Carnivals TA commissions & You loose all OBC

ALWAYS CRUZIN

My TA is really upset. She just found out that when she booked a Carnival cruise and Carnival cancels the cruise they do not receive any commission for booking and taking care of the FCC that their customer will receive. Let's say you had a cruise booked, Carnival cancelled it and you received FCC. Then you book another cruise and Carnival cancels and you receive the FCC. The TA will NOT receive any commission for all the work they did on those past cancelled cruises. She will no longer book a Carnival cruise till they actually start sailing again. What happened to me just now. Carnival cancelled my March Breeze cruise. I had OBC from a Cancelled Mardi Cruise of $200.00 and $600.00 OBC from another cancelled cruise. My total OBC would have been $850.00. Carnival will no longer Return you FCC OBC back to you for future use. You loose it all. I will receive only the OBC they offer for the cancelled Breeze sailing. So my TA gets zero commission and I loose $850.00 OBC that I could have usually received to use on another cruises. Royal and other do not do this at all. I also had a Royal cruise just cancelled. Kept the OBC and received 125% of the cost of the cruise towards another cruise.

You lose $200 right? Because you get $600 from the new offer right? You can always call carnival and plead your case. Have them get a supervisor involved. I have had a couple issues resolved doing it that way.  On the TA part my recommendation is to use a bigger agency that doesn’t care. Mine is that way. I tried using a small family one just to help them out and ended up having to listen to a big thing about how the commission wasn’t worth the time they spent on it. So I had them authorize me to deal directly with carnival and I’ll never stray from my TA again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

My TA is really upset ....

Royal and other do not do this at all. I also had a Royal cruise just cancelled. Kept the OBC and received 125% of the cost of the cruise towards another cruise.

Actually rcl does do this. I just had my rcl april cruise canc. I paid cash deposit and it was paid off with fcc. Only if its paid off with cash does he receive commission.  ..I'm sure hes not thrilled either and is tired of rebooking me.

I received no obc for booking rcl so yours must be some other compensation that you kept. Rcl gives 125% fcc if they cancel no obc. I'll receive a new fcc for my fcc plus 125% only on the deposit amount. And rcl doesnt allow you to turn left over fcc into obc like carnival so now it's enough to pay off 2.5 cruises. Rcl changed the rules so many times ..at one pt couldn't use as deposit and now you can. 

Believe me fcc on carnival so much easier to use, but your ta would have lost out on commission if paid off by fcc on rcl too (see posts on this very thing by ourusualbeach on rcl threads). Hes a ta who many turn to with questions like this.

I agree with above, have the ta call and plead your case regarding the $200 obc from the canc mardi gras cruise.

Edited by firefly333

1 hour ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

My TA is really upset. She just found out that when she booked a Carnival cruise and Carnival cancels the cruise they do not receive any commission for booking and taking care of the FCC that their customer will receive. Let's say you had a cruise booked, Carnival cancelled it and you received FCC. Then you book another cruise and Carnival cancels and you receive the FCC. The TA will NOT receive any commission for all the work they did on those past cancelled cruises. She will no longer book a Carnival cruise till they actually start sailing again. What happened to me just now. Carnival cancelled my March Breeze cruise. I had OBC from a Cancelled Mardi Cruise of $200.00 and $600.00 OBC from another cancelled cruise. My total OBC would have been $850.00. Carnival will no longer Return you FCC OBC back to you for future use. You loose it all. I will receive only the OBC they offer for the cancelled Breeze sailing. So my TA gets zero commission and I loose $850.00 OBC that I could have usually received to use on another cruises. Royal and other do not do this at all. I also had a Royal cruise just cancelled. Kept the OBC and received 125% of the cost of the cruise towards another cruise.

The Travel Agents WERE taken care of on the first cancelled booking, their commission WAS protected regardless if the customer cancelled or not however the cruise-lines can’t continue  pay commissions on each paused sailing. Why should they? They would be in very serious financial peril if they did this.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, deweytrader said:

From what I understand is they do still receive commission for paid in full bookings.

My ta posted he did NOT receive commission if paid in full with fcc. Only if paid in full in cash/credit card.

As above ta was protected first round. I took the fcc from april 2020 and paid off april 2021 with the fcc. I'm sure by now he is sure if he gets paid or not. This for sure isnt the first cruise rcl cancelled for one of his clients. 

1 hour ago, Saint Greg said:

You lose $200 right? Because you get $600 from the new offer right? You can always call carnival and plead your case. Have them get a supervisor involved. I have had a couple issues resolved doing it that way.  On the TA part my recommendation is to use a bigger agency that doesn’t care. Mine is that way. I tried using a small family one just to help them out and ended up having to listen to a big thing about how the commission wasn’t worth the time they spent on it. So I had them authorize me to deal directly with carnival and I’ll never stray from my TA again.

The same thing happened to me.  Although I commiserate for not getting paid for work done (and I did pay the TA a penalty).....I felt guilty booking anything with him knowing that the cancellation probability was high. 

Maybe I'm confused, but it sounds like OP expected to keep $600 obc  from canceled cruise #1and then add another $600 obc when the replacement cruise,  cruise #2 was canceled.

• Like 1

First, what would one possibly do with $850 on board credit?

Second, did your TA explain to you or did Carnival indicate why they were taking the $600 and leaving your the 200?

ETA, I thought they were only transferring the OBC to a future booking of the same ship? No?

Edited by pc_load_letter

Just now, pc_load_letter said:

Second, did your TA explain to you or did Carnival indicate why they were taking the $600 and leaving your the 200?

1st question

Spend it?  gratuities , excursions , drink package , internet , specialty dining , gift cards  etc.

2nd

no idea not the poster

22 minutes ago, pc_load_letter said:

ETA, I thought they were only transferring the OBC to a future booking of the same ship? No?

OP said he would lose all obc if cruise cancelled. He didnt say he would keep $200.

All this means is first time you book the commission is protected. Then fcc is issued and used to pay for 2nd cruise which is cancelled. TA commission isnt protected twice on the same funds used to book a canc cruise.

Let's all hope cruises start soon. Next up for me ccl sept. I hope it goes.

• Like 1

This has been known for a while. A TA gets commission on the first canceled cruise and the last cruise that actually does sail.

The canceled ones in the middle, the commission gets recalled and the agent works for free.

As far as your OBC, if you have rescheduled your canceled cruise you should receive the $600 (provided your sailing was 6 days or longer).

10 hours ago, pc_load_letter said:

As others have suggested, 850 in OBC  can go real quick.  That won't even cover Cheers and  regular gratuities for two for a 7 day cruise.  2000 in OBC could easily be spent if you're cruising the Med or Europe and spend it on excursions.

2 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

As others have suggested, 850 in OBC  can go real quick.  That won't even cover Cheers and  regular gratuities for two for a 7 day cruise.  2000 in OBC could easily be spent if you're cruising the Med or Europe and spend it on excursions.

And if the only way off the ship is through the cruise line's overpriced excursions, that becomes even easier.

The cruise we had booked for last summer was a Norwegian fjords cruise on Princess. The prices on their excursions were extremely high.

14 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

And if the only way off the ship is through the cruise line's overpriced excursions, that becomes even easier.

The cruise we had booked for last summer was a Norwegian fjords cruise on Princess. The prices on their excursions were extremely high.

And if they continue with only letting you off the ship on a ship excursion they have a captive audience, and can charge whatever they wish.  When in a foreign (Med., Europe, etc.) port we usually take ship excursions if time in port is limited and we feel it will be too much pressure to take an outside vendor's excursion and make it back in time if there is a problem on the tour.  The ship excursions are usually way more expensive - especially with a family of 4.   We usually take a private tour for 1/2 of what the crowded ship excursion would cost.

5 hours ago, pe4all said:

And if they continue with only letting you off the ship on a ship excursion they have a captive audience, and can charge whatever they wish.  When in a foreign (Med., Europe, etc.) port we usually take ship excursions if time in port is limited and we feel it will be too much pressure to take an outside vendor's excursion and make it back in time if there is a problem on the tour.  The ship excursions are usually way more expensive - especially with a family of 4.   We usually take a private tour for 1/2 of what the crowded ship excursion would cost.

And with lost revenue from all the down time and if there is also reduced capacity for quite awhile, the cruise lines could see the take our excursions or don't get off the ship as quite a profit making center. And they would have no competition if you want to see and experience the port.

On 1/18/2021 at 1:18 PM, pc_load_letter said:

16 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Yeah, if it is going to be a bubble cruise, $850 isn't nearly enough for the excursions for two people.

• Like 1

At the very bottom as usual in fine print is says. You will not receive any OBC you currently have on the cancelled cruise, only the offered OBC for a future cruise. Not word for word, but basically that is what is said. My TA called the diamond desk and nothing could be changed. As being paid the commission to the TA. Yes, in the beginning they kept it. However, since then it changed. Weather being paid by cash or FCC. The commission is now taken back by Carnival. The size of the company they work for makes no difference. My TA does work for a large company.

Same topic (but NCL).  I had yet another cancellation yesterday and I knew how I wanted to replace it.  Even if the ship sail (Oct 2021...not high hopes) we won't be going if there are restrictions in place (masks etc).

I e-mailed TA and was very transparent...that I didn't want him to work for $0....if he wanted to do the booking it was his.

After 4 hours and no response, I booked it directly.  I really feel for TAs.  It's been a year of $0 income.