Will P&O now delay announcements for future cruise pauses?

sidekick180

1 hour ago, molecrochip said:

Jan 14th was the vesting date for employee/executive share bonuses. These would have been given out over time, most likely before anyone heard of Covid. The vesting date would have been set in stone since they were issued.

They get 2 options; sell all or sell enough to cover taxes. Those individuals who were reportable in their own right each only sold enough to cover taxes.

This is a massive non story. No insider trading. In fact, at least one story only mentions the new shares that remained without releasing that each executive they named had considerably more already. What they ended up selling was a very small percentage of their total holdings.

Executives would be prevented from buying, or selling shares during ' closed ' periods. These are set by the company and would include periods before major announcements such as full year, or interim results, or major announcements that would affect share prices. As you say a non story, but everyone loves a good conspiracy theory.😁

11 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Thanks for posting. As you say, a total non-story, spread by people who have no understanding of the mechanics of director share ownership. 

I would imagine that happens quite regularly, very few people even highly paid CEO's have enough cash deposits to pay for their maturing share options.  

In fact as a fairly lowly paid employee I used to do exactly the same when my ICI share options matured, however I doubt that my sales would have raised any eyebrows with whichever dept checked for insider dealing!!!

Edited by terrierjohn

3 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I would imagine that happens quite regularly, very few people even highly paid CEO's have enough cash deposits to pay for their maturing share options.  

In fact as a fairly lowly paid employee I used to do exactly the same when my ICI share options matured.

I worked for a very large plc. On maturity of an executive share option the companies expectation was that you sold enough shares to cover your costs and kept the remainder. Not compelled to, but that was the intention.

16 minutes ago, ann141 said:

Do you think it will be made today or wait until 10am tomorrow?

I am getting a bit impatient as well.

Starting to think again about the events with Azura recently.  Someone prepared to buy before a big service is due?  We may well sell a car at that time, especially if it could not be used until after the service.  From what has been said previously, she has already had a fair bit done in readiness for covid times.  Not much happening here for a while, but The East seems to be returning to Normal.

I wonder.

Edited by tring

On the website, the list of cruises after searching now says ‘View Itinerary’ in the red box instead of book now.  But when you click on you can still press book now. Had a mini panic for a second haha! Maybe they are starting to edit the website ready for an easier transition 

10 minutes ago, joeecco said:

On the website, the list of cruises after searching now says ‘View Itinerary’ in the red box instead of book now.  But when you click on you can still press book now. Had a mini panic for a second haha! Maybe they are starting to edit the website ready for an easier transition 

I searched the website earlier and also felt it was not working as normal, but eventually found our cruise at the 3rd try.

12 hours ago, wowzz said:

Hopefully by now you will gave realised that your post is totally without foundation.  

I’m so sorry for posting something that may have had to do something to do with cruising I’ll let you carry on talking about university🖕

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Manx buoy said:

I’m so sorry for posting something that may have had to do something to do with cruising I’ll let you carry on talking about university🖕

If you read the posts after the one in question you will see that the information you had posted from social media was not true, in the sense of what it sounded like and which you appeared to believe.  Hence it was probably a good idea to correct that wrong information.

If you have not read the subsequent posts, reading them will explain the situation.

Edited by tring
  • Like 1

No news on substance. I expect it to include some cancellation as we’re now getting tight to restart on 24/04 but could include a couple of other things a) new trial cruises, b) longer term cancellations on specific ships.

Carnival Cruise Line is not a good indicator of what P&O will do. Nor is Cunard. Both companies have very mixed nationality audiences which makes matter complex. P&O is something like 98% British resident which makes planning easier.

Not expecting any further announcement today as this morning P&O launched their new marketing campaign. This indicates confidence.

Infection rates are dropping, hospitalisation rates are at the peak, people vaccinated going up. These are all good points.

Ultimately, it will be less about when cruises restart and more about where they go.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

No news on substance. I expect it to include some cancellation as we’re now getting tight to restart on 24/04 but could include a couple of other things a) new trial cruises, b) longer term cancellations on specific ships.

Carnival Cruise Line is not a good indicator of what P&O will do. Nor is Cunard. Both companies have very mixed nationality audiences which makes matter complex. P&O is something like 98% British resident which makes planning easier.

Not expecting any further announcement today as this morning P&O launched their new marketing campaign. This indicates confidence.

Infection rates are dropping, hospitalisation rates are at the peak, people vaccinated going up. These are all good points.

Ultimately, it will be less about when cruises restart and more about where they go.

Thanks for all your insights, much appreciated.

Do you think that if they changed a cruise destination, people would have to opt out of the cruise or opt in?

We are due to sail in Iona mid June to Norway, I’m beginning to feel like it won’t happen, scenic cruise only maybe? 

16 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Any thoughts about the ships that may be included in longer term cancellations? We are booked on Aurora to Norway in early August and I very much hope it will sail. Thanks

1 hour ago, joeecco said:

I have no interest in Carnival, purely P&O. 

Surely you must have an interest in Carnival, as their corporate polichas may have a bearing on what actions P&O may take.

Edited by wowzz

9 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Surely you must have an interest in Carnival, as their corporate polichas may have a bearing on what actions P&O may take.

Except the politics around ships sailing in US waters and those sailing out of Southampton are completely different.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, wowzz said:

5 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Except the politics around ships sailing in US waters and those sailing out of Southampton are completely different.

This is my point, they are run differently but owned collectively. I’m interested in Carnival corp but not carnival CL 

5 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Fair point. However I was also thinking about such things as Covid protocols,  which I assume will have fleet wide implications. 

16 hours ago, wowzz said:

Thanks for posting. As you say, a total non-story, spread by people who have no understanding of the mechanics of director share ownership. 

I concur.

When I was an executive director of a UK company, I was periodically give incentive options to buy shares in the company at a fixed price at a date some years in the future. If the share price at that time turned out to be considerably above the option price it was possible to buy the shares and simultaneously sell enough of them to fund the purchase price plus any cgt, leaving you with a holding of shares which effectively cost you nothing. Carnival directors may well have done something similar.

• Like 1