Hurtigruten, Antarctica, and the Polar Code

Calnev1

I am looking at Antarctica cruises in February and March 2022.  Three Hurtigruten  ships ( the Fram, the Roald Amundsen, and the Fridtjof Nansen) are currently scheduled to sail to Antarctica during these two months.   Recently, it came to my attention that, beginning on January 1, 2022, ships that do not meet the “Polar Code” will not be allowed to sail south of 60 degrees latitude, which means they can't sail in Antarctica waters.   I also understand that none of these three Hurtigruten ships (Fram, Roald Amundsen, and Fridtjof Nansen) meet the requirements of the Polar Code.

What am I missing, or misunderstanding, here?  I don’t want to book these cruises if there is a possibility they will be cancelled.

Thanks!

5 hours ago, Calnev1 said:

I am looking at Antarctica cruises in February and March 2022.  Three Hurtigruten  ships ( the Fram, the Roald Amundsen, and the Fridtjof Nansen) are currently scheduled to sail to Antarctica during these two months.   Recently, it came to my attention that, beginning on January 1, 2022, ships that do not meet the “Polar Code” will not be allowed to sail south of 60 degrees latitude, which means they can't sail in Antarctica waters.   I also understand that none of these three Hurtigruten ships (Fram, Roald Amundsen, and Fridtjof Nansen) meet the requirements of the Polar Code.

What am I missing, or misunderstanding, here?  I don’t want to book these cruises if there is a possibility they will be cancelled.

Thanks!

You might check:

https://navsregs.wordpress.com/2018/09/26/what-is-the-polar-code/

ICE Class or Polar Class is not unambiguous and depends on how and where the ship are classified 

Ice class / Polar Class refers to a notation assigned by a classification society or a national authority to denote the additional level of strengthening as well as other arrangements that enable a ship to navigate through sea ice -  there is a difference between the classification of an icebreaker and an expedition ship.

The classification determines at what times of the year and in how thick ice the ships can sail.

Examples of classification societies: Bureau Veritas, Det Norske Veritas, Lloyd’s Register of Shipping and others.

Hurtigruten ships sailing in Antartica or the Arctic are all classified to sail in these waters but under different conditions depending on which class they are certified in - for example, MS Roald Amundsen and MS Fridtjof Nansen are Polar Class - PC 6 - Summer / autumn operation  in medium first-year ice, which may include old ice inclusions.

This is the Hurtigruten ships where I could find an Ice Class classification 

MS Roald Amundsen - Ice Class PC-6
 MS Fridtjof Nansen - Ice Class PC-6

MS Fram - Ice Class 1B
 MS Spitsbergen - Ice Class 1C

• Thanks 1

In addition the following are definitely Ice-categorised:

MS Midnatsol (soon to be MS Maud) 1C (As Trollfjord is structurally identical should also be)

MS Nordnorge 1C

MS Nordstjernen 1C

It is also my understanding that all Hurtigruten Ships on Coastal Route are also classified as 1C, including Lofoten which has just ben withdrawn.

• Thanks 1

On 1/16/2021 at 5:12 AM, jonikal said:

Thanks for the replies.   As the link provided by Jonikal indicates, the Polar Code is a complex set of safety and environmental requirements that apply (or will apply) to certain ships operating in polar waters.    But the link does not address my specific questions about whether the three Hurtigruten ships do now, or will in the future, meet the Code.    The comments of Hallasm and Richsw only go to the icebreaker classification of the Hurtigruten ships, and not to the much broader requirements of the Polar Code.

At this point I am not sure what to do.  I guess I can contact Hurtigruten directly.

• 5 weeks later...

I messaged the Seattle office this week and asked about the Polar Code 2022 and compliance. The response was "Yes, we will make sure to be in compliance with the IMO/Polar Code".  

Not sure if that is an official answer, or just office staff with a kind reply - but sharing never the less.