Survey

LDVinNC

We got an email the other day from AQSC.  It asked us to rank in order, 1,2,3, what we considered most important to sailing again.  The choices were (and I am listing them in the order of OUR preference):  1, all guests and staff must be vaccinated, 2, all must provide proof of covid testing, and 3, special cleaning programs (this last is not exactly what they said, but it was along this line).  There were a few other questions as well.

We are still worried about making final payment in March for our July trip.

• Like 2

I agree with your prioritization.

Relying on proof of testing is problematical.  One has to get tested close to the cruise date so that the test results aren't too old, yet soon enough so the results will be available in time.  A  very narrow window to meet!  And, there's a lot of evidence of false negatives.  And, around here, at any rate, testing sites are hard to come by.

Relying on proof of vaccination is better.  It's not critical exactly when you get the shot(s), months before the cruise or closer.  Around here, vaccines shots are just now becoming available for those over age 70, so I surmise in a few months most folks will have been vaccinated, and it would make sense for cruise lines to mandate this as a prerequisite.  Also, it's not just the cruise industry that will be making this decision, it's the local jurisdictions where all of our shore excursions take place.  I think those jurisdictions would give more credence to vaccinations over testing.

Of course, the "special cleaning" procedures need to be done anyway,     

8 hours ago, LDVinNC said:

Agreed, Dave.  Seems to me if vaccinations are required, that eliminates the rationale for testing.

Can't one still be a carrier (asymptomatic) even if successfully vaccinated? Don't know how this plays out with regard to testing.

Wearing of a mask is still recommended for those who have been vaccinated.

12 hours ago, TinCan782 said:

Can't one still be a carrier (asymptomatic) even if successfully vaccinated? Don't know how this plays out with regard to testing.

One can be a carrier after vaccination, but if everyone on the boat has been vaccinated, they cannot (or at least 94-94%) be infected.

• Like 1

I plan on getting my Covid vax as soon as I can, but as I am only 60 that could be problematic before my next booked cruise. That is also assuming another booked cruise of mine is not cancelled. Once cruising resumes and if a passenger is unable to have been vaccinated through no fault of their own and the booking was made in good faith before the cruise line instituted a total vaccine policy the cruise line might be opening itself up to legal issues.

11 hours ago, Calliope said:

I plan on getting my Covid vax as soon as I can, but as I am only 60 that could be problematic before my next booked cruise. That is also assuming another booked cruise of mine is not cancelled. Once cruising resumes and if a passenger is unable to have been vaccinated through no fault of their own and the booking was made in good faith before the cruise line instituted a total vaccine policy the cruise line might be opening itself up to legal issues.

Maybe, but if it is a privately owned business, they can set their own rules I should think.

My concern is only with AQSC as we will never take an ocean cruise again, due to our ages and health conditions.  We want to stay within the US.

• 1 month later...

Last week we booked the August 1 cruise on the Duchess. Are really hoping that this one will be able to cruise as we have had 8 ocean cruises canceled and are giving up on booking those again until they actually restart cruising. We have had the vaccine, both shots, so are good on that issue. I'm not sure how important the testing will be if everyone is vaccinated, but our package includes a hotel stay the night before and says we will be tested when we check in. Hopefully by the time AQSC requires the vaccine most of the US population will have it available.

• 1 month later...
On 1/14/2021 at 5:55 PM, TinCan782 said:

I saw a new story that said Pfizer vaccine has proved not to have significant risk of asymptomatic carriers in a study of people who were vaccinated with it early. Moderna vaccine showed a 2/3rds drop in asymptomatic carriers after the first dose in early testing.