Cruise Vaccine News

GA Dave

Saga has started 

Update January 20, 2021

A message to all guests booked on cruises aboard Spirit of Discovery from April 2021, and cruises aboard Spirit of Adventure from May 2021 to December 2021.

First and foremost, I hope this message finds you well. Since I last wrote to you, we have welcomed the news that the COVID‑19 vaccination programme has started to be rolled out across the country, with many of our guests amongst the first groups of people being offered the vaccine.

It is with this in mind that we have once more reviewed our health and safety procedures to ensure we are providing the safest possible cruise experience. We have taken the decision to introduce the requirement that all guests must be fully vaccinated against COVID‑19 at least 14 days before sailing with us. This new measure will be in addition to the detailed arrangements we have already made in preparation for our return to service, which have been recognised and led to us being the first operator to receive the highest possible standard of health and safety protocols from Lloyd’s Register.

In order to allow our guests sufficient time to be fully vaccinated, we have decided to delay the restart of our cruise programme which was due to commence on 3rd April with Spirit of Discovery. Instead our programme will begin with Spirit of Adventure’s inaugural voyage on 4th May and our Secrets of Corsica and Sardinia cruise aboard Spirit of Discovery will now sail on the 2nd June. We will be contacting all guests affected to discuss their options.

This means that, all cruises prior to this will no longer go ahead as planned which I am sure will come as a huge disappointment to you, but I also know that you will understand our reasons behind this. As our phonelines can get busy at times, please do not worry about contacting us at this stage as my team will be in touch with you over the next two weeks to either transfer your cruise departure date (for those booked on Secrets of Corsica and Sardinia) or advise on your options and answer any questions you may have. If you are unable to transfer your booking to a later cruise, we will of course arrange a full refund for you.

Please see our list of questions and answers which I would kindly ask that you read as I hope these will give you some reassurance and answer any questions you may have. As always, my team and I are available should you wish to discuss anything with us directly.

Your continued support and understanding are very much appreciated. I very much look forward to welcoming you on board later this year. Until then, I hope that you and your family stay safe.

3 hours ago, Trimone said:

......our Secrets of Corsica and Sardinia cruise aboard Spirit of Discovery will now sail on the 2nd June.....

If this cruise, by some means, does sail on the 2nd June methinks the 'Secrets of Corsica and Sardinia' will remain a secret to all on board....with multi sea days to enjoy.....I just cannot see these islands accepting a shipload of tourists within that timeframe!

Edited by hamrag

3 hours ago, IrieBajan54 said:

Pride of America crew should be vaccinated a lot earlier than the larger source members from Indonesia and Philippines.

1 hour ago, zdcatc12 said:

The Hawaii Lt. Governor is also talking about fully vaccinated people not needing to quarantine anymore to enter the state. Pretty sure that will be the new norm very soon.

Thanks for posting this good news. I am booked on PoA for Oct 23-30, 2021. Now the vaccine(s) just have got to get in people's arms..

• Like 1

4 hours ago, farmersfight said:

Thanks for posting this good news. I am booked on PoA for Oct 23-30, 2021. Now the vaccine(s) just have got to get in people's arms..

Meanwhile, another 100,000 or more Americans will die of COVID-19.  

Will be an interesting logistical situation.  Do the non US crews have to get vaccinated in their home countries before being recalled on board the ships?  Will the POA crew, American nationality, get vaccinated in their home states, or wherever before being recalled?  Will they qualify for a vaccine in the next few months or will it be many months before they fall into the priority line?  Or will the vaccine be in plentiful supply by then so each ship can vaccinate the crew?  Must all the crew be vaccinated before they can sail?   However, the virus is still very much in control.  

2 hours ago, PelicanBill said:

The only real issue I see here, beside the shortage, is that we don't know when children can be vaccinated yet.

That's my dilemma for this summer vacation in Europe. That is IF we can get to the UK and EU by this summer.

Granddaughter will be 15 when we leave the US and enter the EU, but turns 16 during the trip.

16 is the cutoff.

4 hours ago, ace2542 said:

Why is that? I have never been on the Pride of America btw.

For the simple reason that it sails Hawaii with an American crew. First world countries have first access to the vaccine.

Just read that the NFL is giving 7,500 free tickets to healthcare workers for the Super Bowl. ONLY those who have been vaccinated will be eligible for tickets. 👍

• Like 4

14 hours ago, IrieBajan54 said:

For the simple reason that it sails Hawaii with an American crew. First world countries have first access to the vaccine

I did not know what. What does it cost to go on it? They must be on American minimum wage not 2 bucks and hour or whatever they get on most ships.

On 1/22/2021 at 9:32 AM, klfrodo said:

That's my dilemma for this summer vacation in Europe. That is IF we can get to the UK and EU by this summer.

Granddaughter will be 15 when we leave the US and enter the EU, but turns 16 during the trip.

16 is the cutoff.

I think the Johnson & Johnson that is going to be approved in the next few weeks is going to work for kids.

• Like 1

I 100% agree with this. All crew, all passengers, and all port workers. This would be the way to get cruising started. The saddest part to all of this is the snail pace of pharmaceutical manufacturing. I know it is not easy to spin up new lines and Pfizer's requires insane freezing. But still, there could be so much more done.

Already got my 1st vaccine, waiting until time for 2nd.   I wouldn't cruise without it. Hubby same way.  Now it is a waiting game before our adult daughter (29) can get hers.  The Johnson & Johnson vaccine (single shot, made similar to the flu vaccine, vs MRNA)  would likely be the best option for her.
I want to cruise this December. This is the 3rd time scheduled and I don't want to reschedule again.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

I 100% agree with this. All crew, all passengers, and all port workers. This would be the way to get cruising started. The saddest part to all of this is the snail pace of pharmaceutical manufacturing. I know it is not easy to spin up new lines and Pfizer's requires insane freezing. But still, there could be so much more done.

You have to pay them to step up their production. There is no business case to invest tens of millions of dollars for a production line that will be useless in 9 months for now. Scrap metal then. That’s what President Trump did with ventilators. 

Edited by BirdTravels

6 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

The saddest part to all of this is the snail pace of pharmaceutical manufacturing. I know it is not easy to spin up new lines and Pfizer's requires insane freezing. But still, there could be so much more done.

55 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

You have to pay them to step up their production. There is no business case to invest tens of millions of dollars for a production line that will be useless in 9 months for now. Scrap metal then. That’s what President Trump did with ventilators. 

Pfizer alone is producing 2 BILLION doses in 2021. I hardly consider that a snail pace. What would you expect them to produce?

DH and I have both had dose 1, and will get dose 2 this week (Healthcare). 

I didn’t think the J&J trial included <18yr so I’m not sure it would get approval under EUA in the US. But kids are going to be KEY to vaccinate to stop the spread.