Your Cruising Alternative.

What have you done with the money you haven't spent on cruising?

We bought a $2200.00 Treadmill on Boxing Day Special for $1300.00, and are in the process of replacing our old CRT TV and sound system with a new Sony 4K TV, a newer Yamaha AV unit, and a Sony Blu-Ray player.

1 hour ago, windsor26 said:

I bit the bullet and got hearing aids!!!!  then booked 4 local coastal  Australian cruises cheap!!!

Good for you, I've had my hearing aids for roughly 4 months now and realise what I've been missing. Getting them was one of the better things I've done.

Two weeks in a row I forgot about removing my hearing aids before going out on my sailboard. One of them is not working. They are a spare set and luckily, tomorrow, I pick up my regular pair from the audiologist after having them serviced because, again once or twice, I'd forgotten to take them out. Slow learner.

A couple of months back I bought a hydrofoil for my sailboard @ $2000.

Last week I picked up my new, dedicated, foil board @ $4000.

Plus a second hand sail (as there was a gap in my sail quiver) $500

That'll do for a while.

Haven't bought a car for eight years and wont need to for the foreseeable future. I still have $5000 with a TA for a cancelled holiday and was hoping I'd be able to rebook something but that appears unlikely so may have to think about getting a refund.

We had some repairs done around the house in preparation for selling & downsizing, but couldn't find anything suitable so decided to stay put.

We then invested in our home for:

- electrical (new lighting & ceiling fans)

- painting full inside

- new flooring throughout (except bathrooms & laundry)

- new built-in wardrobes

- ordered new lounge (due next month)

It feels like we have a whole new home & Tracey (most importantly) & I are very happy. It feels like we have gone for a holiday in a different place

• Like 1

I bought a car fridge, have worked way too much (on my 2nd double shift in a row now) and have more savings than I have ever had!

The only cruise I have had cancelled so far, I had only paid a $1 deposit on and chose to let it lapse as I could see the writing on the wall (Aria's last cruise to Singapore this April). I have two more booked that I'm not confident in (PNG and the Solomon Islands in August) and Alaska in April 2022.

3 hours ago, Russell21 said:

What have you done with the money you haven't spent on cruising?

We bought a $2200.00 Treadmill on Boxing Day Special for $1300.00, and are in the process of replacing our old CRT TV and sound system with a new Sony 4K TV, a newer Yamaha AV unit, and a Sony Blu-Ray player.

Very similar to you Russell.

Replaced 55 inch  with a a Sony 65 inch 4K and replaced blu ray player as old and was mis reading discs with a Sony One... the AV and speakers are still very good

And all ready have a treadmill.....

Other wise not a lot.... except dinning well at home once a week top notch seafood and tuna with suitable wines..... might continue this.... very enjoyable... as well as wouldn't get the same quality at a restaurant without blowing the budget ..

Cheers Don

Not really like one's been able to go places.....lol

We had our tiled roof repointed and sprayed. Looks brand new! Also had a small deck and ramp built at front door which we are very happy with.  Also we have purchased a new coffee machine, new TV, new music system and other household items. I must say we have done quite a bit of online shopping.

Leigh

Replaced  our 30yo bed, and redecorated the master bedroom, and bought  new furniture for my home office. Did a 3 week road trip inthe south island in May/June and have just returned from an 8 day domestic cruise. Considering more NZ travel in Feb. But I'm kinda desparate to get out of the country, 

Didn't have a cruise planned this year was going to do a land trip in Greece and that money is still in the bank 🤑. There is nothing I need or anything extra from my usual spending that I want apart from some gourmet single origin chocolates I decided to splurge on 😂 and I got a DRM removal software to convert my music files otherwise I am pretty boring. If anything I have been getting rid off stuff. I just did a clean out of old electronics and now have three empty drawers😱

29 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

If anything I have been getting rid off stuff. I just did a clean out of old electronics and now have three empty drawers😱

Ah, don't mention getting rid of stuff. After 26 years we had so much & our boys didn't take a lot when they left home. First pass saw, from the house & garage, maybe 40 bags of rubbish tossed, 10 boxes of toys/games etc donated to charity & perhaps 15 bags into the clothing charity bin.

Then we moved pretty much everything into the garage. For painting walls & ceiling you can shift stuff as you go, but 115sq m of new flooring meant pretty much everything out of the house & into the double garage, which is still about 2/3 full of stuff to be sorted and stuff to returned to the house. Its going to take some time 🙂

At the moment our main pastime is "do you know where the .....is?" 

• Like 1

Driving around NSW in circles, supporting the local economy and spending $$$$$ on motels/hotels, mixed grills, big brekkies, red wine and petroleum. All good. More of the same early tomorrow for 3 nights, out to Temora/Cootamundra and district.

To tell the truth, I don't really miss cruising on the big ships.

Edited by NSWP

10 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Driving around NSW in circles, supporting the local economy and spending $$$$$ on motels/hotels, mixed grills, big brekkies, red wine and petroleum. All good. More of the same early tomorrow for 3 nights, out to Temora/Cootamundra and district.

To tell the truth, I don't really miss cruising on the big ships.

Well, good to hear as we are planning to do similar, even swinging past Batehaven 😮

• Like 1

I just keep saving my dollars for the future and dreaming about when the ships will come back.  Oh and booking a few cruises knowing that they may not happen although being in Vic our season doesn't start till October anyway.  Also hoping that I won't be too old to travel or get insurance when it returns!!

We've bought a new washing machine, and a new gas heater.

We had a week at Tea Gardens late October.

Our SA / Murray River cruise mid-Feb is still up in the air. When I phoned them in December the cruise company extended the final payment date until tomorrow, and today when I contacted them they have extended it again until 1st Feb. We offered to cancel so they could resell the cabin but they weren't keen on that idea. We had planned on going down via Hay but that would mean cutting through Victoria so we might have to go through Broken Hill instead. 

Short 3 day toHervey Bay to whale watch, house painted inside, driveway resurfaced (looks beautiful) booked Tasmania for  Feb, just cancelled same

booked Flight to Broome for Kimberly through to Darwin in July,not holding much hope out for that,

Cheers Carole

8 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

Other wise not a lot.... except dinning well at home once a week top notch seafood and tuna with suitable wines..... might continue this.... very enjoyable... as well as wouldn't get the same quality at a restaurant without blowing the budget ..

Like your style

Cheers Carole

13 hours ago, Elorac123 said:

Like your style

Cheers Carole

Thanks Carole.....

It started as don't go out for dinner a lot at home, ( mainly go out for dinner on holiday or cruising every meal is going out lol )

then lockout, no holidays.... started with a bit of splurge dinner.

for starters Tassie Oysters and Nth Qld Prawns with a nice Clare Valley riesling, followed with top notch Tuna with a rather nice Sparkling shiraz from the bottom end of Barossa Valley..

Followed with a small amount of brie and biscuits

The stage was set..... and both agreed a rather good dinner... complete with candle....

So thus we continued....   Cheers Don

• Haha 1

We bought a motorhome (http://www.australianmotorhomes.com.au/new-motorhomes/avida-motorhome-b7634-eyre) in October and are planning on land cruising firstly around our own State for 2021 and then, hopefully, doing The Big Lap for 2022-2023.  So far we've had a couple of trips away and we're off again at the end of the month. 

Never even been camping or owned a caravan, who'd of thought we'd love the lifestyle!?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bubbeh said:

We bought a motorhome (http://www.australianmotorhomes.com.au/new-motorhomes/avida-motorhome-b7634-eyre) in October and are planning on land cruising firstly around our own State for 2021 and then, hopefully, doing The Big Lap for 2022-2023.  So far we've had a couple of trips away and we're off again at the end of the month. 

Never even been camping or owned a caravan, who'd of thought we'd love the lifestyle!?

Sounds wonderful.   Have cruising friends who  bought themselves a caravan recently.  I hear sales are booming right now.