Pacific Princess Sold!

ceilidh1

That did not take long from the announcement with Azamara.   You can count on it going to Sycamore.  The reason they can not announce where it is going is because they have to wait until the Azamara deal is done.  Good fit as an additional ship to the Azamara fleet.   Sycamore would have got a good deal for the ship as the other option was most likely the scrap yard.

Too bad the ship is leaving the fleet...

This is uncanny.  We were booked on Pacific Jun1 2022 Singapore to Rome.  it cancelled and then we booked Azamara Journey, same cabin, same basic itinerary and now it is sold too.

Thank you for posting this.

So sorry to see her go as she was my favorite. Was supposed to sail on her in May 2020 for a Coastal followed by Alaska. I was lucky enough to sail on the 50th Anniversary cruise with the entire Love Boat cast, this one one of my favorite cruises.

• Like 2

We rec'd our official cancelation email this morning - we were booked on the 24nt Mediterranean out of Rome for this September... so bummed. We're now officially looking at 2022 as the year we return to the ocean... we hope! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DougH said:

So sorry to see her go as she was my favorite. Was supposed to sail on her in May 2020 for a Coastal followed by Alaska. I was lucky enough to sail on the 50th Anniversary cruise with the entire Love Boat cast, this one one of my favorite cruises.

You can always sail on the Sirena with Oceana!  According to Wikipedia, the Pacific Princess, formerly known as R three, is a sister ship to R four.  R four was renamed Tahitian Princess and later Ocean Princess.  It was sold in 2016 to Oceana.

When I read about Pacific Princess, I thought it was the boat that we had sailed on.  But we sailed on the Tahitian and Ocean Princesses.  I agree there was much charm in these smaller boats.

2 hours ago, tert333 said:

That did not take long from the announcement with Azamara.   You can count on it going to Sycamore.  The reason they can not announce where it is going is because they have to wait until the Azamara deal is done.  Good fit as an additional ship to the Azamara fleet.   Sycamore would have got a good deal for the ship as the other option was most likely the scrap yard.

Azamara has been interested in buying her for a couple of years but Princess wasn't ready to sell.

2 hours ago, ringers0815 said:

2 2022 cruises booked on the Pacific Princess are now gone.... No similar itineraries are being offered by Princess at this point so will have to look elsewhere for our 2022 trips... 

Nothing comparable AT ALL for Tahiti in December 2021

Caribbean, Panama Canal, Mexican Riviera in December is all that seems to be on their website. No Thanks.

Can't get a visa to Australia so that's out the question. Very disappointed to say the least.

6 minutes ago, mreasier said:

Princess continues to push us away.  They continue to sell the ships we love and build ships we hate (Royal Class).

Indeed.  With the departure of Pacific Princess, this is three more cancelled Princess cruises for us:  in the Med on 2 Oct. 2021, out of Tahiti on 8 Feb. 2022, and then Tahiti to Sydney  18 Feb. 2022.   Sadly, we will no longer be able to look to Princess for most of our cruises when cruising finally resumes.

2 hours ago, DougH said:

So sorry to see her go as she was my favorite.    I was lucky enough to sail on the 50th Anniversary cruise with the entire Love Boat cast, this one one of my favorite cruises.

Mine also.

Thinking of saying Adios to Princess.😂

Pacific Princess was our favorite ship in the Princess fleet. We only sailed on her for 2 cruises but both bring back fond memories. The first cruise was the 50th anniversary cruise R/T from LA which hit the Mexican Rivera. Was wonderful having the Love Boat cast on board and so many other fabulous friends. Our last cruise was a cruise from Venice to Rome in one of the rear suites. Again so many friends made and such a great time. We will miss her immensely.

3 hours ago, macmax said:

Azamara has been interested in buying her for a couple of years but Princess wasn't ready to sell.

I don't think so. I don't think Royal Caribbean Group had planned on expanding the line. They make far more profits on their mega ships.

Just last week, we canceled our Aug 2021 Med cruise on the Pacific, and rescheduled in 2022 on a different ship. We weren't convinced that we, the port countries and ship staff would be vaccinated yet by August.  Guess I'm glad we made that call.  We've already had seven cruises canceled on us (two different cruiselines) and we've canceled a couple ourselves!  😂

Got six cancel emails today for Pacific Princess.  Like it and the Ocean Princess before sold to Oceania.  Ship with over 2,000 passengers just not the same experience. Princess will lose customers who feel this way, but I'm sure will more than make up for it in volume...

9 hours ago, jennybenny said:

can understand the business decision behind it. 

I can't.

The ship was (at least before the Pandemic) profitable, just not as profitable as the newer ships.

The 24 day Pacific Cruise we were booked in in 2022 was almost sold out over 400 days in advance and the segment before ours was sold out.

A big part of the Princess reputation was because of the many unique itineraries they once had. With the elimination of the last small ship, they no longer have any really unique itineraries. The Island and the Coral when they do world cruises do not go to most of the ports that the small ships had gone to.

Princess is becoming the cruise line to go with if you like overcrowded Caribbean ports with great shopping opportunities such as Diamond International or if you like crowded Alaska ports with great shopping opportunities such as Diamond International or if you like overcrowded European ports.

I for one have no desire to go to St. Thomas or St. Maarten or Cozumel, etc. for the umpteenth time.

• Like 9

9 hours ago, tcc8v said:

You can always sail on the Sirena with Oceana!  According to Wikipedia, the Pacific Princess, formerly known as R three, is a sister ship to R four.

True, but there is more to it 🙂. There were even 8 ships in that class. Apart from Oceania's Sirena, also the Nautica, Regatta and Insignia. And the whole Azamara fleet (3 ships). I wonder of the little Princess will go to either of these.

14 hours ago, Coral said:

I don't think so. I don't think Royal Caribbean Group had planned on expanding the line. They make far more profits on their mega ships.

True, but AZ is no longer under the RCG umbrella and their president just stated that the new owners are interested in expansion.