Athens Greece Departure

ScottC4746

1 hour ago, whogo said:

The dining room lunch was opened to everyone for years pre-covid, no longer a Mariner benefit. No one knows what post-covid dining will be.

According to their website today 19 Jan 2021 at 1:55 PST it shows:

image.thumb.png.0519f3c18c3ec05160e82d84cfbe2483.png

So it must still be a benefit. 

• Like 1

On 1/18/2021 at 8:07 AM, StLouisCruisers said:

I recommend you check out George's Taxi in Athens for your "cab" ride.  Look them up on Tripadvisor and you will see they are rated extremely high for service.  We used them in 2019 when we sailed from Athens, and spent the night at our usual hotel in Piraeus near the yacht basin.  We have visited Athens in the past.  If we are just spending the night before the cruise there, we stay in Piraeus at the Phidias Piraeus.  We had arranged ahead of time to be picked up by George's Taxi service to drive us to the hotel from the airport after long flights (it was 65 Euros in a Mercedes sedan).   We knew we'd be exhausted and we really were because our flight from JFK was delayed and I recall we arrived about 4 hours later than we had scheduled.  I couldn't believe my eyes when we got out of immigration and there was our driver waiting for us, without us having to call and find out when they could send a driver over.  I recommend them highly.

Thank you for the hotel suggestion.  I am sure my May 1st AZ cruise will be cancelled, but someday this info will come in handy.  I looked it up on line.  Very reasonable. And they provide free shuttle from/to the port, metro, RR and X96 airport bus. 

Edited by Red Haired Lady

1 minute ago, Red Haired Lady said:

Thank you for the hotel suggestion.  I am sure my May 1st AZ cruise will be cancelled, but someday this info will come in handy.  I looked it up on line.  Very reasonable.

You're probably aware of the size of elevators in Europe so be prepared.  We had to send one of us up with one or two bags at a time due to how tiny they were.  So funny!

6 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

You're probably aware of the size of elevators in Europe so be prepared.  We had to send one of us up with one or two bags at a time due to how tiny they were.  So funny!

Sounds like a hotel we had in London.  The Hilton London Mews.  Literally our bags and one of us in the lift.  One of us had to sit on the bed while the other changed clothes.   Don't get me wrong it was a cute little hotel, little literally.  To bad the prices weren't little.

Edited by ScottC4746

1 minute ago, ScottC4746 said:

Sounds like a hotel we had in London.  The Hilton London Mews.  Literally our bags and one of us in the lift.  One of us had to sit on the bed while the other changed clothes. 

Now that reminds me of a tiny hotel we had in Copenhagen by Tivioli Gardens.  The space around the bed itself was so narrow we had to put the luggage there, standing up, and couldn't walk there at all.  There wasn't anywhere else to put the luggage!

11 minutes ago, Red Haired Lady said:

Thank you for the hotel suggestion.  I am sure my May 1st AZ cruise will be cancelled, but someday this info will come in handy.  I looked it up on line.  Very reasonable. And they provide free shuttle from/to the port, metro, RR and X96 airport bus. 

That's correct.  We liked the fact it was a block to the yacht basin so you had a nice place to take a walk and people watch.  There is also a huge supermarket right there near the basin, plus some little restaurants to grab a meal.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2021 at 8:36 PM, leanstostarboard said:

Piraeus is  the largest and most important of Athens ports, about 10 km south of Athens city center.  There is a train from Athens to Piraeus but it is an inconvenient walk from the train station to the port entrance with luggage.   I suggest find a good hotel in Athens and hire a can from Athens to the port. 

Yes,   this  ^^

We  sailed from  Pireaus two times  and stayed  pre-cuise

in Athens both times.......... MUch nicer  hotels   etc   there  and  we totally loved those  stays  . 

I particuarly liked the Platka, the restaurants; shopping in this area  and especially the views of ACROPOLIS  while dining on an outdoor  restaurant    patio   Some nice hotels in this  area 🙂

• Like 1

We are sailing from Athens in September on the Westerdam,  We are spending 3 nights in Athens before the cruise in a hotel with a closeup view of the Acropolis. The hotel has a transport to the cruise dock in Piraeus, for only 50 Euros per couple, which we signed up for already.