Spain ‘closed’ until the end of the Summer

Billy Baltic

The Spanish government have indicated that they are not accepting tourists until 70% of their population is vaccinated. They expect this will be around the end of the Summer. Given RC’s dependence on Barcelona in the Mediterranean, it looks like the Summer 2021 season could be over before it begins. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Sad, but not surprising.  I think we will see more countries keep things locked down from travelers till majority of the world's population is vaccinated.

With how long it is taking for the US to get to next phase of vaccinating I dont think my phase 3 group will have enough vaccine till summer at earliest.

52 minutes ago, Billy Baltic said:

The Spanish government have indicated that they are not accepting tourists until 70% of their population is vaccinated. They expect this will be around the end of the Summer. Given RC’s dependence on Barcelona in the Mediterranean, it looks like the Summer 2021 season could be over before it begins. 

I'm not even thinking of a Med cruise until summer 2022.  Really wanted to go this year as I missed out on a fantastic itinerary last September but I know it's not realistic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Billy Baltic said:

Was thinking of booking Harmony in Sept.  I'm itching to book but my head is saying stick to domestic holidays this summer 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, sgmn said:

Was thinking of booking Harmony in Sept.  I'm itching to book but my head is saying stick to domestic holidays this summer 

We were booked on Harmony for June. Hoping RC will make L&S available again and transfer straight to Allure for 2022. 
Sept may be still doable in 2021. 

20 hours ago, Billy Baltic said:

Ot would be nice if we die the same.

20 hours ago, Billy Baltic said:

7 hours ago, mskaufman said:

OK, now I'm confused.

Have a Sept. 2021 cruise booked out of Barcelona... Whose post shall I believe??

38 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Thanks.

Bummer, the Spanish authorities should get their act together....

Yea, although we have small problems compared to RC trying to figure out where, when and how they can deploy billions of dollars of assets while keeping their staff and customers safe. 

Edited by Billy Baltic

16 minutes ago, Billy Baltic said:

Yea, although we have small problems compared to RC trying to figure out where, when and how they can deploy billions of dollars of assets while keeping their staff and customers safe. 

That's why they get the big bucks.... Barcelona is key to almost all the Southern Europe cruises.

On 1/23/2021 at 4:40 AM, dani negreanu said:

No, Renee, no.... we want you here and I assume Mike would like it too 😍

That’s what I get for posting at 4:30 in the morning and not rereading it before I hit submit. 😀

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Has anyone got an update on Spain's view about tourism, specifically cruise ships?

We are due to dock at two ports on the North Coast (Gijon and Bilbao) late July and the cruise company say it will go ahead, but I am not convinced it will.  It is not a big ship, but we not at all keen on going if we have to stay in tour groups, which is what I expect will happen if it goes ahead.

Edited by tring

On 1/22/2021 at 6:23 PM, Billy Baltic said:

So will Barcelona cruises start from 1st September?

What about Cruises from Kiel and Copenhagen?

4 hours ago, drsel said:

So will Barcelona cruises start from 1st September?

What about Cruises from Kiel and Copenhagen?

It’s anyone’s guess. There’s a lot of talk of Greece and Spain introducing vaccine passports but I still think it’s a big leap to getting cruises operational. For one thing RC would have to get enough vaccinated crew to run the ships. 

• Like 1

The EU is behind most of the world in vaccination programs due to delays in setting rules for all EU and negotiating price on Vaccine. This , and new strains, has led to a resurgence. Hopefully will get to that 70% goal by end of summer. I am booked on Allure April 2022 debarking in Barcelona so hoping things don’t get crazy again.

On 3/16/2021 at 9:42 PM, tpcwags said:

The EU is behind most of the world in vaccination programs due to delays in setting rules for all EU and negotiating price on Vaccine. This , and new strains, has led to a resurgence. Hopefully will get to that 70% goal by end of summer. I am booked on Allure April 2022 debarking in Barcelona so hoping things don’t get crazy again.

Majorca has started to accept Tourists from the E.U with a negative PCR Test :

New measures to travel to the Balearic Islands
New tightening of the conditions to travel to the Balearic Islands. Both the central Government and the Government have announced this Wednesday measures to protect the citizens of the Islands from the coronavirus, on dates close to the Easter holidays, which also coincide with the reactivation of flights from Germany.
The Government has announced the new guidelines, which come into force from this Thursday, March 18 and will be in force, at least, until April 11:
All travellers arriving at ports or airports in the Balearic Islands must present a negative diagnostic test for coronavirus carried out a maximum of 72 hours in advance, regardless of the Autonomous Community from which they come.
All travellers have to fill out a sanctuary control form that will have to be presented upon arrival. It can be accessed at this address: www.ibsalut.es/viatjar-a-balears After filling in, a QR code will be generated, necessary on arrival. This document includes the passenger's data, health information and the reason for the trip.
The new regulation distinguishes three types of passengers:
1.- Residents: They must present the health control form. As for the diagnostic test (PCR or TMA), they can perform it at source at no cost in 220 laboratories spread over the 17 Autonomous Communities. If you are not traveling with her, you have to provide an appointment on arrival to have it done on the Covid Express or undergo an antigen test at the port or airport. If they don't, they will have to undergo a 10-day quarantine.
2.- Travellers with just cause: They must present the health control form and a PCR carried out at most 72 hours before or an appointment to be carried out at the Covid Express or undergo an antigen test at the port or airport. If they don't, they will have to undergo a 10-day quarantine.
3.- Travellers without just cause: If they do not present a negative PCR or TMA in the health control, they are exposed to a fine of up to 3,000 euros, and they will have to perform an antigen test at the airport or port.
Exceptions: Residents who have left the Balearic Islands 72 hours before their return, freight carriers and ship and aircraft crews are exempt from presenting a diagnostic test. Also exempt are travelers related to federated sports competitions and children under six years of age.
Regarding the measures adopted by the central Executive from Foreign Health, which affect passengers on international flights, control is redoubled:
Travellers will be subjected to a temperature control, a visual recognition, and will have to present both the QR code and the document proving the result of the diagnostic test.
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, ockelly said:

Looking to book cruise that ends in Barcelona on Aug 20th.  My questions is, will anything be open to see in Barcelona after the cruise ends?  Will it be worth staying a few extra days?

I doubt any cruise ending in Barcelona will sail in August, unless it is s cruise which just covers Spain and only takes residents of Spain on board. 

• Like 2

Due to sail from Barcelona on July 13 on the HAL Westerdam.  By the looks of things, if this cruise sails, I will be shocked.  Anybody have any updated info they can share?

Thanks.

Edited by ssawjo

Well, I am not surprised at all cause Spain is one of those African hubs to Europe. The situation there could even worst if they didnt close the bparders right now. I really wish that this situation will change soon