Car Rental Hawaii by NKT Travel

philv

Hi All, I am on the Pride of America 7 day inter-island itinerary in September and am doing some rental car research. Is anyone familiar with Car Rental Hawaii by NKT Travel? Website is carrentalhawaii.com. It looks like they specialize in one-day car rentals for cruise ship passengers. It looks very convenient and they say they have good rates with most major companies. Has anyone used them?

2 hours ago, philv said:

Hi All, I am on the Pride of America 7 day inter-island itinerary in September and am doing some rental car research. Is anyone familiar with Car Rental Hawaii by NKT Travel? Website is carrentalhawaii.com. It looks like they specialize in one-day car rentals for cruise ship passengers. It looks very convenient and they say they have good rates with most major companies. Has anyone used them?

What do they offer that makes them more special than the many other rental agencies in the islands?

Hi Silver Sweathearts. I’m not a member of any rental car company so I don’t have points or any incentives with anybody. This outfit works with them all and says they provide better pricing than you can get on your own piecemeal. So rather than shopping each one individually, it looks like I can shop options for each port on one website. Take a look at website and let me know what you think. 

16 hours ago, philv said:

This outfit works with them all and says they provide better pricing than you can get on your own piecemeal. So rather than shopping each one individually, it looks like I can shop options for each port on one website. Take a look at website and let me know what you think. 

It appears they are a wholesaler, much like Costco Travel for example, so do not think they are the only game in town. Here in Hawaii car rentals are very popular and rather reasonable.  The company you are looking at may/may not be a good deal, and the more you research the various companies, the more you may well save.

As a side note we found curious, the company you noted supposedly has roots not far from Kahului on Maui (where the POA docks) and describes Kahului as having picturesque narrow streets and recommend a compact car to navigate the area.  Wrong.  Kahului is a commercial/industrial port city handling large trucks of all kinds. Nothing picturesque about it and no narrow streets.  Not really the place for a compact car either.  So much for the travel company knowing the area.  Wonder what else they got wrong?

We're in Maui now and typically just rent direct with the company. Most of the times there are decent deals and as said above, car rentals in Hawaii tend to be very reasonable. I usually try to avoid third party bookings in all travel as much as possible-- you can usually get better rates and things like upgrades by booking direct. In this trip's case we did so direct with Avis and got a Jeep for less than $200 for a week. They have been hurting and a lot of companies are giving some pretty good deals. 

Often times I'm here I will rent for just the day and you can get a very adequate rental (anything from a sedan/convertible/Jeep) from a major company for $25-45 per day doing so direct and with a little advanced planning.