Jump to content

Will Carnival follow suit?


Recommended Posts

On 1/21/2021 at 6:04 PM, glrounds said:

I cruised the PANORAMA a couple of weeks before shutdown, had another cruise in October cancelled on her, took the refund forfeiting the $600 OBC and then recently booked the PANORAMA for Nov2021. I frequently take my ex wife with me on cruises, but my ex has said she's not going to get vaccinated (thinks there is some plot to alter our DNA, which the vaccine does, incidentally). I point out the Saulk, measles, Rubella vaccines, but seemingly no avail. It's idiotic, IMHO, I'm 81 and she's 70, but won't budge. My question is, will Carnival allow me to cancel her because she doesn't want to take the vaccine without penalizing me ?  

I wish people would stop spreading the false information that this vaccine alters our DNA. It does not!

This type of information keeps some people from getting the vaccination and may cost lives.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2021 at 6:04 PM, glrounds said:

I cruised the PANORAMA a couple of weeks before shutdown, had another cruise in October cancelled on her, took the refund forfeiting the $600 OBC and then recently booked the PANORAMA for Nov2021. I frequently take my ex wife with me on cruises, but my ex has said she's not going to get vaccinated (thinks there is some plot to alter our DNA, which the vaccine does, incidentally). I point out the Saulk, measles, Rubella vaccines, but seemingly no avail. It's idiotic, IMHO, I'm 81 and she's 70, but won't budge. My question is, will Carnival allow me to cancel her because she doesn't want to take the vaccine without penalizing me ?  

I wish people would stop spreading the false information that this vaccine alters our DNA. It does not!

This type of information keeps some people from getting the vaccination and may cost lives.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe that all cruise lines will require vaccines.  It would be crazy not to.  If people want to cruise they will get vaccinated!  If all cruise lines do it, it will not be an issue.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2021 at 10:02 AM, Jamesatgsu said:

I think it is a very real possibility. I'm hopeful I'll get vaccinated in time for my May 29th cruise, but no way will my kids be vaccinated by then.

 

The vaccines aren't even cleared for under 18 year olds. There are no vaccines for kids

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, pc_load_letter said:

 

The vaccines aren't even cleared for under 18 year olds. There are no vaccines for kids

 

Based on what I have read,  trials are underway for under 18 year olds.  So I guess it is coming.  I will be getting the second dose on Saturday.   My wife will be in the next tier.   Hopefully this will be sorted out enough for us to proceed with our Aug. 21st  Panorama cruise.   

Edited by joeyancho
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pc_load_letter said:

 

The vaccines aren't even cleared for under 18 year olds. There are no vaccines for kids

 

Technically under 16 rather than 18, but yes, that is why I said no way they'll be vaccinated by then.

Link to post
Share on other sites

A big 'NO" for me, my family, and most of the people I am friends with.  Especially several that are in Healthcare.  If they are mandated, I will give up cruising, and have been on over 30.  Think about it- COVID is a Virus.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, kaylahszoo said:

A big 'NO" for me, my family, and most of the people I am friends with.  Especially several that are in Healthcare.  If they are mandated, I will give up cruising, and have been on over 30.  Think about it- COVID is a Virus.  

 

I'm almost afraid to ask, but why are you skeptical of vaccinating against a virus? We do it all the time.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Because a virus will come and then go.  Or it will change to a new strand.  When you get a flu shot, it's a gamble which strain you're getting. They don't know with 100% accuracy, that the flu shot you're getting will even help.  Don't do those, either..lol How about if you get a vaccine and you have your paperwork in hand, and viola! Different strain.  Gotta get 2 more shots.   Until more is known and it's been proven for several years, just not going to do it.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kaylahszoo said:

Because a virus will come and then go.  Or it will change to a new strand.  When you get a flu shot, it's a gamble which strain you're getting. They don't know with 100% accuracy, that the flu shot you're getting will even help.  Don't do those, either..lol How about if you get a vaccine and you have your paperwork in hand, and viola! Different strain.  Gotta get 2 more shots.   Until more is known and it's been proven for several years, just not going to do it.  

And right there we can see why herd immunity will never be reached. Too many will find excuses not to be vaccinated.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Your post, otw, comes across as really rude.  Even more than that, it's misinformed.

 

WHO reported that over the last three weeks, global infection rate has fallen by 30% in that period.  It's fallen by 44% in the US.  Too early to be the vaccine, especially since only 8% of people in the US have actually taken it, and most of those are health care workers.

 

I suppose if cruise lines want to focus on that 8%, I'm guessing a lot of empty ships will be sailing.  Not sure where you live, but the initial positive psychological push to get the vaccine here is dropping dramatically as the small minority of people with side effects (up to and including death) are publicized.

 

https://disrn.com/news/data-shows-covid-19-infection-rates-are-in-free-fall-around-the-world

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, kaylahszoo said:

Because a virus will come and then go.  Or it will change to a new strand.  When you get a flu shot, it's a gamble which strain you're getting. They don't know with 100% accuracy, that the flu shot you're getting will even help.  Don't do those, either..lol How about if you get a vaccine and you have your paperwork in hand, and viola! Different strain.  Gotta get 2 more shots.   Until more is known and it's been proven for several years, just not going to do it.  

 

Absolutely your right.  I trust you appreciate that at some point society no longer has an obligation to take steps to protect you, yes?  So an employer will have the right to expect you to report to your workplace in person.  Similarly, social distancing and mask wearing will end.  Obviously we all expect that common courtesy will remain but the burden will necessarily shift from society at large to the individual.  As long as you agree no one can begrudge your very personal choice.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been at my workplace for 32 years now. In person the entire time.  And it's not like I'm hidden away.  I'm a waitress.   And you are so right, Incognito!!  It is my responsibility!!!   

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, pc_load_letter said:

The vaccines aren't even cleared for under 18 year olds. There are no vaccines for kids

I have heard in the news that children’s vaccines should be available by the end of summer.  This will not be the reason for cruises not sailing.  I don’t think there will be cruising before these are available.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Incognito1 said:

Your post, otw, comes across as really rude.  Even more than that, it's misinformed.

 

WHO reported that over the last three weeks, global infection rate has fallen by 30% in that period.  It's fallen by 44% in the US.  Too early to be the vaccine, especially since only 8% of people in the US have actually taken it, and most of those are health care workers.

 

I suppose if cruise lines want to focus on that 8%, I'm guessing a lot of empty ships will be sailing.  Not sure where you live, but the initial positive psychological push to get the vaccine here is dropping dramatically as the small minority of people with side effects (up to and including death) are publicized.

 

https://disrn.com/news/data-shows-covid-19-infection-rates-are-in-free-fall-around-the-world

So according to you the information that the CDC gives as vaccine side effects is bogus?

 

What to Expect after Getting a COVID-19 Vaccine | CDC

 

So the reports that there were not only no deaths but not even any hospitalizations from the vaccine trials is also bogus?

 

And the US infection rates fell this summer,  but then they surged again.

Link to post
Share on other sites

That article is from Feb 4, so recent.

 

No deaths in the TRIALS.  Deaths and severe (not minor) side effects in the real world.  Not too difficult to find with even the basest of search engines.

 

If you want to get Moderna/Pfizer, I certainly wouldn't stop you.  That's your right!  Nor would I want to stop people who want to wait for Astra Zeneca/Oxford.  Or want to force people who choose not to get one at all.

 

What a great country the US still is that we do have choices.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree about trying to vaccinate against a virus.  How many times is the flu shot given and then later it is revealed that the vaccine was for a different strain?  Then you just got a shot for no reason.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vwrestler171 said:

I agree about trying to vaccinate against a virus.  How many times is the flu shot given and then later it is revealed that the vaccine was for a different strain?  Then you just got a shot for no reason.  

False equivalent.   This vaccine is for a specific virus, already know.   The vaccine is 95+% effective.   Just as the polio vaccine is for a specific virus and is 100% effective after full vaccination.   

Edited by joeyancho
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2021 at 2:26 PM, sarmat1 said:

 

Agreed.  Carnival's bread and butter demographic is families.  Individuals under 16 are currently ineligible to be vaccinated, so a vaccine mandate by Carnival will have them intentionally alienating their main clientele.  Not offering up any opinion as to whether mandating is good or bad (I'm on the vaccine list waiting for one), just stating that it is unlikely to be a Carnival mandate.

If they don’t mandate vaccines there might not be any bread and butter.  No way they will take that chance!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Truly a slippery slope in requiring a vaccine - where does it stop?  No flying?  No use of public transportation?  Can't check into a hotel?  I can, however, envision some rules such that if you have been vaccinated that you may not need to get a recent test, etc, before boarding.

 

And what about those of us in states that are totally inept in rolling out the vaccine, like California, where I know I am not eligible for the vaccine for a long while and my adult children have an even longer wait.  (Although, if I should commit a crime and get jailed I would be eligible for the vaccine in the next "tier!")  Or those of us who may not want to get vaccinated due to prior bad reactions to the flu shot?  (Ended up in the ER with anaphylactic reaction after last flu shot.)

 

Requiring a negative covid test is one thing, but requiring a vaccine is another.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

How about we just wear panty hose on our head....CDC says its good to go...

 

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7007e1.htm


“Other studies found that knotting and tucking a medical procedure mask or placing a sleeve made of sheer nylon hosiery material around the neck and pulling it up over either a cloth or medical procedure mask (3,4) also significantly improved the wearer’s protection by fitting the mask more tightly to the wearer’s face and reducing edge gaps.”

Lmao.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/4/2021 at 7:30 PM, Incognito1 said:

>>but the burden will necessarily shift from society at large to the individual<<

Shouldn't it have been the individual's responsibility all along?

Well sure.  I guess what I'm saying is that we've carried a greater burden during this pandemic to protect those at risk.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pc_load_letter said:

What part of "95% effective" did you miss?  That means 1 in 20 will still be able to get COVID-19.  At this early stage, with so many cases still present in the general population, this is completely expected, especially if those who get the vaccine don't continue to mask up and social distance.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Alberto Aliberti, President of Atlas Ocean Voyages
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with RiverCruising, the River Cruise Experts
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...