will go back to Tiers, then those in a bad tier are not allowed to travel.  At least those in low areas can visit other low areas

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

It makes you wonder whether all the doom and gloom is a deliberate ploy, then Boris can give us some good news on Feb 22nd. Apart from the SA strain of covid raising its ugly head things are looking more promising, infection, deaths and hospitalisation are falling at a good rate, there are several studies giving promising results for the vaccine, a few weeks and we are into the warmer weather. I am confident we will be coming out of lockdown soon, albeit slowly. I have pretty much resigned myself to holidaying in the UK this year, but am keeping my fingers crossed for cruising late summer.

My thoughts too.

That would be fantastic if we got good news on February 22nd and it would be just like BJ to come out with this.

TBH there will be little or no Economy,Hospitality,Travel industry left if this went on for the rest of the year.

• Like 2

Just now, jeanlyon said:

I imagine they will go back to Tiers, then those in a bad tier are not allowed to travel.  At least those in low areas can visit other low areas

What bothers me is that we could book a hotel or other accommodation in what becomes a low tier, yet be in a higher tier ourselves, so not allowed to travel.  Would we be entitled to a cash refund?  Do you know how holiday businesses are dealing with that sort of problem Jean?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Our “authorities” are saying our relatively high rates now are because we stayed in Tier 3 whilst almost everywhere else was Tier 4 and people (rightly or wrongly) travelled here, some bringing their bugs with them

I thought I heard the PM say they do not want to reintroduce tiers as they eventually ease this lockdown?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, tring said:

What bothers me is that we could book a hotel or other accommodation in what becomes a low tier, yet be in a higher tier ourselves, so not allowed to travel.  Would we be entitled to a cash refund?  Do you know how holiday businesses are dealing with that sort of problem Jean?

No I don't.  Back in October.  We travelled to Worcester and stayed there.  It was low in both places.  Just after we got back, I noticed their numbers went up high.  We also had a trip booked for my birthday in January down to Cornwall, but then we hit lockdown.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Eddie99 said:

Our “authorities” are saying our relatively high rates now are because we stayed in Tier 3 whilst almost everywhere else was Tier 4 and people (rightly or wrongly) travelled here, some bringing their bugs with them

I thought I heard the PM say they do not want to reintroduce tiers as they eventually ease this lockdown?

Maybe when the lockdown is eased if you have proof of having had the vaccine or had recovered from covid19 might be sufficient to enable you to stay away from home in the UK.

Before lockdown a hotel told us you had to isolate for 7 days before arrival but don't see how they could have verified this.

Just now, jeanlyon said:

OK, yes that makes sense.  Presume they haven't extended the cruise cancellation.

Just checked website for a dummy booking of your October cruise (Aurora to the Med I think I recall?) and final payment says July 16th now, so in line with people that have had their final payment deadline reduced which seems fair for now. 

2 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Latest from the Transport Secretary this morning, which doesn’t sound encouraging even for UK holidays this year, let alone overseas ones;

It is "too soon" for travellers to start booking holidays, Transport Secretary Grant Shapps says.

"First of all, I should say, people shouldn't be booking holidays right now - not domestically or internationally," he tells BBC Radio 4's Today programme.

"The prime minister will say more about the route to unlocking this country, starting when he speaks about it on 22 February.

"But we don't know yet whether that will include information on things like holidays, simply because we don't know where we'll be up to in terms of the decline in cases, deaths, vaccination.

"And not just the vaccination programme here, but the vaccination programme internationally, because people will be going outside of our borders.

"So it's too soon."

Isnt it right that some time ago Matt Hancock announced that he had booked a summer holiday in Cornwall if so nice to know that Ministers are singing from the same song sheet. If they cannot agree a plan and stick to it how are we supposed to know what to do.

• Like 2