Covid-19 vaccinations

bbwex

5 hours ago, ORV said:

I heard there are some seniors balking at getting the second shot because they’ve heard that the side effects are worse with the second shot

That's so unfortunate isn't it? The risks of COVID are so much worse than the potential side effects of the vaccine.

After getting the varicella vaccine I ran a fever of 103* and was really sick. Because shingles is no walk in the park, got the second vaccination right on time and it was fine.

• Like 1

I live in New York and felt like I won the lottery when I was able to secure a spot through the local health department (online registration). First dose was last Wednesday- and despite having a concerning medical history, I had absolutely no side effects. Win! Interestingly, they had us sign up for our second shot appointment right then, so that we were already counted in terms of allotted shots. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

Its why cargo from Asia has to sail past Hawaii then offload in California  to  either Matson or Horizon ( which is cars mainly) lines  the only 2 allowed US to Hawaii ....  (  Matson is  the Hawaiian word for "Monopoly" )     NCL is exempt  after a  special deal....

What about Pasha Hawaii?  They seem to do well.  Also, "US to Hawaii"?  Makes us sound like a foreign country - but on second thought we realize you may view Hawaii that way.  

17 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

They just said that the goal is, in UK to get it done by end of september... heard on BBC

Yup...... my county Riverside is out of supply   and just says call back later if you can...  no date even or coordination,   Thats my real problem....   I agree not only CF  but FUBAR

Get everyone vaccinated by the end of September, but we are due our first in the first week of February the second to be given before 19 days later. There's no chance of meeting this target. . Hoping that the first vaccination doesn't go 'stale' before we get the second. Maybe I'm being too pessimistic! 

23 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

What they should really do is turn this over to the supermarkets that have pharmacies, CVS, Walgreens and Walmart.  They have the distribution network and the motive to get people inoculated and get a reward payment.

Florida Governor just announced that they now have 181 supermarket pharmacies (Publix) in 15 counties distributing the vaccine with more to come.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

Florida Governor just announced that they now have 181 supermarket pharmacies (Publix) in 15 counties distributing the vaccine with more to come.

That is good, but the issue is getting the vaccine to the states.

I see that Governor Cuomo asked Pfizer to sell the vaccine directly to the State.  That is not going to happen as the sale agreements were locked to the federal government first (despite what he says).  People including politicians 🙂 do not understand that this is not a faucet where you turn it on and vaccine comes out.  The manufacturers at least started production before approvals were made.  What is needed is more supply from additional sources like J&J but that will take another month. 

4 minutes ago, PaulMCO said:

I see that Governor Cuomo asked Pfizer to sell the vaccine directly to the State.  That is not going to happen as the sale agreements were locked to the federal government first (despite what he says).  People including politicians 🙂 do not understand that this is not a faucet where you turn it on and vaccine comes out.  The manufacturers at least started production before approvals were made.  What is needed is more supply from additional sources like J&J but that will take another month. 

J&J could be a game changer. It’s a true vaccine that prevents the disease, not nRNA that only lessens the symptoms. Only requires regular refrigeration and 1 shot instead of two. 

The infamous WHO is ramping up the battle now. They want the “ rich” nations that that prepaid for the vaccine to share their allocations of the vaccines with the poor countries thus delaying vaccinations here. Biden wants to rejoin WHO! 😢

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

The infamous WHO is ramping up the battle now. They want the “ rich” nations that that prepaid for the vaccine to share their allocations of the vaccines with the poor countries thus delaying vaccinations here.

Would you please provide link to said "WHO ordered US to defer vaccine to poor countries"?

41 minutes ago, PaulMCO said:

Might be a little hard for J&J as they are still in the Phase III trials.  They can start production sometime during the Phase III trial when they feel confident their vaccine will be effective and safe.  J&J uses the viral vector method of vaccine similiar to AstraZeneca/Oxford vaccine.  The latter is rated at 70% efficacy, but certain dosages got it as high as 90%.  This is one of the current methods used for creating a vaccine.  If their efficacy goes past 80% with less side effects, it may end up being the most desired vaccine especially if it comes out as an one-dosage vaccine.  Let's see how it plays out.  Cross your fingers.

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:
J&J could be a game changer. It’s a true vaccine that prevents the disease, not nRNA that only lessens the symptoms

I've been unable to find anything that supports that statement. Can you provide documentation? I know the J&J vaccine is not mRNA based so that's not what I'm questioning. 

Note: I have no idea how the "PaulMCO said" got into the quote. My question is really directed to pinotlover .

Edited by njhorseman

1 minute ago, njhorseman said:

I've been unable to find anything that supports that statement. Can you provide documentation? I know the J&J vaccine is not mRNA based so that's not what I'm questioning. 

I did not say this..

1 minute ago, njhorseman said:

Ditto, J&J might be a game changer primarily because it is reported to be an one-dose vaccine.  The other characteristic is it is a viral vector vaccine - a traditional method of developing a vaccine.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

I know. Something got screwed up in my post. I edited it to say that I don't know how that happened.

Yes it happens...

4 minutes ago, deadzone1003 said:

Ditto, J&J might be a game changer primarily because it is reported to be an one-dose vaccine.  The other characteristic is it is a viral vector vaccine - a traditional method of developing a vaccine.

Plus the storage issue of both Pfizer and Moderna.

On 1/17/2021 at 10:56 AM, Hawaiidan said:

Not in So Calif...... told to wait months to try...  any source.      And to get an appointment you have to be very computer savvy... have special skill and gizmos  or  your denied....  This is criminal    My best hope is to get arrested as they are giving priority to prisoners and homeless...   Living in California is very not good

Dan ,we are going to Vegas to visit our kids and got an appointment there on February 5th..still cant get any kind of appointment here in Ventura County, CA..

Bad..news for us seniors

Jancruz1

Aren't most of the problems caused by a combination of a little mismanagement plus a learning curve for a new distribution process?  The Federal government inserting itself at this date would give me a feeling I will be seeing a "Groundhog Day" scenario where mismanagement plus a learning curve for a new distribution process will just be repeating itself.  The only time I could see the Federal Government inserting itself is the vast majority of states have reached, for example, a 40% vaccination rate for their population and a state who is still under 20%.  You have to also consider the urban/rural factor.  Trying to vaccinate everyone in Alaska at an acceptable rate during the middle of winter is just not going to happen.  Maybe the states with highest vaccination rates should be listing their procedures at one website in order that ordinary citizens could compare how other states are doing it.  If the Federal Government gets involve, we may only get a 1 size fits all approach.  Of course, a state can always ask the Federal Govt. to step in.  I just can't see the Federal Government actually speeding up the vaccination rate.

Received first round of Moderna last week.  Zero complications, except for a little  soreness at the injection site that last  24 hrs.  Second round, first week in Feb.  Advice: get the shot, the anxiety relief is felt almost immediately.

• Like 2

On 1/18/2021 at 11:53 AM, ORV said:

This is interesting, but it doesn't surprise me. 

https://www.wfla.com/community/health/coronavirus/more-than-40000-in-florida-overdue-for-2nd-dose-of-coronavirus-vaccine/

More than 40,000 people in Florida are overdue to receive their second dose of the coronavirus vaccine

“I heard there are some seniors balking at getting the second shot because they’ve heard that the side effects are worse with the second shot,” Seminole County EMS Medical Director Todd Husty said.

Florida is doing a pretty good job. We got  our first shots a few days ago and have cards to go back in 3 weeks.  Publix supermarkets will start Thursday with about 50 or 60 stores in Palm Beach County.  Takes a little work but you can get it if you try hard. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Jancruz said:

Dan ,we are going to Vegas to visit our kids and got an appointment there on February 5th..still cant get any kind of appointment here in Ventura County, CA..

Bad..news for us seniors

Jancruz1

Jan, I am disapointed in your decision.... thought your better than that.  

2 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

Dan, this is the second or third time they've done this And a number of members of the family got COVID. 

14 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

Better than what?  We all do what we have to do to protect ourselves and our family's healthy.   You are doing the right thing and don't let anyone tell you different !!!!

8 minutes ago, RJB said:

Better than what?  We all do what we have to do to protect ourselves and our family's healthy.   You are doing the right thing and don't let anyone tell you different !!!!

So you have  no problem  about not isolating to your home, limiting travel ?.... Nor me and ALL my California friends flying to Florida to take from your allotted vaccine?. 

Looking out for #1 no matter what or who gets in your way.....  First Hog to the trough as it were....   We all are in a world of hurt, but many of us are going to wait our turn... not trample the rights of others.            So Better than that... Ok

• Like 1