Alaskan Cruise Question

GaryWT

Hi all, might be looking for the impossible but I really though I saw it.

Planning an Alaskan cruise and I though I saw where a ship docked overnight so you could take a train to see the northern lights and in the morning the ship departed.  I know I saw it but now can’t find it.  My wife will only cruise Alaska if she can see the lights.  I have been searching and looking at all the cruise lines but for the life of me I cannot locate a cruise that has this excursion. Thanks. 

• Like 1

If it happens, it won't be on a mass market line.  And for the length of the train ride, they would probably have to dock two nights.   You might also ask on the Alaska board here, under Ports of Call.  EM

I see your thread has already been moved to the Alaska board.  

Edited by Essiesmom

If seeing aurora is so important, the only way that you can be reasonably certain to see them is to go to Fairbanks or points north in January or February or March.  It will be so cold that you will freeze but assuming the weather cooperates, your chances are very high.  I spent a week in Fairbanks and north in Chena Hot Springs one winter and had 5 days of intense wonderful aurora.  However, the prime purpose of that trip was just to see and photograph aurora.  Everything else that I did on the trip was unimportant.

Try doing a Google search on "Alaska Northern Light Tours".  You will get some hits.  If you do it, it will be an unusual trip that you will never forget.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

7 hours ago, GaryWT said:

Thanks everyone.  Had heard Sept was good but maybe not.  Might have to take a cruise and then take a vacation to Iceland which might be easier from Massachusetts. 

If you do land before the cruise and go to Fairbanks you stand a good chance of seeing the northern lights in September

On 1/18/2021 at 5:44 PM, GaryWT said:

Thanks everyone.  Had heard Sept was good but maybe not.  Might have to take a cruise and then take a vacation to Iceland which might be easier from Massachusetts. 

Assuming that you can afford Iceland, your idea of a cruise + Iceland is the best one yet.  Iceland is a great place to visit.  I have been there in the summer.  It would be great to do it in the winter.

DON

On 1/18/2021 at 7:44 PM, GaryWT said:

A friend did see Northern Lights in September on a Viking Ocean cruise in Alaska. It is not common but it can happen.

On 1/20/2021 at 11:18 AM, wolfie11 said:

I've never heard of this in Alaska.  It sound more like something they'd do in Norway...

Yes - there are Northern Light cruises in Norway. The one cruise I had friends on and followed - they only saw them one night. It was October time frame.

• 3 weeks later...

To the OP: Please let your wife know that there are hundreds of reasons

to visit Alaska! I hope this does not hold you back. We saw the northern lights on our first Alaska

cruise on August 28, 2000.

And has been mentioned, there are cruises with the itineraries for the northern lights

in the winter. Then you can have both!