Luminae or Steakhouse

W283386

In my view, no.  On my last Equinox cruise, my tablemates came back after spending $100 to dine in Murano to celebrate their anniversary and pronounced it a waste of money.  Not that it was bad, but it wasn't any better than the excellent food and service they were already getting in Luminae as part of the fare they had already paid.  When I cruise in a suite, I skip the specialty restaurants.  I mostly skip them even if not cruising in a suite.  Used to like going to Qsine with friends, but that is no more.  Le Petit Chef holds no attraction for me.  As I said, Murano is great.  Been there, done that.  Don't need to do it again when I have wonderful food and service in Luminae.

Edited by Happy Cruiser 6143
  • Like 6

We will generally book 2 or 3 specialty restaurants on our cruises...usually 11 to 14 days. 

Luminae has never disappointed, and since Silk Harvest and Qsine have changed to Le Petite Chef, the tendency to stay in Luminae has increased.  however, we have an Apex trip planned in 2022 and we will certainly sample other venues.

18 minutes ago, W283386 said:

Booked cruise for April 2022 and first time in a suite.  Does it make any sense booking a specialty restaurant when we have access to Luminae and possibly Blu? 

Luminae is really wonderful, design, food, superb service, presentation etc.  Raw on 5 is nice, though would not go back, Eden we think is really the one restaurant we will pay the upcharge for.  It is complimentary for breakfast and lunch, for dinner if I recall a $60 pp. upcharge, we thought very well worth it.

34 minutes ago, W283386 said:

Booked cruise for April 2022 and first time in a suite.  Does it make any sense booking a specialty restaurant when we have access to Luminae and possibly Blu? 

It would help if you would let us know which ship you will be on since the available specialty restaurants can be considerably different depending on the ship.

34 minutes ago, ScubesDad said:

We will generally book 2 or 3 specialty restaurants on our cruises...usually 11 to 14 days. 

Luminae has never disappointed, and since Silk Harvest and Qsine have changed to Le Petite Chef, the tendency to stay in Luminae has increased.  however, we have an Apex trip planned in 2022 and we will certainly sample other venues.

Just clarify, when you say steakhouse, I presumed you meant Fine Cut on the Edge Class rather than Tuscan Grill.  if you were referencing Tuscan, then I would stay in Luminae.  I have not dined in Fine Cut, however, I have read great reviews.

Tuscan Grill isn’t worth it. Murano once for the Dover sole. We like the Lawn Grill once for the dining outdoors ( great salads and rib lamb chops). In Luminae the food can be a little wacky but you can always order off the main dining menu. And the cuts of beef are pretty good.

• Like 1

While I love Luminae we normally do one or two specialty, we will look at menu in suite lounge then decide where to eat, love the appetizers in Tuscan grill, last year we were in a royal suite so we could go to any specialty at no cost and we still had most dinners at Luminae. By far Luminae has the best service. You will love Luminae and suite lounge.

The ship matters. M class only Tuscan and LePetit Chef so no way we would go to them vs Luminae.  
On S class on a long cruise (12 + nights) we will go to Murano or Lawn Grill once.  On E Class we found Fine Cut Steak house on par with Luminae we didn’t try Eden.

2 hours ago, W283386 said:

I would not waste my money in a specialty restaurant when cruising in a suite.  I love Murano, but I have equally loved our meals in Luminae when lucky enough to travel in a suite.  

• Like 3

We love Raw on 5 and usually go a couple of times (or more on a long cruise), usually for lunch and stick with Luminae for dinner.    Tried Eden once and did not like it at all and we have lost interest in the others.    We really enjoy the food and service in Luminae.  

• Like 3

When we aren't able to book a suite (sold out or incredibly high pricing), we usually dine in specialty restaurants and avoid the MDR.    On M and S class, the specialty restaurants are adequate and good but on the Edge class, even though we absolutely love Luminae, we always book Raw on 5 and also Fine Cut.    They are both excellent.   We have booked Eden twice but canceled.   For the last 4 cruises we once again booked Eden but alas they have been canceled.   We want to try the revamped menu.

2 hours ago, jelayne said:

The ship matters. M class only Tuscan and LePetit Chef so no way we would go to them vs Luminae.  
On S class on a long cruise (12 + nights) we will go to Murano or Lawn Grill once.  On E Class we found Fine Cut Steak house on par with Luminae we didn’t try Eden.

We loved the animation with LePetit chef on infinity found the concept highly entertaining, would do that again. 

• Thanks 1

We stick with Luminae.  We tried Le Petit Chef ONCE, never again.  Show was once and done and the menu/food mediocre.  What a waste of valuable specialty restaurant space.  Luminae is just as good as Murano, so why spend the money?  My wife does insist on Tuscan Grill once each cruise.  We want Qsine back and Bistro on 5.

• Thanks 1

Evening meals are ‘events’ to us, our evening entertainment. We like variety and enjoy the speciality restaurants. 

Whilst we have never ever had any issues with service in Luminae we are not great fans of the menu, we find it quite limited. I know lots of people love the Luminae menu...just a personal view.

• Like 2

We did Murano on Equinox for our anniversary an it was absolutely worth it because they had items you are not going to get in other venues including Luminae.    I say this as someone who has never been a fan of Specialties.   We enjoyed the goat cheese soufflé's for an appetizer, the Chateaubriand for two and my favorite of all time on a Celebrity ship is Grand Marnier soufflé's for dessert.  Wife had the dark chocolate soufflé's which was also excellent.  

Might point out that on last cruise on Summit which does not have Murano I asked in Murano if I could get the Grand Marnier soufflé's.   The waiter did his best but I basically got a cake with the sauce on it, not the same.   

13 hours ago, W283386 said:

Yes.  We always sail in a suite, but enjoy dining in specialty restaurants.  Depending upon the ship, we love the lawn club grill our favorite. But only on the reflection and Silly.   We also dine at least once in the new Le petit chef, Tuscan grill and Murano. On the edge, like all restaurants except Eden which we found not entertaining and the food blah.   Makes for a different experience when you indulge.  

We enjoy breakfast in Luminae and occasional lunch.  Sometimes you can also get a great package .

• Like 2

13 hours ago, W283386 said:

Why don´t you wait until you are on board?
If you feel like going to a specialty restaurant - maybe because friends want to go - then go. If not then don´t.

No need to decide now!

Edited by Miaminice
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, George C said:

While I love Luminae we normally do one or two specialty, we will look at menu in suite lounge then decide where to eat, love the appetizers in Tuscan grill, last year we were in a royal suite so we could go to any specialty at no cost and we still had most dinners at Luminae. By far Luminae has the best service. You will love Luminae and suite lounge.

We were invited to (and attended) a dinner in Tuscan Grill hosted by the Marketing Director on Millennium. By the way, no idea why we were invited - it was our first time on Celebrity, booked into the Celebrity Suite (at a very low price for that suite) for a transpacific. It was the best way to try the specialty restaurant, by having Celebrity pay for it. Unfortunately, that was a one-time random event.

Our experience was that the appetizers were good, the main courses were mediocre. We have (so far) been able to stay in suites, so haven't bothered with the specialty restaurants aside from that one time.

14 hours ago, W283386 said:

What ship?  What level suite?  In premium suites you get Specialty dining for no extra charge.  

We do enjoy Luminae overall but it is fun to do Specialty dining for a change of pace too.  Or for a special occasion.  You can also get discounts.  We enjoyed Fine Cut on Edge but it was quite noisy due to its location on the ship.  The steaks at Tuscan Grill are good but not outstanding and they do not compare to a land-based steakhouse.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Miaminice said:

Why don´t you wait until you are on board?
If you feel like going to a specialty restaurant - maybe because friends want to go - then go. If not then don´t.

No need to decide now!

Good point because often they have deals once on board.

• Like 1