RCCL Quantum of the seas or HAL Eurodam for Alaska cruise

wareaglefan444

Torn on which ship and itinerary, Quantum seems like a much better ship than Eurodam, but Eurodam goes to glacier bay. I need advice on what to do. Is glacier bay worth going on the smaller ship, or should I go with better ship that doesnt go to glacier bay,  but does go to endicott arm and dawes glacier. Thanks

Without knowing the details of the itinerary for both it would be difficult to say which is better. Many times the Alaska experience is better on smaller ships. Endicott Arm/Dawes Glacier can be very nice but there is no comparison between that and Glacier Bay.  Think of your county fair amusement rides vs Disneyland. Both are fun but Disneyland has a lot more to offer, as does Glacier Bay. If you want the best Alaska experience choose the itinerary & look at the time spent in each port. If you read through posts, most will tell you Alaska has very little to do with the ship. It’s just the mode of transportation to get you to the next port.

1 hour ago, wareaglefan444 said:

Torn on which ship and itinerary, Quantum seems like a much better ship than Eurodam, but Eurodam goes to glacier bay. I need advice on what to do. Is glacier bay worth going on the smaller ship, or should I go with better ship that doesnt go to glacier bay,  but does go to endicott arm and dawes glacier. Thanks

Better? By what definition? I would never want to sail on a ship with almost 5000 people on it, anywhere, so Quantum is far from being the "better" ship, IMHO.

Most of the stops in Alaska are pretty small towns...smaller than the Caribbean ports. Do you realize what one ship with 5K people does to those small towns...keeping in mind other ships are in port in many of the ports at the same time, as well?

Choose the Eurodam.  It’s a nice ship and you’ll have a lot of both outside and inside viewing areas.  HAL will open the bow of the ship for Glacier Bay and have national park rangers come onboard to narrate.  Tracy Arm and Endicott Arm visits are frequently cancelled due to ice in the water and seal pupping season.  

• Like 2

On 1/13/2021 at 8:58 AM, wareaglefan444 said:

Quantum would be the last ship I would sail to Alaska.