Norwegian Cruise Line NCL Refusing to Honour 10% Discount Promises From When They Cancelled The Cruises

Thequietone

NCL are refusing to honour previous 10% Discount rolling from another cruise they have cancelled all the previous cruises, yet the roll over the 125% FCC from the original cancellation 3 cruises before. They are not treating customers fairly? Appreciate any comments.

Well, it is a little unclear how you got this information..................I will say they seem very disorganized on how they track this (at least in my case).  I had a Spirit Asia cruise cancelled last Feb 2020, and they said in my NCL cancellation letter:

• "as a goodwill gesture, you will receive a future cruise credit worth 10% towards your next cruise. The credit will be available for use within 7 -10 business days and can be used for up to one year from the date of issue. It can be applied towards any of Norwegians currently published sailings."

• This credit doesn't appear in my NCL account online.
  • When I emailed support at NCL, I had multiple representatives say they don't offer these credits and that I was mistaken.
  • I finally had my TA call and escalate to a supervisor NCL agent, and by looking at my cancelled reservation, they said I could book a future cruise within 3 years and get 10% off the future cruise (not a 10% credit of the value of my cancelled cruise, as the letter implied).

Let's just say I don't have a lot of confidence this will go smoothly when I am ready to book.

Edited by pghflyer

1 hour ago, pghflyer said:

I finally had my TA call and escalate to a supervisor NCL agent, and by looking at my cancelled reservation, they said I could book a future cruise within 3 years and get 10% off the future cruise (not a 10% credit of the value of my cancelled cruise, as the letter implied).

You got lucky. We were booked on the Jade for a Hong Kong to Singapore trip in February. 9 days before departure NCL decided to make it a round trip Singapore sailing (changing international flights a week out is not fun/easy/cheap). 4 days before sailing, they just canceled the trip outright (luckily, we hadn't left for the airport yet). 

They offered us a refund and 25% future cruise credit, but when I went to book a cruise for later in 2021, NCL said we had to book and sail by February 2021. We booked the cruise and then wrote to guest services, but they (quite dismissively) said "no, it wouldn't be fair to everyone if we extended the FCC past February." 

As operations have been suspended through February, I've once again written back to see if they'd extend the discount (FCC or percentage discount, I'll take either) to a point we could actually use it, but I'm not holding out hope. 

On 1/21/2021 at 1:11 PM, Thequietone said:

NCL are refusing to honour previous 10% Discount rolling from another cruise they have cancelled all the previous cruises, yet the roll over the 125% FCC from the original cancellation 3 cruises before. They are not treating customers fairly? Appreciate any comments.

Why are you yelling?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My 10% coupons were tricky to make use of. When booking a new cruise I clicked on one of them and it gave a red invalid statement. Eventually I found I didn't have to unclick them, but they had to be accompanied by a credit card down payment rather than my future cruise credit. Then the 10% reduced price was acknowledged. The NCL site has odd human factors, but a lot of capability after trial and error.

NCL is treating customers fairly but you are evidently not getting what you think you should have.

I had a cruise cancelled for last March and when cancelled received the FCC of 25%. Used it towards another cruise, when that was cancelled,  I received that back and also a 10% off a future booking not a FCC. Again that was just cancelled and received back my 25% FCC and 10% off another cruise.  

I am sure NCL did not see this coming as we didn't. How do you think NCL can possibly continue to give 25% FCC on every cancelled cruise and remain in business when this is all over. We can all only hope to cruise again sooner than later.

• Like 1

Well, with literally zero information provided, I'm not sure what type of helpful information you think we can provide here. 

My April cruise was cancelled last week. My Personal Cruise Consultant gave me a call and I was able to book a cruise in January, which included using the 10% discount mentioned in the cancellation later I received. Try calling someone and have your cancellation letter handy that shows you're entitled to a 10% discount. 

• Like 3

On 1/27/2021 at 10:21 AM, natefish95 said:

Try calling someone and have your cancellation letter handy that shows you're entitled to a 10% discount. 

In my case, this didn’t work. We were given a hard book and sail year on our 25% discount from our canceled Southeast Asia February 2020 cruise. When I explained we couldn’t use the discount as all the cruises had been repeatedly canceled through May 2021, NCL guest services wouldn’t budge. 

2 hours ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

In my case, this didn’t work. We were given a hard book and sail year on our 25% discount from our canceled Southeast Asia February 2020 cruise. When I explained we couldn’t use the discount as all the cruises had been repeatedly canceled through May 2021, NCL guest services wouldn’t budge. 

Call NCL and recheck the validity of your 25% off coupon. It should be auto extended with use by 30 Jun 2021 and sail by 31 Dec 2022.

On 1/21/2021 at 8:11 AM, Thequietone said:

The original 10% off coupon had a very short validity period which has long passed. However, if you were recently cancelled (like April cruises) a new 10% off coupon was added to your account. 

15 hours ago, Serengeti228 said:

Call NCL and recheck the validity of your 25% off coupon. It should be auto extended with use by 30 Jun 2021 and sail by 31 Dec 2022.

Sadly, NCL guest services is sticking to their guns on this one. No exception to their policy of... offering a credit we're unable to use.
I  wrote to guest services again a few days ago and asked if they could possibly extend the one year validity of the 25% discount they gave us past February 2021 (so we could actually use it) and they replied:

"We must reiterate that we are unable to provide an extension of the expiration date for your credit nor are we able to extend a partial amount as we are unable to make any exceptions to our policies in place. It is our genuine hope that you understand it would be inconsistent and unfair for us to make exceptions to our policies for some guests, when many other passengers in similar situations have accepted these terms."

They've yet to explain how other passengers successfully booked and sailed on a cruise using the 25% discount when all voyages have been suspended for months  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Edited by AstoriaPreppy
weird typesetting issues

3 hours ago, B&Bscruise said:

Our most recent cancellation was for this April and although the FCC show in our account along with the Cruise Next deposit the 10% off coupon does not appear.

Same here.  So I did an online chat.  Unbelievable answers.  I had January 2021 cruise cancelled and got a 10% discount certificate.  Wasn't able to apply it online to a January 2022 cruise, so called and all was good - I found out they discount the cruise price, so it doesn't show as a discount and you wouldn't know it had been applied unless you had a copy of the "undiscounted" fare.  Same with the 25% FCCs if you have any.

Now the unbelievable part.  My April cruise was cancelled shortly after I used my existing discount and per the letter, I should have a new 10% discount from that cancellation.  No FCC on this one, just CN certificates.  I tried to book a new cruise for December 2021 and was told nope, no 10% discount.  You only get one - "the discounts are a total discount not a per reservation discount." - whatever that means. Guess I'll be on the phone this afternoon...