More Cancellations

DCCruiser57

We're on the June 10th Spirt Southampton  to Copenhagen. Not cancelled yet and still listed on SS website. Hoping it will go, but not expecting it. Also have November Athens to Dubai and February Sydney to Singapore - all re-bookings after 6 cancelled SS cruises. Hope something will go!!

I cancelled the June 10th Spirit some weeks ago, moved the money to another cruise in March 2022, felt that was more realistic. 
I am booked on the Spirit round U.K. this September, I have a tiny bit of optimism about it sailing but I’m not holding my breath. 

• Like 1

Guests are posting on the SS facebook page that they were notified of additional cancellations involving Canada - one was Northwest passage on the Cloud, another was a Whisper cruise from Montreal to NYC, a third was NYC to Barbados in October 21.  Some of these cancellations could just be SS positioning themselves to realign itineraries for countries/ports that will be open.  Also, apparently the UK is only permitting UK residents to cruise around the UK through 9/25.  

2 hours ago, jollyjones said:

I cancelled the June 10th Spirit some weeks ago, moved the money to another cruise in March 2022, felt that was more realistic. 
I am booked on the Spirit round U.K. this September, I have a tiny bit of optimism about it sailing but I’m not holding my breath. 

When my Copenhagen / Norway / Tower Bridge was cancelled, the 10 June Spirit I did consider, but plumped with a May Venice cruise already gone.

I would think with the road map, there certainly is a good reason to be optimistic iyour September cruise could sail. (If Crewe is sorted of course.)

Will you be able to get flights ok without needing to quarantine do you think?

I’ve taken a probably unrealistic punt on a Southampton Norway on MSC in September as we now had nothing left in 21. My next SS is FLL to Lima in Jan 22. I can’t see that going purely because of vaccination rates in South America. If it doesn’t sail, that will be the third time cancelled from the original booking. My Thames sailing I’ve pushed out to May 23...... if that sails, I will have paid in full for it 5 years before sail away! Crazy! Can you imaging paying in full now, for a May 2026 sailing!

3 minutes ago, DCCruiser57 said:

Guests are posting on the SS facebook page that they were notified of additional cancellations involving Canada - one was Northwest passage on the Cloud, another was a Whisper cruise from Montreal to NYC, a third was NYC to Barbados in October 21.  Some of these cancellations could just be SS positioning themselves to realign itineraries for countries/ports that will be open.  Also, apparently the UK is only permitting UK residents to cruise around the UK through 9/25.  

I was told that when I made the rebooking a week ago, that was the case and that there will be UK only cruises this Summer. If only the Wind was included and Tower Bridge.

1 hour ago, DCCruiser57 said:

third was NYC to Barbados in October 21

That one worries me since it’s so late in the year. And we’re supposed to be on the Whisper in December. 

What was the Whisper supposed to be doing in September/October? There’s nothing on the web site from mid September to mid October. 

1 hour ago, CruiserFromMaine said:

That one worries me since it’s so late in the year. And we’re supposed to be on the Whisper in December. 

What was the Whisper supposed to be doing in September/October? There’s nothing on the web site from mid September to mid October. 

Hi again😃, not sure what she was doing in the fall......but I know our Dec sailing was "new"....

as in put on the schedule very recently.

The Whisper was supposed to spend October/November cruising Montreal to NYC to Barbados. The NYC leg that I was booked on disappeared from the website ages ago so that became yet another one of my cancelled cruises.  The Montreal leg has been showing despite the fact that it can’t sail given the Canadian ban, and the unhelpful CDC, it is only a matter of time before it disappears. 
How, or even if, SS is going to get the Whisper from the Med to Barbados remains to be seen. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, les37b said:

Will you be able to get flights ok without needing to quarantine do you think?

Hi Les,

If quarantine-free international travel for the fully vaccinated has not resumed before September, it'll all become moot, I shall have gone insane trapped on my tiny, tiny rock.

Seriously though, if it hasn't, I'd fear for the airline industry as well as the cruise one - without international pax neither will survive.

I'm already fully vaccinated, and I am hoping that the UK will re-instate travel corridors at the very least - we certainly merit one as travel from Bermuda is no hazard to you as we have a fully functional test & trace system with a very low case count (shame I can't say the reverse is true).

Hope to bump into you aboard sooner rather than later!

PS If self-isolating for ten days was the price to pay to board a ship, by September I'd have to think about it ...

• Like 3

Hehe..... Yes, I'm of similar mind... If I had to self isolate (at home), then that obstacle isn't so bad. Having worked from home for a year, it's a small price to pay.

I had genuinely thought one if not two of the SS ships will have had a major shake up by now with several months of UK only cruises. If crews are available (and that logistic is a huge barrier), then I'm sure income is ready and waiting. My only caveat is relating to trying to recover loses by huge price hikes. I've looked at a few CL prices for cruises resuming in June and I do think they are counting on large numbers returning and have priced accordingly and take advantage of people's needs for a break.  

I still have 3 bookings with SS in place, but nothing until Jan 22 for a sailing to Lima, which I'm already not expecting to sail.  But I have booked something I was hopeful of sailing out and back from Southampton to Norway in September on the hope corridors might be in place. Not sure that will happen soon enough, or to the point, that they've been able to crew in time.

So I guess my only chance of getting back on the sea, is one of the UK only startups.

The rate we are vaccinating, the whole adult population should be completed (EU permitting) soon enough.  One day last week there were 860,000 in a single day, which is an amazing stat.

Agree with your thoughts on Airlines. On top of debts on low income, the maintenance and flight time still needs to be continued, or fleets will be grounded. Like CL, airlines have been shedding aircraft. It's never going to be the same again, at least for a very long time.

But in hope..... I raise my half full glass.. and think positive.

• Like 2