Are Cruise Next Certificates Expiration Dates Being Extended?

vpearlkc

With our April 23 cruise  in the process of being of being canceled and no idea when cruising will resume are the 2 cruise certificates that will be returned to our account be good for a longer period of time than the original expiration date? I am sure others on this board have been in this situation. 

• Like 1

I've been told that they will extend it one time and one time only, which they did for me already.  But with waves and waves of cancellations, I think they have to ease up on that position.  As someone said, it encourages someone to use the cruise next, plus drop an addition boatload of cash.

It's a big win for NCL, imo, for a relatively small discount.

Edited by mpk
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, bones774 said:

Really not much of an extension, pressures you to sign up for another cruise. All CN should be automatically extended for the time period that cruising was shutdown. I can't see them not doing that.

Absolutely right.  I felt pressured into booking an April 2022 cruise and now am not sure it is the right one for us.  I hope I will have until June to decide .

i have 2 cn that was due to expire sometime in April 2022 i think. I used one to book for a October 2021 cruise and then they had to extend the other certificate for me to book a October 2022 cruise

If the October 2021 cruise is canceled, the CN will be returned back to my account and i guess to have book a cruise before the expiration date and then ask for an extension to book a future cruise

When i booked the October 2022 the travel agent i have told me that since that CN was given a extension, if the cruise is canceled for whatever reason then i will lose the CN and nothing will be returned to my account. that cn is now useless.

With cruising still shutdown almost a year now and there is still a lot of uncertainty with the future in 2022/2023 and beyond, i wish NCL will get rid of these stupid expiration dates and allow them to be used up. I know cruising should return in the future and i have no problems doing a cruise now. my biggest fear is booking a 2022/2023 cruise only for it to be canceled due to fleet redeployment or some schedule change that does work with my schedule

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CarolinaMamma said:

This whole situation makes me very hesitant to buy CN certificates in the future. 

The onboard CN desk is gonna be a lonely place if they screw all their best customers by letting CN expire.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, bones774 said:

The onboard CN desk is gonna be a lonely place if they screw all their best customers by letting CN expire.

No, they'll just call your room to sell you them like in the past.  Nothing classier than going on vacation and getting sales calls.  Your do not call list doesn't work on NCL ships.

1 hour ago, dexddd said:

No, they'll just call your room to sell you them like in the past.  Nothing classier than going on vacation and getting sales calls.  Your do not call list doesn't work on NCL ships.

that explains the annoying blinking voicemail light on the room phone

Edited by shof515
  • Like 1

We had our February 2021 cruise canceled so re-booked for February 2022 using two cruise next certificates.  Should we have been able to use the 10% off as well?  I booked through a TA and didn't think about that.  What has your experience been?  Will NCL only allow one or the other and not both (CN certs vs 10% off)?

We are in Spain, we have a certificate bought in 2017 that expires this april.

They cancelled our reservation last october and returned the certificate to the account, but they refuse to extend its validity, so we will lose 150$(real cost when bought onboard) this april without any option.

I don't know it this is a local office policy or a global one, but I feel cheated. I understand I had 4 years to use the certificate, but I feel at least they should extend for as long as the global stop lasts.

So, at least if you are in Europe, be careful when buying a certificate.

8 hours ago, 1stTIMECRUZER said:

We had our February 2021 cruise canceled so re-booked for February 2022 using two cruise next certificates.  Should we have been able to use the 10% off as well?  I booked through a TA and didn't think about that.  What has your experience been?  Will NCL only allow one or the other and not both (CN certs vs 10% off)?

You should have been able to use the 10% off and both CN certificates, I have been able to on my bookings

1 hour ago, elbarney said:

They cancelled our reservation last october and returned the certificate to the account, but they refuse to extend its validity, so we will lose 150$(real cost when bought onboard) this april without any option.

I don't know it this is a local office policy or a global one, but I feel cheated. I understand I had 4 years to use the certificate, but I feel at least they should extend for as long as the global stop lasts.

If you want to book to sail before April 2022 all you have to do is call NCL and ask them to do a one time only extension for a year and book a cruise there and then that sails before the new expiry

Of course if that cruise gets cancelled or you cancel it  after April 2021 you will lose it because it would revert back to the original expiry date

9 hours ago, 1stTIMECRUZER said:

Yes, you can stack as many as you have.

I book a future cruise departing Nov 2021 and I apply all coupons I have (except one for some reason) on this booking. Coupons include

1. FCC in fixed amount;

2. 10% discount received from one previous cruise;

3. 25% discount received from another previous cruise; and

4. CNCs expiring Feb 2021 , but I got approval for extension (before its expiry) till the last day of the Nov 2021 cruise;

FCCs and discount coupons are applied for the cruise fare, and CNCs are for the payment, including deposit. 

2 hours ago, elbarney said:

In principle, all the FCCs or CNCs being applied to a cancelled cruise are reinstated back to your account with the original validity terms and dates.

As your CNCs (150$) are to be expired (i.e. use by and sail by) in April 2021, you are able to use it again before it vanishes. In order not to lose the CNCs, you can try to make a cruise booking before April 2021 (i.e. before the expiry of your CNCs), using the website's courtesy hold function  (i.e. without making deposit) or call direct to NCL to make the book with a holding period (i.e. without making deposit) and ask the NCL agent to extend the CNC for you. Preferably, you should book a future cruise in 2022 or beyond to ensure that the future cruise booking won't be cancelled (by NCL again). If NCL denies to extend the CNCs for you and apply on the future cruise booking, then the situation speaks for itself.

1 hour ago, Serengeti228 said:

In principle, all the FCCs or CNCs being applied to a cancelled cruise are reinstated back to your account with the original validity terms and dates.

As your CNCs (150$) are to be expired (i.e. use by and sail by) in April 2021, you are able to use it again before it vanishes. In order not to lose the CNCs, you can try to make a cruise booking before April 2021 (i.e. before the expiry of your CNCs), using the website's courtesy hold function  (i.e. without making deposit) or call direct to NCL to make the book with a holding period (i.e. without making deposit) and ask the NCL agent to extend the CNC for you. Preferably, you should book a future cruise in 2022 or beyond to ensure that the future cruise booking won't be cancelled (by NCL again). If NCL denies to extend the CNCs for you and apply on the future cruise booking, then the situation speaks for itself.

Thanks for the info.

Other companies, unable to provide the services, are proactively extending the validity dates.

At this point, if my only option is to hold, call on the phone and pray it doesn't get cancelled, and if it gets cancelled I might or might not get a CNC back, I feel is not worth it.

I will take the loss and vote with my money, as I think this is not a good way of making bussiness. 

But still I don't undertand the reasoning, as they will be winning short term the coupon value and losing a client.... I thought the purpose of the CNC is just to keep you as a client....

11 hours ago, 1stTIMECRUZER said:

We booked a TA on the DAWN for April 2022 using both the 10% off and cruise next certificates.

2 hours ago, elbarney said:

Thanks for the info.

Other companies, unable to provide the services, are proactively extending the validity dates.

At this point, if my only option is to hold, call on the phone and pray it doesn't get cancelled, and if it gets cancelled I might or might not get a CNC back, I feel is not worth it.

I will take the loss and vote with my money, as I think this is not a good way of making bussiness. 

But still I don't undertand the reasoning, as they will be winning short term the coupon value and losing a client.... I thought the purpose of the CNC is just to keep you as a client....

Hi,

we live in Germany but I always book my cruises online using a Travelagent in the US.

I have a CNC left that expires July 31th 2021. We are looking at a Transsuez cruise on the Jade in November 2021.

I emailed Cruisenext department in Miami and asked for an extension to June 2022 and got the following answer:

'Thank you for contacting us in CruiseNext. As you are aware; per Terms and Conditions of the CruiseNext program, you must book and sail within 4 years of the date the deposits were purchased, otherwise the CruiseNext Deposits (CND) become null and void after expiration.

We are not just making extensions. However, with the current global pandemic, we understand your concerns and we will be glad to allow a one-time courtesy extension for a qualifying sailing with a reservation number.  We are unable to offer an extension without a booking to which the deposit may be applied, which is in accordance with the directives provided by our management team and corporate offices. 

Please place a Reservation on hold by the expiration date of 07/30/2021 and advise your booking agent (whether you book thru a TA or directly with NCL) that you have a CND that needs to be extended. We will extend the CruiseNext Deposit to encompass the sail dates of the new Reservation. We ask that you attempt to complete your sailing within approximately 18 months of the original expiration date.

If the reservation is cancelled, it will revert to the original expiration date and could be lost if after the original expiration date.

Also, as per Terms and Conditions; please keep in mind that CruiseNext Deposits are fully transferable to any other person at no cost, if you feel you cannot travel within the dates of Terms and Conditions.'

I hope these informations are helpful. 

We will book our cuise before end of July so we can use our CNC.

7 hours ago, Serengeti228 said:

Yes, you can stack as many as you have.

I book a future cruise departing Nov 2021 and I apply all coupons I have (except one for some reason) on this booking. Coupons include

1. FCC in fixed amount;

2. 10% discount received from one previous cruise;

3. 25% discount received from another previous cruise; and

4. CNCs expiring Feb 2021 , but I got approval for extension (before its expiry) till the last day of the Nov 2021 cruise;

FCCs and discount coupons are applied for the cruise fare, and CNCs are for the payment, including deposit. 

Thank you so much!

There should be some legal theory to help us. The CN are valid for 4 years from date of sale but out of that 4 years there is a time period, Unknown at this time how long, where they were unusable. It seems like a suit will be inevitable, if NCL lasts that long. Things are not looking better for cruise industry.

• Like 1