SAGA announces mandatory vacancies

8 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

SAGA is a tiny cruise line catering to old people.   I'm not sure much can be read into their decision.

At the rate that this vaccine is being rolled out, I will be one of those old people by the time it's my turn to get it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

18 minutes ago, broberts said:

Did you not have to park for 15 minutes or so after in case of a bad reaction?

Since my husband is on an anti-coagulant medication, we actually had to stay in a parking lane for 30 minutes. After we got our shot, they wrote the time we could leave on our windshield with an erasable marker. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LilBlackDress said:

I may have to find a new way to spend out vacations. 

Just to get a flu shot I have to make an appointment at the hospital in case of a bad reaction. Hence why I don't get flu shots!! 

I know this is all speculation right now, and I would hope there are exceptions for those that can't get the vaccine. But it just seems like even with the vaccine there will be so many other problems before and during cruising that it might not be fun anymore...

I can’t take the flu vaccine,  but I had no problem with the first Covid (Pfizer) shot. 

My doctor, who advises me not to get the flu vaccine, told me to go ahead with the Covid shot.  Of course,  I had  an EpiPen with   me. I waited at the center for about 45 minutes after the shot. 

check with your doctor, maybe you can get the shot. 

m

16 minutes ago, Magicat said:

Liability issues aside, what if the cruise line gave you a shot of the Johnson and Johnson 1 shot vaccine before you boarded the ship.  Check in, get your shot, wait 30 minutes and then board.

Because the vaccine isn’t fully effective for a week to 14 days.

Saga has stated you must have received the second dose 14 days prior to embarkation. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Those started before the vaccines were available. 

I know and they were started before they were even approved and continued sailing as cases increased.  Logistically It doesn't seem feasible to require it. I can see it being a condition of employment but expecting everyone to be vaccinated is unlikely. There are still people who refuse to wear a mask a year later.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I know and they were started before they were even approved and continued sailing as cases increased.  Logistically It doesn't seem feasible to require it. I can see it being a condition of employment but expecting everyone to be vaccinated is unlikely. There are still people who refuse to wear a mask a year later.

Everyone does not need to be vaccinated...only those that want to cruise.  I can absolutely see the cruise lines requiring this especially for the next year to two until global cases in the general population drop to a small amount due to herd immunity. 

they will have enough people who will get the vaccine to allow them to sail.  Remember, they won’t be sailing at full capacity for a while anyway. 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Because it'll be that long before everyone can get one, especially kids.

It doesn’t take everyone to get the vaccine in order to sail. I’m sure there will be enough people to fill a ship or two.

9 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

And they're going to piss a lot of loyal passengers off if they require a vaccine of people who simply aren't allowed to get one yet, even if they definitely want to get it.

You can’t blame RC for something that falls on the government.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sandebeach said:

Since my husband is on an anti-coagulant medication, we actually had to stay in a parking lane for 30 minutes. After we got our shot, they wrote the time we could leave on our windshield with an erasable marker. 

Odd then that they didn't have anyone filling in the cards while people waited.

6 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

I can’t take the flu vaccine,  but I had no problem with the first Covid (Pfizer) shot. 

My doctor, who advises me not to get the flu vaccine, told me to go ahead with the Covid shot.  Of course,  I had  an EpiPen with   me. I waited at the center for about 45 minutes after the shot. 

m

My family doctor said I could if I wanted to but do it at the hospital. My hematologist said he wouldn't advise it. I trust him more. He has been treating me for almost 18 years. I have only known the family doctor for about 4 years...

5 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Everyone does not need to be vaccinated...only those that want to cruise.  I can absolutely see the cruise lines requiring this especially for the next year to two until global cases in the general population drop to a small amount due to herd immunity. 

they will have enough people who will get the vaccine to allow them to sail.  Remember, they won’t be sailing at full capacity for a while anyway. 

I do hope that all cruise lines require vaccination as a prerequisite for boarding. It will keep people safe and restore confidence in an induced that’s been hit badly. That said, it does limit their market considerably even if they are not sailing at full capacity. From the potential market subtract:

- people who won’t get access to the vaccine for a long time due to being young.

- people who won’t take the vaccine

- people who can’t take the vaccine

- people who take their vacation time with some of the above

- casual cruisers who will figure that land vacations are the way to go for a few year 

- people who will be desperate to catch up with family in other counties that they haven’t seen for a long time. The list goes on. 

We have young children so I have no idea when we’ll all be vaccinated so fall into one of the categories above. 
I think sometimes on this forum people forget that this is a subset of the population that is devoted to cruising and even amount those dedicated group there are people saying ‘no thanks’. 
It will be interesting to see how it works out. 

• Like 3

Hello,

The problem with here, the UK, the injections are being given as a free 'service' from our National Health Service and the government has taken a policy decision not to give "passports" certificates showing/proving vaccinations. So far anyway.

I am neither old nor ill enough to have been vaccinated yet so don't know what, if anything has been given to the patients after their jab.

As a (very) major purchaser of the vaccine, the government has also told the drug companies not to supply any private enterprises (for private vaccinations) until the contracts to supply the NHS have been fulfilled. So I cannot roll-up at a pharmacy and hand over my dosh to get a vaccine and get, at least, a receipt for it.

We Brits could be in a bit of a bind proving vaccination.

Regards,

Cublet

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

m

Did you end up having to go out of state to get it?

1 hour ago, LilBlackDress said:

My family doctor said I could if I wanted to but do it at the hospital. My hematologist said he wouldn't advise it. I trust him more. He has been treating me for almost 18 years. I have only known the family doctor for about 4 years...

Always good to check with your doctors. 

best wishes.

m

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

NO. The current category was recently expanded and I qualified. 

m

That's great.  your state is doing a lot better than Florida it sounds like they're moving right along.  At the rate we're going down hiit be 6 months before the seniors all get vaccinated. Should add guess we have a lot of us seniors down here

Edited by molly361

51 minutes ago, molly361 said:

That's great.  your state is doing a lot better than Florida it sounds like they're moving right along.  At the rate we're going down hiit be 6 months before the seniors all get vaccinated. Should add guess we have a lot of us seniors down here

I’m glad I got started. I need to travel out of state to care for my elderly mother. She can’t get a vaccine appointment in her state so I’m waiting till two weeks after my second shot  so I run no risk (or reduce as much as possible ) of infecting her. I haven’t been able to see her since March of last year. 
m

• Like 1

I had to google what SAGA was and even then there's no SAGA cruise line on any of the first few pages of results on 2 different search engines. I don't think we can take what one niche cruise line is doing and apply to other more family friendly cruise lines, yet. 

2 hours ago, cublet said:

Hello,

The problem with here, the UK, the injections are being given as a free 'service' from our National Health Service and the government has taken a policy decision not to give "passports" certificates showing/proving vaccinations. So far anyway.

I am neither old nor ill enough to have been vaccinated yet so don't know what, if anything has been given to the patients after their jab.

As a (very) major purchaser of the vaccine, the government has also told the drug companies not to supply any private enterprises (for private vaccinations) until the contracts to supply the NHS have been fulfilled. So I cannot roll-up at a pharmacy and hand over my dosh to get a vaccine and get, at least, a receipt for it.

We Brits could be in a bit of a bind proving vaccination.

Regards,

Cublet

Took my Mother last week and was given a credit card sized Card with the Vaccine details for 1st and 2nd jabs to be filled in. Her Name was not filled in.

I presume once we have had the vaccine, our Doctors can provide a certificate as it will be on our NHS record. Obviously, they will charge for this letter like they charge for private doctors notes etc.