Will P&O now delay announcements for future cruise pauses?

sidekick180

3 minutes ago, the english lady said:

Haven't been here for a while. My thoughts entirely. I dont think cruising will open up until all countries have got the majority of their population vaccinated. I feel they will want everyone entering their country to be vaccinated before entry is allowed. Having spent millions to get a country out of this, I dont think they will welcome 1,000's coming in in one go, without a vaccination card. A bit like yellow fever. what do others feel. I am also not expecting an American ships to come over this year. Their season is approx april-Oct. Well they will not be coming over in april, so will they come over for a much shorter season. I would hope we would not have a transatlantic coming over here, without them all being vaccinated. 

A lot of the American ships are over here and in the Med waiting to restart when appropriate.

56 minutes ago, the english lady said:

Haven't been here for a while. My thoughts entirely. I dont think cruising will open up until all countries have got the majority of their population vaccinated. I feel they will want everyone entering their country to be vaccinated before entry is allowed. Having spent millions to get a country out of this, I dont think they will welcome 1,000's coming in in one go, without a vaccination card. A bit like yellow fever. what do others feel. I am also not expecting an American ships to come over this year. Their season is approx april-Oct. Well they will not be coming over in april, so will they come over for a much shorter season. I would hope we would not have a transatlantic coming over here, without them all being vaccinated. 

Quite a lot of the Americsn ships are in fact already here, so they won't need to make a special effort. So I think they are hoping that something of the European summer season can be salvaged.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gettingwarmer said:

A lot of the American ships are over here and in the Med waiting to restart when appropriate.

Exactly, which is why some of us here have booked a speculative cruise on Princess in October.

• Like 3

I want to book a Fjords cruise for summer/autumn,  but I can't see any cruises this year.  The UK Govt is preparing to tighten borders further and other countries are doing the same.  Vaccine roll out is very patchy across Europe and countries will not want new strains being imported.  All very gloomy for travel sadly.

48 minutes ago, mat5664 said:

I want to book a Fjords cruise for summer/autumn,  but I can't see any cruises this year.  The UK Govt is preparing to tighten borders further and other countries are doing the same.  Vaccine roll out is very patchy across Europe and countries will not want new strains being imported.  All very gloomy for travel sadly.

Not sure where you are looking, but cruises for July, August and September to the Norwegian Fjords still on P&O website.

1 minute ago, jaydee6969 said:

Not sure where you are looking, but cruises for July, August and September to the Norwegian Fjords still on P&O website.

I think he was saying he doesn’t see cruising happening this year despite them being on sale. Lots of differing opinions again. 

• Like 3

Practically, any tightening of borders may only last for 8 weeks. I still believe that May is the right focus of restarting cruises even if they are scenic cruises from Southampton.

Looking at the data, we seem to be equivalent to where we were at the end of April. Where we will be in one month, two months, three months are each likely to look very different. The difference this time is that as we go into summer, with more and more being vaccinated, we will hopefully avoid the impact of September 20''s rise in transmission. One may hope that before we get to September '21, the government insists that anyone going to university is vaccinated first.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Practically, any tightening of borders may only last for 8 weeks. I still believe that May is the right focus of restarting cruises even if they are scenic cruises from Southampton.

Looking at the data, we seem to be equivalent to where we were at the end of April. Where we will be in one month, two months, three months are each likely to look very different. The difference this time is that as we go into summer, with more and more being vaccinated, we will hopefully avoid the impact of September 20''s rise in transmission. One may hope that before we get to September '21, the government insists that anyone going to university is vaccinated first.

One can only hope that the Government has a plan moving forward .............. one that makes sense that is.

1 hour ago, Presto2 said:

One can only hope that the Government has a plan moving forward .............. one that makes sense that is.

Why do we keep wanting a plan when no one has any idea what the infection rate is likely to be and how stressed the NHS is likely to be, next week, next month never mind in 3 or 6 months time. Especially when the media currently asking the questions will, with hindsight, be asking the govt why they made the wrong decisions.

• Like 5

On 1/23/2021 at 11:04 AM, mat5664 said:

We have transferred our May 21 cruise to end Aug 21 hoping there's more chance than May if not looking like going ahead will change to next May 

On 1/22/2021 at 12:04 PM, Gettingwarmer said:

They have skeleton crew. We have the odd ones in Southampton visiting. One  has been here for months..Norwegian something. This side they maybe but as I dont think they will be going any where this year, they can go to the other side of the pond to prepare for next season.

On 1/22/2021 at 12:58 PM, terrierjohn said:

Quite a lot of the Americsn ships are in fact already here, so they won't need to make a special effort. So I think they are hoping that something of the European summer season can be salvaged.

Really. Europe is behind us vaccinating. The crew will need to be vaccinated in their home countries, brought here from where ever,  trained etc (the ships are not drifting around with full crew on board ,especially housekeeping) The ships themselves will require a good month or more to get from where they are, to being prepared to take cruisers onboard. I am thinking mechanical side of things. 

41 minutes ago, the english lady said:

The crew will need to be vaccinated

Interestingly,  Saga are saying that only those passengers that have had two injections will be allowed on board when cruising restarts, but that the crew, entertainers etc will not be required to be vaccinated,  although they will have been quarantined prior to boarding the ship.

1 hour ago, Tikka234 said:

We have transferred our May 21 cruise to end Aug 21 hoping there's more chance than May if not looking like going ahead will change to next May 

Best in mind that posts on other threads are saying that prices for next year are increasing rapidly.

11 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Interestingly,  Saga are saying that only those passengers that have had two injections will be allowed on board when cruising restarts, but that the crew, entertainers etc will not be required to be vaccinated,  although they will have been quarantined prior to boarding the ship.

But if those that have had the vaccine can still pass the virus on - all the crew and entertainers could then catch Covid.......🙄

Edited by Angel57
Spelling
  • Like 3

Until the pandemic is under control on land, there’s little chance of cruising restarting.

A year into the pandemic, everyone knows that the virus likes a closed community as it can spread with ease, and a cruise is a closed community.

Therefore that risk needs to be removed.

Also while the pandemic is raging, the more people that get the virus means that there’s more change for it to mutate, and puting groups of people together and travel in general facilitates the spread of the new variants.

It’s anybody’s guess when the pandemic will be truly over 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, the english lady said:

The main thing is that if as many as possible get vaccinated , even if you pass it on  it should work like the flu vaccine. Either no symptoms, or less severe symptoms..ie less hospitalisations/death. That is the main thing.

Surely though if you pass it onto the crew /entertainment who may be unvaccinated then that is a serious issue for them and what then happens to the rest of the crew and passengers - presumably everyone quarantined?

Like I have said before it doesnt matter if all the passengers are vaccinated if the staff are not then they could still catch covid from those that have been vaccinated and then considering the conditions the staff live on cruise ships it would spread amongst staff like wildfire.

I am expecting an announcement as early as tomorrow. Sone short term cancellations to get through April and May plus potentially some longer term ones for at least one ship.

Its a moveable target as desire to limit number of separate cancellation announcements but not everything under Carnival’s control.

Remember, cancellations don’t have to mean no sailings - just that the itineraries as planned aren’t seen as feasible.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, Angel57 said:

But if those that have had the vaccine can still pass the virus on - all the crew and entertainers could then catch Covid.......🙄

Possibly, possibly not, the experts don't have enough data to decide yet. But if the vaccine does provide enough immunity for the passengers, and if the waiters are young and unlikely to be ill if they do catch covid, then does it matter????:classic_cool:

• Like 2