2021 Schedule

crispy46

The point is that if everyone one the ship has been vaccinated, then the prospect of a widespread outbreak onboard the ship is eliminated. The fact that one or two become sick will be no big deal. They will be quarantined, and off-loaded at the first port that will accept them. And life goes on.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, wcsdkqh said:

The point is that if everyone one the ship has been vaccinated, then the prospect of a widespread outbreak onboard the ship is eliminated. The fact that one or two become sick will be no big deal. They will be quarantined, and off-loaded at the first port that will accept them. And life goes on.

I think the key to your statement is "first port that will accept them".  Cruising to visit far off places I don't see happening for a while.  Cruises to nowhere and stops to prime first world locations that have a high vaccination level,  will be how cruising will reopen.    It's not just about the passengers on board having an outbreak, but the ports visited having an outbreak after the tourists leave.    I've been cruising for over 35 years and am very excited to book a cruise and get back on board.  Until Regent or Seabourn has at least two sailings under their belts, i'm going to be sitting on the sidelines eager to book another sailing.  

22 hours ago, Boats07 said:

We have a cruise booked for April 8th in the Med aboard the Splendor.  Called our TA to just check if we could have the two category upgrade.  Regent told our TA the cruise is Sold Out....... We can only hope, if it doesn't go, it will be our third canceled cruise.  We will then keep looking and book something else.

Well that was wishful thinking on our part...... We are now 3 for 3 on cancelled cruises......

1 hour ago, Guerncruising said:

As far as I am aware no vaccine is 100% effective and therefore I fear that what you say is wishful thinking. Also are you assuming that no one gets off the ship and that everyone ashore will be vaccinated?

It took many years for smallpox to be eradicated and flu has never been eradicated. I fear that it may be some time before things get back to pre Covid times. 

However, we can all live in hope!

My point is that all the plans were for if there were no vaccines. No vaccine is 100% effective true. The vaccines are 95% effective. So the chance that one of the fully vaccinated persons on board gets it and then passes it to another fully vaccinated person on board is very minute. We are not talking world wide. We’re talking the ship. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Got2Cruise said:

My point is that all the plans were for if there were no vaccines. No vaccine is 100% effective true. The vaccines are 95% effective. So the chance that one of the fully vaccinated persons on board gets it and then passes it to another fully vaccinated person on board is very minute. We are not talking world wide. We’re talking the ship. 

Correct - and it doesn't matter where the ship goes or who the people come into contact with - they still have an estimated 95% on-board immunity. Regent is well aware that most people will not return to the ships unless everyone has had the vaccine and there are limited protocols (as opposed to very strict protocols needed with no vaccines). In theory, being on board with 100% people vaccinated is probably much safer than being almost anywhere else.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Got2Cruise said:

So you have no intention of getting off the ship? Then why pay full price for a cruise? Sorry but I am not delusional about this (and I am sure that you aren’t), however I am realistic. So sorry, but that’s my life experience. 

• Like 1

On 1/19/2021 at 5:52 PM, Pcardad said:

That's not what they said. Covid on shore is not relevant to a ship with 95% immunity on board. If you have immunity, you have it. It doesn't matter what % of the local population has it.

Well, ... if the ship has 95% of its passengers and crew protected (and we don't know which 5% is not, do we?), then getting off the ship for excursions is more likely to result in bringing the virus back to the ship and ending with someone infected.  This goes double if it's true that fully-vaccinated, protected people can still carry the virus around and pass it on to others.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer
  • Like 1

Logic is correct but numbers MAY be a bit off.  Unless required, some cruisers will likely be getting vaccines other than Moderna or Pfizer which may have good but significantly lower efficacy thus increasing the number at risk.  Additionally, in preliminary analysis the efficacy of at least one of the mRNA vaccines may be somewhat lower (mid to high eighties percent) for the 65+ year old cohort which represents the bulk of Regent cruisers.  And the stated efficacy for at least one of the vaccines is based on a trial which appeared designed around lower to moderate exposure risk individuals, not maskless individuals in close proximity or with high risk frequent exposures.  And remember, the “immunity” conferred (in at least one of the mRNA trials) did not mean the study subjects were not infected or were not capable of transmitting the infection - just that they were totally asymptomatic (still a very, very good thing).  On the other hand, those that did exhibit symptoms had significantly less severe symptoms than average.  And now that comparatively huge numbers of people are getting vaccinated many of the numbers may firm up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Since experts believe that the COVID-19 vaccines may also help keep you from getting seriously ill even if you do get infected, it is to be hoped that the disease will eventually be dealt with as any other similar illness.

However, I am sure that this will take some time to become the norm.

In the early months of increased leisure travel and cruise resumption there is bound to be a lot of nervousness; no doubt this will be fuelled by melodramatic press reports regarding any covid outbreaks which do occur.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, flossie009 said:

In the early months of increased leisure travel and cruise resumption there is bound to be a lot of nervousness; no doubt this will be fueled by melodramatic press reports regarding any covid outbreaks which do occur.

Flossie - I think you hit the nail on the head!  Listening to some of the "Doom and Gloomer"s", it would seem that there are some who will never be willing to cruise again, as long as there's even so much as a "finger-tip's chance" of becoming "infected" (whatever that may mean...from "sniffles to death")!  I actually "worry" more about Noro-Virus on a ship!

For those, whose risk tolerance is low, they should probably not even consider cruising ever again, as there's also a risk of a "fatal road accident" in their car, on their trip from home to the airport!  Or perhaps, even stumbling and falling overboard on their first day at sea!

Cruising, like most other recreational activities in life, is a choice and not an obligation.  For those who feel it is simply "too risky" to "chance it".....Then, they shouldn't!  It's as simple as that. However, I'm willing to bet that Regent will have absolutely no problem in quickly "filling up their ships", when the "go-ahead whistle is finally "blown"; and DW and I will be "among the eager"!  Our vaccine appointments are scheduled for Feb 1 - Can't wait!  Regards.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

On 1/19/2021 at 4:52 PM, Pcardad said:

That's not what they said. Covid on shore is not relevant to a ship with 95% immunity on board. If you have immunity, you have it. It doesn't matter what % of the local population has it.

I think that many people don’t understand what the vaccine will and won’t do. The vaccine is meant to limit the severity of COVID not eliminate the possibility of getting COVID. The vaccine “trains” your body to recognize the virus and then send your immune system to battle it. The jury is still out as to whether a vaccinated person can still transmit the virus to other people. The bottom line is only time will tell as to what the impact of the vaccine will have and how long it will last. It will take several months to get people vaccinated, at least the one’s who want it and to determine what the outcome will be. The other wild card is whether the mutating virus will circumvent what the vaccine is defending it.

Taking Covid down the the level of the flu is a win....and requiring all passengers and crew to get the vaccination will minimize the impact. Expect most places to require the vaccine going forward. The ones who don't want it will be living interesting lives and probably won't be flying, cruising or going out in public.

On 1/19/2021 at 12:45 PM, Guerncruising said:

So you have no intention of getting off the ship? Then why pay full price for a cruise? Sorry but I am not delusional about this (and I am sure that you aren’t), however I am realistic. So sorry, but that’s my life experience. 

I think the point about having everyone on the ship vaccinated is that it should allow more relaxed infection control measures while onboard the ship.  While ashore, the passengers would obviously need to comply with whatever the local regulations are, so masks and other measures might still be necessary in some ports.  This would still impact the overall experience, but much less than having to wear masks while on board.

• Like 1

@SusieQft I think that I am a little over cautious. Because we have been more or less Covid free since the end of April we have enjoyed the freedoms that many haven’t. However, as of yesterday, we now have 4 new cases apparently from nowhere. The island is now in lockdown until things are under control again. So 10 cases in a population of say 62 thousand as of yesterday. 

We now have to look forward to those freedoms again and, more importantly, the freedom to cruise. 

Just saw a press release stating that the CDC will now be requiring a negative covid test result within 3 days of returning to U.S. from international destinations. This will definitely put a crimp in many a vacation.  Currently scheduled in Reykjavik-Copenhagen in June '21 (very doubtful it will go) - not to mention the on-going "ban" on U.S. citizens in many countries. Let's hope the on-going vaccination effort gets us pass this.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Guerncruising said:

@SusieQft

Well 24 hours later and we now have a further 20 cases. It’s the speed at which this has happened, when you relax it comes back to bite you on the bxm. 

I just hope that our health people manage to rein it all back in and carry on with the vaccine. 

You lockdown is very strict; I found this to be interesting:

• Restaurants and non-essential retail are closed even for deliveries or takeaways

I guess everyone has to go to a grocery and cook their own food.

Good luck

44 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

You lockdown is very strict; I found this to be interesting:

• Restaurants and non-essential retail are closed even for deliveries or takeaways

I guess everyone has to go to a grocery and cook their own food.

Good luck

The trouble is being a small island hospital facilities are small (but very efficient). Thankfully the majority of our community follow the guidance and indeed penalties are severe e.g. £10000 fine or breaking self isolation rules (and this has been applied on several occasions). 

Lockdown may be severe to outsiders but hopefully it will work. 

Read “The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society” to understand the deprivation islanders had to put up with in WW2. We are still getting food deliveries today thankfully. 

Anyway looking to cruising soon. 🤞

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Guerncruising said:

The trouble is being a small island hospital facilities are small (but very efficient). Thankfully the majority of our community follow the guidance and indeed penalties are severe e.g. £10000 fine or breaking self isolation rules (and this has been applied on several occasions). 

Lockdown may be severe to outsiders but hopefully it will work. 

Read “The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society” to understand the deprivation islanders had to put up with in WW2. We are still getting food deliveries today thankfully. 

Anyway looking to cruising soon. 🤞

So sorry to hear about your new cases, really thought that Guernsey had cracked it. Did they find the source case yet?

Here in Kent we have managed to somehow get a mutated strain named after the County!

Stay safe.

• Like 1