Princess from a HAL cruiser perspective?

MTAK

Hello everyone,  we're looking at a couple of 7-day eastern Caribbean itineraries for April 2022. The cost of the voyage is a wash - the Princess cruise is only $27 more for the trip with similar perks:

Rotterdam:

Grand Turk

San Juan

St. Thomas

Half Moon Caye

Caribbean Princess:

Princess Caye

St. Thomas

St. Kitts

We've done 2 cruises on each Signature ship and are very comfortable with HAL, and we'd like to sail a Pinnacle class ship.  It's especially enticing to sail the new Rotterdam. But we're also curious about sailing a different line.  The Caribbean Princess carries ~500 more pax, but I don't consider that to be a big difference at this time. 

I'm curious if any fellow HAL cruisers have any thoughts or insight to offer. I've done some searching with limited comparison results, specifically about these two classes of ships.  There's a Princess/HAL thread on the Princess board, but would like to hear another perspective. My limited understanding at this time is that Princess may offer more daily activities and potentially better shows, but otherwise the experiences are similar. Also, we've been to Grand Turk and spent limited time in San Juan on a prior cruise, but any additional thoughts about the port differences are welcome too.

We have cruised both: 5-star on HAL and Elite on Princess.  My biggest concern is the stateroom on Princess.  Unless you opt for the largest, most expensive balcony or a suite, you will be lucky to get even one chair in your room, and certainly not a love seat or coffee table.  We like to order breakfast in the room and HAL has a better hot breakfast.  But could you imaging having to eat your breakfast either sitting on the floor or sitting on the bed?

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

We have cruised both: 5-star on HAL and Elite on Princess.  My biggest concern is the stateroom on Princess.  Unless you opt for the largest, most expensive balcony or a suite, you will be lucky to get even one chair in your room, and certainly not a love seat or coffee table.  We like to order breakfast in the room and HAL has a better hot breakfast.  But could you imaging having to eat your breakfast either sitting on the floor or sitting on the bed?

And the bathrooms. Princess has the small showers all the comedians like to make fun of. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The answers were very good.  We sail both lines.  Finally decided to stick with Holland and then they restricted the entertainment and activities.  Princess eliminated the extra chair.  We weighed both and decided we could bring a balcony chair in to the cabin but we cannot sing and dance so now we are opting for Princess.   Actually, so far, we have requested the extra chair on boarding day and have gotten it.  Also the newer ships have so called obstructed balconies (but not if you choose wisely) with deluxe cabin that have a sofa.  Those are usually less that regular balconies in an unobstructed area.  If the entertainment and activities are not important to you, you will probably enjoy Hal more.  We are in our 80s so usually choose cruises with more sea days and like to be entertained.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I too echo these same comments about the cabin size, bathroom and main shows.  I would say that HAL has changed the entertainment focus to live contemporary music with BB Kings and the RSRR.  I have no hesitation about sailing either line but would likely choose HAL if the cost and itinerary were so similar.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the replies thus far.  I should note that I will turn 47 on this cruise and my wife is younger than I, just to put age into perspective.  And we are not high energy people who depend on entertainment (some would consider us boring 😛), but welcome the opportunity to try something new. As I mentioned previously, we've been happy with HAL to this point, but don't feel we should limit ourselves to HAL, at least not yet.

I can see where stateroom amenities could be a concern on longer cruises, but so far on 7-day itineraries we've spent minimal time in our rooms, and I don't think we even ordered room service on our last cruise. So that's not a huge concern right now, but that could change depending on our experience. We're used to vacationing in a slide-in truck camper so a stateroom seems roomy to us!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, mustgo said:

The answers were very good.  We sail both lines.  Finally decided to stick with Holland and then they restricted the entertainment and activities.  Princess eliminated the extra chair.  We weighed both and decided we could bring a balcony chair in to the cabin but we cannot sing and dance so now we are opting for Princess.   Actually, so far, we have requested the extra chair on boarding day and have gotten it.  Also the newer ships have so called obstructed balconies (but not if you choose wisely) with deluxe cabin that have a sofa.  Those are usually less that regular balconies in an unobstructed area.  If the entertainment and activities are not important to you, you will probably enjoy Hal more.  We are in our 80s so usually choose cruises with more sea days and like to be entertained.

Does the Caribbean Princess qualify as one of the newer ships with the so called unobstructed - obstructed balconies? If so, any tips to share?

Princess removing the one upholstered chair from their standard balcony cabins and below proved to be a deal-breaker for us and is the main reason we booked with HAL (although our first HAL cruise was cancelled due to the Scourge). While neither of us is disabled, we do like to spend time in our room and eating breakfast in bed or watching TV from a desk chair is not what we considered comfortable. I also don't believe we should have to "request" a chair from our steward.
Apart from that, Princess was fine although really heavy on jewelry and shop promotions.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MTAK said:

Does the Caribbean Princess qualify as one of the newer ships with the so called unobstructed - obstructed balconies? If so, any tips to share?

Caribbean Princess is not one of the Royal-class newer ships. It came in service in 2004.

I agree with most of what's been said regarding differences. Princess and HAL both have a fair amount of music onboard but it's deployed differently on Princess, not necessarily in dedicated venues like on the newer HAL ships. On the last Princess cruise I was on (about 2.5 years ago), they still had a steel drum band by the pool for example, and various types of music in their atrium at different times of day.

Princess has more activities and entertainment, but a lot of it is passenger-generated. So if you like watching take-offs of TV game shows and the like, they have quite a bit.

I've been on Caribbean Princess several times and I would caution you that a) she is not a new ship and b) she was the first of the Princess builds that took the Vista format but added an extra passenger deck. For this reason, the ship always seems crowded, and I'm not the only one to note that.

Food is subjective and tends to vary by ship, so I won't address it other than to say that IMO Celebrity, HAL and Princess all have their ups and downs. Sometimes one is better than another but 6 months (or 6 weeks) later may be different. I'm not a huge fan of either of the Princess specialty restaurants. Caribbean Princess does have their International Cafe which is great for grabbing little goodies/nibbles throughout the day (no charge).

On Caribbean Princess the best regular balcony cabins are those located on Deck 10 (Caribe) -- they have a larger balcony and it is part covered and part open. However, unless you go up to a mini-suite you will still face the chair issue -- may not be a big deal to you.  I suppose you could drag a balcony chair inside if needed, lol.

In summary, I don't think it is a bad idea necessarily to try out other lines, but if it were me, faced with the decision to try the new Rotterdam versus the older, somewhat tired and more densely crowded Caribbean Princess, I know which one I'd choose...

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I can't help trying to understand why Princess decided to remove existing chairs from the cabins.  Obviously it wasn't done for the comfort of the passengers.  We typically take longer (30 days average) cruises and enjoy a glass of wine or a good book in the cabin.  Of course now that HAL has decided to remove its libraries that is another slap in the face of passenger comfort.  It will be interesting to see if the cruise lines rethink some of these policies when they try to attract customers as they return to cruising.

Agree with cruisemom,  We loved the Koningsdam, and IMO to sail on a new ship vs an older one with more people makes it an easy choice.  We have enjoyed both lines, but prefer HAL and contrary to  what most believe found a far older crowd on Princess in the Caribbean.  

We also love the Tamarind restaurant on the Pinnacle class ships.   They are beautiful ships! 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

I can't help trying to understand why Princess decided to remove existing chairs from the cabins.  Obviously it wasn't done for the comfort of the passengers.  We typically take longer (30 days average) cruises and enjoy a glass of wine or a good book in the cabin.  Of course now that HAL has decided to remove its libraries that is another slap in the face of passenger comfort.  It will be interesting to see if the cruise lines rethink some of these policies when they try to attract customers as they return to cruising.

I recall there was no clear reason but a lot of speculation on the Princess board at the time. Some thought it was because Princess didn't want to encourage people sitting around in their cabins when they could out and about (and spending) on the the ship. Others thought that Princess would save on cleaning and reupholstery/restocking if they got rid of the chair. Who knows?  Maybe taking the chairs out means each room steward can clean two extra cabins in the same time frame, since they don't have to vacuum those chairs...

Whatever -- I was not, and am not, a fan of their decision.

28 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I recall there was no clear reason but a lot of speculation on the Princess board at the time. Some thought it was because Princess didn't want to encourage people sitting around in their cabins when they could out and about (and spending) on the the ship. Others thought that Princess would save on cleaning and reupholstery/restocking if they got rid of the chair. Who knows?  Maybe taking the chairs out means each room steward can clean two extra cabins in the same time frame, since they don't have to vacuum those chairs...

Whatever -- I was not, and am not, a fan of their decision.

I don't think anyone is a fan of their decision, except maybe some bean counters in corporate who have not read the comments of those who have found this a deal breaker.

• Like 1

Replying to MTAK:  Of the two itinerary lists you posted, the Rotterdam's appeals to me the most.

6 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

We have cruised both: 5-star on HAL and Elite on Princess.

As I am and have.  I give the edge to HAL for the benefits that I receive being a part of their loyalty program.  

4 hours ago, MTAK said:

Does the Caribbean Princess qualify as one of the newer ships

Absolutely not.  I sailed on what I think is a "sister"--Star Princess.  Since, I have sailed on Royal Princess (of the new generation) and Coral Princess.  Of the three, Coral Princess wins as to my preference.  Each has its own strengths; each has its own weaknesses.  (No surprise there, I don't think.)  

Unless there is a significant change from the "suits" in Seattle as to on-board entertainment, i.e. music, shows, etc., HAL cannot match the offerings on Princess.

Cuisine on both is usually good, but regardless of the ship/cruise line on which one sails, it is the Executive Chef in the Galley that will help determine my satisfaction.  If one likes Italian cuisine, Princess can do a superior job with such.  Notice that I said "can". Fettuccine Alfredo served with a watery "alfredo" sauce and the noodles being a bit too "al dente" was disappointing.  

Crews on both are great.  The nationalities of the crew are similar with HAL's being less so, perhaps.  My Coral Princess Stateroom Stewardess was a Thai citizen.  First of that nationality that I had met and she was a real dear!  

I realize the Carribbean Princess is not a new(er) ship, but has been refurbished in dry docks during 2017 and 2019, and from what I've read people seem to be happy overall with the ship, sans a few quirks as noted in this and other threads.  My question was in regard to @mustgo's comment and whether it had the unobstructed-obstructed balconies, which it sounds like it does not.

I'll do some more reading, but so far the most common recent complaints on the Caribbean Princess seem to be about the food quality. I've read that seems to be a trend across other lines too, but can say that food on the Eurodam was great and the Nieuw Amsterdam was absolutely excellent a year ago. So we have no qualms about HAL in that regard either.

Upon more reflection, I think the itinerary has more to do with this decision than I originally thought.  The HAL voyage would almost be an exact repeat of a year ago, with the exception of St. Thomas instead of St. Croix. Honestly we're a bit 'meh' about Grand Turk, and HAL's port time in San Juan is not the best...some day we'd like to fly to San Juan to spend at least a full day there, maybe two, then board a southern cruise. Celebrity has had some good itineraries in the past that I've been interested in. So San Juan could stay on the back burner for now.

We couldn't tender to HMC due to weather, but HMC and Princess Cay sound like fairly similar experiences, so that leaves St. Kitts...

FWIW, I've also looked at southern itineraries on the Rotterdam out of Ft. Lauderdale, but those are in January/February 2022. 

I still seem to be at a coin-flip. I feel as if we're selling ourselves short for not trying a different line, but maybe I'm putting too much weight into that.

Thanks for the feedback, keep the comments coming if you'd like.  I still have a week to decide.

Edited by MTAK

My comparison of HAL to Princess will be on Alaskan cruises since I’ve not done a Caribbean cruise on Princess.

I found Princess noisier than HAL, primarily because of all of the “sales” promotions onboard.  I could not find a quiet spot onboard, other than my cabin.

One of the best meals I’ve ever had on a ship was in the Italian Speciality restaurant on Princess.  Other than that meal, HAL beat out Princess regarding food in the Main Dining Room and Buffet.

The comments regarding the cabin and bathroom are spot-on.  

Would I sail Princess again?  If I liked the price, timing and ports, YES.  If HAL and Princess were equal on price, timing and ports, I would sail on HAL.

• Like 2

Princess is such a nice ship and such a nice cruiser. I really like the way they keep promoting their company and their ship. I was there only ones a few year ago and it was awesome. Cant wait to get on board again. I am sure it will be a goof of a journey 

You must have a pretty good idea with all the good answers from here.  I have to concur with most for the cabin and the horrible Princess shower. We are 50 and 45 and as you can see have cruised the most with Princess but if I had to chose between the 2 Itinerary and ship mentioned above my choice would be HAL Rotterdam.

Ships :

Caribbean Princess has been refurbish but unfortunately to my tasting they miss the mark on those refurbish as they still feel outdated.  HAL Pinnacle class is very nicely done.

Entertainment :

During the Day Princess wins on this but at night they pretty much are similar and actually the newer ship of HAL with the music walk and a few good main shows as well.

Dining :

Buffet pretty much the same on both.

MDR evening feels more like old cruise feeling on HAL but the food on both lines is very good.

Late night Snack : Hands down to Princess with the International Cafe.

Ports of call :

That all depends on you but for us Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay are sore relaxing that tehy would be our choice.

To conclude right now dreaming of cruising so thanks for asking those questions it got me smiling again in hopes we all cruise soon.

Thanks

Sea ya

Eric

• Like 1

I know this is repeating what's already been said, but I'll say it anyways.

In my opinion, HAL's staterooms are far better.  On the other hand, Princess' entertainment is far better.  I like HAL's ships a little better, but I like Princess' grand atrium design.  

The thing about Princess....and I don't know if this is good or bad....is that I can't quite figure out what their niche is.  There's really nothing about them that sets them apart from the rest of the industry.  

Having never sailed on a Princess ship, our only experience was in 2019 when we compared a Princess cruise with the HAL Noordam we took to Alaska. We were traveling with our 10 year old grandson and the deal we got from HAL was way much better. We booked a Signature Suite on the Noordam and the HUGE double sink bathroom and much larger cabin was a plus with a 10 year old in our cabin. We also added a 5 day land tour with the 7 day cruise. The deal with HAL included our GS free in our cabin and the land portion was only an added $449. Princess at the time wanted 1/2 the adult fare for the extra person in our cabin which was over $1400 in extra cost. They also had no cabins in size close to the HAL SS. We have also sailed with Celebrity and a lot of CC members on the X CC site have tried Princess and not been thrilled with the food and service.

Well I may have an interim solution to my dilemma. I could book both cruises. Final payment would be first week in January 2022, and by then I would know more about the future of cruising and whatever port restrictions, etc. may still be in place, which may make a decision clearer.  This would also give me more time to evaluate the options.

Also, I noticed the Princess itinerary has possible substitute ports of Grand Turk and St. Maarten, is this typical?  I have not seen that on a HAL itinerary during booking. If St. Maarten was substituted ahead of time, we would likely sail Princess since we missed that port on our last HAL cruise and it was a big part of the reason we booked that trip.  However if Grand Turk ends up as a Port instead of St. Thomas or St. Kitts, we'd go ahead and sail Rotterdam.

Unless I am missing something, booking both may be the way to go for now until more of this gets sorted out.

• Like 1

Have traveled on both lines numerous times, I find them both fairly equal. Entertainment is good on both, food is equal so all things considered it would come down to itinerary, if the price is comparable. The one thing I do like about HAL, is that you can order room service breakfast on disembarkation day and stay in your cabin until it is your turn to leave. 

• Like 1