Are Princess saying anything about Excursions.

Aulanis

Anyone seen anything from or asked Princess about private excursions or just being able

to get off a ship other than on a "ship trip"  I appreciate that  a lot depends on what the

& CLIA say and what the ports visited say but I find Princess are pretty poor at telling us

what is going on.
We only book based on destinations and like to do our own thing.  Even prior to Covid found
ship trips to be expensive and restrictive. 
MSC during their   early cruise efforts did address  this a bit by selling  a parcel of 3 trips

for (I think) €99, which although may have been restrictive were a good price.
  Whilst checking out  the Cunard  site to answer a query someone made I spotted this:

"We are currently working on a new programme that will be available,

including options at a lower price  and available to purchase via My Cunard eight weeks

prior to departure. The new programme and  additional options will ensure that we have

options available for all guests to travel ashore while  Covid-19 (coronavirus) guidance is in place."

As Cunard are Carnival  as are Princess I wonder if Princess are working on something similar.

Edited by Aulanis

I asked Princess rep recently about excursions for my 2022 spring cruise. They don’t know at this point if only ship excursions will be the case. I am already able to book them more then a year in advance and see offerings “ on your own” where they give translation to/ from and then you can go off and walk around on your own for 3-5 hours. Agent said they are decreasing the number of people on each excursion. My cruise shows capacity at 45 instead of 50. Still a lot is unknown. 

• Like 1

Cunard does not allow you to use onboard credit to book excursions which will be problematic if you have a lot of onboard credit and nothing to use it for. Waiting until you get on the ship may mean many are sold out.  Have first Cunard cruises next fall. Not sure what we will do. 

I would not put much stock into the excursions that Princess shows on there website.  I cancelled a Caribbean cruise last February and have re-booked for February 2022 and the excursion they show for the 2022 cruise are identical to the 2021 cruise.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dog said:

I asked Princess rep recently about excursions for my 2022 spring cruise. They don’t know at this point if only ship excursions will be the case. I am already able to book them more then a year in advance and see offerings “ on your own” where they give translation to/ from and then you can go off and walk around on your own for 3-5 hours. Agent said they are decreasing the number of people on each excursion. My cruise shows capacity at 45 instead of 50. Still a lot is unknown. 

How can they possibly allow "on your own" where you can go off and walk around on your own and at the same time not allow you to just get off the ship without paying them for an excursion? How can they justify that? How can they call that a "bubble"? How can they say they are protecting either you or the inhabitants of the port?

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

How can they possibly allow "on your own" where you can go off and walk around on your own and at the same time not allow you to just get off the ship without paying them for an excursion? How can they justify that? How can they call that a "bubble"? How can they say they are protecting either you or the inhabitants of the port?

I cannot answer your questions 

nor could Princess give me much of an answer 

we will just have to wait and see once ships start cruising again. 

my next cruise is at the end of March 2022. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

I think it is still too early to know what excursions are going to look like once cruising resumes.  This is still a very fluid situation and the CDC guidelines can change at a moments notice.

I agree with you.

I have NOT seen any official word from Princess saying only Princess ship excursions will be allowed. 
it is just too soon & can change at any time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dog said:

I cannot answer your questions 

nor could Princess give me much of an answer 

we will just have to wait and see once ships start cruising again. 

my next cruise is at the end of March 2022. 

But you have to admit that it makes no sense to allow "On Your Own" and you can wander if the purpose is to keep you in a bubble. Other than paying the cruise line, what is the difference between On Your Own and you get off the ship without an excursion and wander on your own?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

But you have to admit that it makes no sense to allow "On Your Own" and you can wander if the purpose is to keep you in a bubble. Other than paying the cruise line, what is the difference between On Your Own and you get off the ship without an excursion and wander on your own?

agreed - any and all excursions currently available for booking are purely that - "available for booking"

not necessarily what will actually happen at any point in time ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

It makes NO sense. Right. 

post your source for “ship only excursions” please 

I don’t believe that is official at this time. 

2 hours ago, dog said:

It makes NO sense. Right. 

post your source for “ship only excursions” please 

I don’t believe that is official at this time. 

Nothing is official; it's just speculation based on what was the policy on the various cruise lines that have so far tried cruising in Europe.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Nothing is official; it's just speculation based on what was the policy on the various cruise lines that have so far tried cruising in Europe.

thanks for response. 

only speculation. 

4 minutes ago, dog said:

thanks for response. 

only speculation. 

Speculation, but based on what other cruise lines have done so far. They had maintained that their "bubble" excursions both protected the cruisers and the natives of the countries being visited.

57 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Speculation, but based on what other cruise lines have done so far. They had maintained that their "bubble" excursions both protected the cruisers and the natives of the countries being visited.

oh, are other cruise lines operating with passengers right now?  

my post is only about Princess cruiseline. 

Princess has basically said they have no idea what the actual policy will be or when it will be stated.

Too many changing things such as vaccines, port restrictions, reliable quick testing, etc.

At this point I would be more worried that ports listed on itineraries will not let cruise ships at all go there.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, caribill said:

Princess has basically said they have no idea what the actual policy will be or when it will be stated.

Too many changing things such as vaccines, port restrictions, reliable quick testing, etc.

At this point I would be more worried that ports listed on itineraries will not let cruise ships at all go there.

P&O,  obviously part of Carnival,  have already stated that when cruises restart in Europe, passengers will only be allowed ashore on official trips. If you are not on an official trip, you cannot leave the ship.  

I can't  see why the Princess policy for European cruises should be any different.

5 minutes ago, wowzz said:

P&O,  obviously part of Carnival,  have already stated that when cruises restart in Europe, passengers will only be allowed ashore on official trips. If you are not on an official trip, you cannot leave the ship.  

I can't  see why the Princess policy for European cruises should be any different.

Can you give us link to your source?

17 minutes ago, dog said:

Can you give us link to your source?

"In line with the approved health protocols all shore experiences will be on organised excursions only using vetted operators who will be subject to regular testing and ongoing guidance.

Our shore experience operators will be subject to new screening and guidance/ temperature checks/and or health screening may be carried out prior to boarding the ship after time on shore."

You need to scroll through this link, and go to the FAQ section to find the above quote

https://www.pocruises.com/cruise-with-confidence

• Thanks 1

Another tired thread of speculating when even Princess Cruises doesn't have the information needed to make decisions and plans.  Let's wait to see what they are able to do or what you are able to do independently before wasting our time with this topic.

By the way, it's Is Princess not Are Princess.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Grego said:

Another tired thread of speculating when even Princess Cruises doesn't have the information needed to make decisions and plans.  Let's wait to see what they are able to do or what you are able to do independently before wasting our time with this topic.

By the way, it's Is Princess not Are Princess.

Amen!!!

4 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

Agree, but you can be censored by mods for correcting grammar. I was once told people from many countries post , some who do-not have English as a primary language. 

Yes, people tend to get bent out of shape when either the "grammar police" or "spelling police" post corrections.