I think I remember having seen comments regarding the ratio between

Economy fare versus Premium Economy.

We are looking for flights for September from Seatac or PDX to either Rome or

Venice. Only one leg is even in Premium Economy; so I am fairly sure we will

not be booking it. This is on Princess EZAir: Economy is running about $800.00

per person and Premium Economy is running about $1600.00-1700.00

Yikes! Virgin Atlantic is not even a possibility... darn

Would you do it?

Maybe. It depends on the airline, partially, and how good their Premium Economy product (both soft and hard products) actually is. Some are better than others. And this is assuming "Premium Economy" is actually that - a better seat and better amenities, not just an extra legroom situation that some people mistakenly called "premium economy". 

The other questions are - (a) would that $800pp create better memories on the ground than it would in the air? (probably, but that's just me) and (b) would your experience upon arrival be diminished because of flying regular economy versus premium economy (that is to say, would you spend 2-3 days recovering upon arrival that you wouldn't should you have chosen the more comfortable premium option)? 

OK, I'm just blabbering on at this point. In my situation, as a healthy, in shape, younger person - it wouldn't be worth it for me, because I would rather build other memories with that $800pp and I know I could recover upon arrival with just a simple nights sleep. Again, that's just me. 

• Like 1

All Premium Economy is not alike so our answer might well depend on the specific equipment and airline.  Personally we generally lay out the bigger bucks for lay flat Business Class on flight over 5 hours long....especially if it is an overnight flight.  

One problem now is that all the airlines have significantly cut just about all the good services/food one used to expect from Business or even PE.  We now hear many say that they no longer think the extra cost for both Business and PE is worth it.  But the reality is that some folks can afford the better seats/service and others find that it does not fit their budget.

Hank

• Like 1

Hi Zach1213-

Thanks so much for your response. My mind was also contemplating,

"What could we do with that $1600.00 (800 per person)?"

actually, quite a bit.

We flew to Rome in October 2018 from Seattle (round trip) and DH was wiped out

and slept a couple of hours when we reached the hotel. My Aunt and I went to the

rooftop terrace and enjoyed our Happy Hour with a fantastic lightning and thunderstorm!

We really were not too tired- a wonderful memory.

Hi Hank

I have been reading about the beverages and meals becoming rare.

That is challenging for us as we fly from Seattle or Portland, OR.

If we lived on the east coast, then it would not be as much of an inconvenience.

Thanks!

15 hours ago, Zach1213 said:

And this is assuming "Premium Economy" is actually that - a better seat and better amenities, not just an extra legroom situation that some people mistakenly called "premium economy". 

This right here^^^^.

Depending on the airline and the specific aircraft, be sure it's true premium economy, and not "economy plus, comfort plus" etc.  Many see the latter and incorrectly categorize it as premium economy when it's not, and because the cruise line air departments often don't have a defined category for the "plus" products even they sometimes lump it in with true premium economy when it's not.  Also, when checking the airline, be sure you are looking at the "operated by" part.  You might have a Delta ticket but a particular segment is "operated by Air France," or a United ticket but one leg is "operated by Lufthansa" for example.  This happens a lot with alliance partners.  You need to look at the "operated by" airline to really determine the type of seat, seat configuration etc.

Beyond that, even within true premium economy there are differences from airline to airline.  Some Air France seats are more of a rotating shell....the entire seat tips back so to speak, as opposed to just the upper part reclining and a footrest extending outward.  Hard to explain the difference in words but the difference in comfort level can be significant.

Another thing to consider is lounge access.  Consider whether premium economy gives you lounge access at the airport, and whether you will need it.  Ex. there have been times we flew to Italy but our transatlantic flight went through Amsterdam, followed by a short hop to Rome or Milan.  But the stay in Amsterdam was 4 or 5 hours.  Lounge access was key in those cases....a quiet place to wait, not crowded, with far more comfortable seating than in the terminal, access to showers so we could completely freshen up after the overnight flight, wifi, food and coffee, etc.   If we had flown directly from, say, JFK to Rome, it might not have mattered as much.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, nini said:

Hi Zach1213-

Thanks so much for your response. My mind was also contemplating,

"What could we do with that $1600.00 (800 per person)?"

actually, quite a bit.

Absolutely. I like to splurge on hotels, for example. For $1600, you can spend 4 nights in a very nice $400/night hotel in even the most expensive cities like London, Tokyo, NYC, etc. and, in my opinion, create a heck of a lot more memories than 10 hours on a plane. 

Along with the question re airline,  I have to ask are you talking a one way flight or return? If it’s return it would be an easy decision for us.  We have paid as low as 1400$ Canadian for real premium economy return.  I think it’s worth up to the price you are speaking if it’s return.  Also check the cruise lines pricing if you haven’t already.  

Before deciding look up the difference in seat pitch on the specific airline and aircraft.   

Compare exactly how much extra room you are getting to the price delta.  Premium economy seating can vary from airline to airline.   We looked up one a few years ago and it turned out to be 3 inches.  We passed on it.  

Don't be swayed by the word premium.   It can be used very loosely, just as the descriptor suite is on some cruise lines.

Edited by iancal

19 hours ago, iancal said:

Before deciding look up the difference in seat pitch on the specific airline and aircraft.   

Compare exactly how much extra room you are getting to the price delta.  Premium economy seating can vary from airline to airline.   We looked up one a few years ago and it turned out to be 3 inches.  We passed on it.  

Don't be swayed by the word premium.   It can be used very loosely, just as the descriptor suite is on some cruise lines.

3"???  That's a situation where I would have to think it was really an economy "plus" product, not true premium economy

3 hours ago, waterbug123 said:

3"???  That's a situation where I would have to think it was really an economy "plus" product, not true premium economy

Cannot remember.  The only thing I do remember is that we were very surprised at the price delta given the slight difference in seat pitch.  It may well have been economy plus.....with the plus emphasis on price rather than seat pitch.  There might even have been an upgraded meal or 'free' bar service.  Cannot remember.  

We do see a difference between airlines on international flights.  We flew to Bangkok five or six years in a row.   Economy.   United/ANA was poor.   Delta was much better.  Our last, on Korean was the best by far.  Better seats, edible food, better airport to change planes, and overall better service.  We did United flat bed to Singapore.  Seating/bed was perfect.  Service/food etc was OK but certainly nothing special. 

We have also had occasion to change our international flight  plans mid trip.  Both had change fees.  Delta was amazing-wonderful service.  United- horrible, the exact opposite.  We would like to give EVA a go next winter and stop over in Taiwan for a few days.

Edited by iancal

4 hours ago, waterbug123 said:

Yes, especially if this was a few years ago as I don't believe Delta had premium economy until their A350s were delivered with it.

We planned on doing a fair amount of travel after we retired.  So far it has averaged 6-7 flight legs per year averaging anywhere from 8-12 hours each per year.  Plus 2-4 four/five hour flights a year.  And a few regional short hops mixed in.

We have always done a fair amount of business and pleasure travel.  What really made the difference to travel after retirement was two things.  The first was loosing 50 lbs and keeping it off.  Made all the difference on longer flights.  The second was moving to carry on only.  The first few times were a challenge, now we would not have it any other way.  Both had made travel much more enjoyable for me/us.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

On 1/13/2021 at 6:39 AM, Zach1213 said:

Absolutely. I like to splurge on hotels, for example. For $1600, you can spend 4 nights in a very nice $400/night hotel in even the most expensive cities like London, Tokyo, NYC, etc. and, in my opinion, create a heck of a lot more memories than 10 hours on a plane. 

I am absolutely on the same page! I still think fondly of our

hotel in Rome! It was not very expensive, not cheap either. But it had

such beautiful atmosphere and location.

On 1/13/2021 at 10:06 AM, bennybear said:

Along with the question re airline,  I have to ask are you talking a one way flight or return? If it’s return it would be an easy decision for us.  We have paid as low as 1400$ Canadian for real premium economy return.  I think it’s worth up to the price you are speaking if it’s return.  Also check the cruise lines pricing if you haven’t already.  

I was thinking of both. Typically, there is one stop which is NOT Premium Economy. We are flying

from the West Coast; Seattle or Portland so one leg is regular coach/ economy and still the fare

is 2X as much.

On 1/13/2021 at 10:15 AM, iancal said:

Yes, thanks to so many on CC, I have learned so much about the different airlines, seats, etc.

And yes, I have been searching through Princess and their EZAir.

5 hours ago, nini said:

I was thinking of both. Typically, there is one stop which is NOT Premium Economy. We are flying

from the West Coast; Seattle or Portland so one leg is regular coach/ economy and still the fare

is 2X as much.

Sometimes  the domestic short hops in North America or Europe  don’t offer true premium economy.   If you are getting true premium economy on the long haul portion return then it’s worth it, IMO.

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

Sometimes  the domestic short hops in North America or Europe  don’t offer true premium economy.   If you are getting true premium economy on the long haul portion return then it’s worth it, IMO.

I tend to agree. But it is costing TWICE the cost of economy. Maybe things will

change in favor of the consumer when we get closer to needing to book.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bennybear said:

I honestly can't think of any airlines that offer true Premium Economy on domestic routes unless you happen to end up on a longhaul widebody that's flying the domestic leg. Heck, in Europe, most airlines don't even have true first class, they have the middle seat blocked out of a regular 3x3 economy setup. Straight trash. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Zach1213 said:

I honestly can't think of any airlines that offer true Premium Economy on domestic routes unless you happen to end up on a longhaul widebody that's flying the domestic leg. Heck, in Europe, most airlines don't even have true first class, they have the middle seat blocked out of a regular 3x3 economy setup. Straight trash. 

Zach1213- You gave me a chuckle ( which is very useful right now).

True, the Premium Economy is actually only valid on the non- domestic flights.

However, I know some airlines like Alaska could at least use their "Premium" or

"Elite" seating when you pay this higher rate.

And I imagine that other airlines like American, Delta also have this type of "plushier"

seats that are not First Class.

43 minutes ago, nini said:

Zach1213- You gave me a chuckle ( which is very useful right now).

True, the Premium Economy is actually only valid on the non- domestic flights.

However, I know some airlines like Alaska could at least use their "Premium" or

"Elite" seating when you pay this higher rate.

And I imagine that other airlines like American, Delta also have this type of "plushier"

seats that are not First Class.

Premium Class on Alaska is essentially just a few extra inches of legroom and a free drink...far from truly premium. It's essentially the same thing as AA Main Cabin Extra and Delta Comfort +. It's nice, but nothing premium like a true, international premium product that usually has wider seats (in addition to more legroom), better meals, and perhaps a couple of other perks. 

• Like 1

We looked long and hard at the various "premium economy" options for our cruise last February.  In particular for the return flight from Dubai.  The three domestic "legacy carriers" all sold "premium economy" that really was not, (1" wider seats, 3" more legroom") but the three foreign carriers we looked at (Emerits, Turkish, and Aeroflot) had 10" more legroom (seat pitch) and 3-4" more width.  We ended up choosing Aeroflot, and found their product OUTSTANDING.  The best I can describe is that their premium economy seats were almost identical to what the airlines USED TO call first class seats. (Pan Am/TWA days) and their service was truly while glove.  (And before someone makes a crack about 40 yr old planes, it was a brand new 777) 

Before you book, go onto one of the "airline seat guru" sites... they list every airline and every flight.....

• Like 1

Also wanted to add (But forgot... getting old is hell) that while an additional 3-4" of seat width does not SOOUND like much, it's HUGE.   And while I like "lie flat" seats as much as the next guy, I'll happily take a seat with 40" seat pitch and a seat that reclines more than 2".  

Agree that a true premium economy is like old school business class.  We’ve flown Alaska a lot as well and the extra few inches of legroom and free drinks doesn’t compare to a true  premium economy.   I wouldn’t pay double for it either.  But it very much depends on the airline.  British Airways has a separate cabin with larger seats with greater recline,  a better menu,  totally a different product.  

Which airline are you looking at?