The Daily for Saturday Jan 23, 2021

richwmn

Good afternoon.  I'm a little late today since I needed to pick up the one thing I forgot for tonight's dinner.  I wanted to get to the store as early a possible (after sleeping late) and before most people left the shows and hit the grocery store.  While I was there, I also picked up a nice chuck roast that will make a couple of pot roasts since I cut it in half.

BTW, dinner will be crab cakes and sapsagos cooked in the air fryer.  To round out dinner, there will be salad, wine, and more of the brownies from the other day.

While I like cakes too, I will bake a pie for special occasions and once in a while for us.  I have used my mother's pie crust recipe since we married 53 years ago, and always had good luck with it, until following advice on newer techniques, my crust stopped being good.  So I finally wised up and went back to my mother's recipe.  Unless I make aa apple pie, I usually make a pecan pie for DH and a chocolate pie for me, and both do last a while.  If we did not have so many brownies left, I would have made a key lime pie for dinner.

My handwriting still looks pretty good and legible if I write slowly.  When I make notes to myself and my grocery list, sometimes I can't even read it. Maybe that's why when I write the trivia answers, I print.  Being an engineer, DH always prints.

I never had time or the inclination to quilt, but we did get some quilts from DH's family.  Unfortunately, they wee very old and well used to the point of coming apart in places. Since the material was so old, I could only mend them a little.  They are stored since we just couldn't throw them out.

@Cruising-alongWe have stayed at the campground in Williams that is part for the hotel, train station complex.  We looked into taking the train, but opted instead to drive up to the Grand Canyon.  Driving allows you to go beyond the immediate area around the train station there.  We usually drive to the canyon, then drive along the south rim and on to the highway heading back to Flagstaff.  From Flagstaff, it is an easy drive back to I-40 and Williams.  The Lowell Observatory in Flagstaff is an interesting stop, especially if you are into astronomy.  That is where Clyde Tombaugh discover Pluto. 

@durangoscots @cruzn singleSo glad your are getting moisture in any form. @TiogaCruiser Glad you are getting rain.  It looks like we should be getting some of it tonight, tomorrow and Tuesday. 🌧️ 🤞

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 12

8 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

@Cruising-alongWe have stayed at the campground in Williams that is part for the hotel, train station complex.  We looked into taking the train, but opted instead to drive up to the Grand Canyon.  Driving allows you to go beyond the immediate area around the train station there.  We usually drive to the canyon, then drive along the south rim and on to the highway heading back to Flagstaff.  From Flagstaff, it is an easy drive back to I-40 and Williams.  The Lowell Observatory in Flagstaff is an interesting stop, especially if you are into astronomy.  That is where Clyde Tombaugh discover Pluto. 

Thank you!  I had heard of the train before and wondered what the attraction was -- we tend to like to do things on our own, so I think we'll stick to our original plan.  We will be staying in Williams a couple nights before heading to Mesa Verde, our next stop.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Thank you!  I had heard of the train before and wondered what the attraction was -- we tend to like to do things on our own, so I think we'll stick to our original plan.  We will be staying in Williams a couple nights before heading to Mesa Verde, our next stop.

We also like to do our own thing, and driving the rim, you can stop as often and as long as you like.  The train stops within easy walking distance to the main "village" with a good view point, the hotel and of course the shops.  (Besides, the train left earlier that we wanted to leave.  😁)  All these are worth seeing, but it can be done by car too. The road back to Flagstaff is US 89 that also goes to Monument Valley, which is out of the way if you will be going to Mesa Verde.

By the time you will be there, there should not be many road closures.  The best place to check for road conditions is Arizona 511.  You might want to check out their web-site.  It has a map showing the conditions, you can phone, and they have an app to download on your phone.

You will enjoy the entire area and all the scenery.  Enjoy your trip and the planning for it.

Lenda

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

You will enjoy the entire area and all the scenery.  Enjoy your trip and the planning for it.

Thank you so much.  We've been to the Grand Canyon but not since 1970 (!).  We'll make a big loop, going to the Grand Canyon, Mesa Verde, see a bit more of Colorado, and end up in Yellowstone for our yearly visit there.  Really appreciate the info!

• Like 5

3 hours ago, bennybear said:

would love to see a photo

It doesn’t show the full quilt, but it gets the detail well. It was hanging in a section of old worn blankets and priced at $15. It’s a queen size. I just love it, and wish I knew it’s history.

86DAEDFC-062E-4729-AB6A-C04D58CB2DC7.thumb.jpeg.cfb0281707823f400aa5b429cba804d6.jpeg

Also, a picture of the gorgeous sunset as we sailed away from Punta Del Este, that I forgot to add to my original post. 
3C605396-A41F-4128-AAC0-D0A7878716C0.thumb.png.8677e182c77e70f41fa5998af9804b33.png

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 19

Good afternoon everyone!  Thank you for the Daily Rich!

Just checking in right now after reading all the posts and pictures.  Doing some cooking that takes some attention right now.  BTW I will never forget learning cursive in 4th grade, I missed the day we learned the letter F so in my later years relearned how to do it properly.  I worked for doctors many many many years and can read most of their handwriting.  You just get to know them and it all comes into focus.  🙂 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 9

Talking about handwriting....my DH is a lefty (in spite of the nuns at school!), and his handwriting is atrocious. When he was going to school at night, he first tried writing his reports for me to type them.  After the third word, I had NO idea what he was talking about!  We ended up with a working compromise - he would type the rough draft of the report, and I would retype it and make all the grammar and spelling corrections.  (This was back in the days of electric typewriters, not computers!)

Laura

• Like 14

35 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

It doesn’t show the full quilt, but it gets the detail well. It was hanging in a section of old worn blankets and priced at $15. It’s a queen size. I just love it, and wish I knew it’s history.

86DAEDFC-062E-4729-AB6A-C04D58CB2DC7.thumb.jpeg.cfb0281707823f400aa5b429cba804d6.jpeg

Gorgeous!  Glad someone has it who loves it!  So much work!   I am on an antique site,  and am always saddened by the treasures that no one wants or appreciates anymore.  

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 8

Thank you for the daily and the drinks.

Prayers for all who need them and best wishes for all.

Pie day has inspired me to use the pie crust hiding in the freezer.  I have tons of apples, so dutch apple pie it is.

Another sunny day here.  Frost this am but still fine for walking.

• Like 10

39 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Also, a picture of the gorgeous sunset as we sailed away from Punta Del Este, that I forgot to add to my original post. 
3C605396-A41F-4128-AAC0-D0A7878716C0.thumb.png.8677e182c77e70f41fa5998af9804b33.png

That's a really fine looking quilt. I have a lot of interest in hand made quilts. You have an amazing find for $15.00. In my world it would be $300 to $500 easily if it is in good condition.  Congratulations.

• Like 8

42 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Wow!  That is gorgeous.   It was a steal for $15.   

• Like 7

8 hours ago, puppycanducruise said:

Good morning everyone.  Love the Daily Report.  I guess I'm slow to the party today.

I love pie.  My grandmother was an excellent baker, and I learned from her.  But, I don't make many pies because it's usually too much for just the 2 of us, but I want one now.

I don't quilt (heck, I can barely sew a button on) but I have several quilts made by family members.  I certainly admire their work.

My handwriting is atrocious, but I can read it.

Thanks for the meal suggestions, they both sound great.

Have a wonderful Saturday.

Stay safe.

I had the same problem about a pie being too much for the two of us so I ordered five inch aluminum pie pans from Amazon and cut my store bought crust to fit. I freeze any extras for another time. This size is perfect for the two of us, especially with a scoop of ice cream!  Enjoy 😊 

• Like 10

14 minutes ago, NextOne said:

Re: National Handwriting Day

handwriting.jpg

LOL.

Many  years ago, I worked with a Persian physician, who had a fabulous sense of humor and liked to tease. She was learning and amused by our traditions, culture and language.....  I still remember one afternoon, when we all were busy at the station charting, hearing her call out "Hey! I can't read the nurse's handwriting!"

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 4
  • Haha 8

4 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Thank you for posting your photos.  We're planning a 2-week road trip for May and will be visiting the Grand Canyon among other things.  We'll be staying in Williams too.  What are the pros and cons of taking the train vs just driving ourselves? We had planned on taking one full day to drive around the area.  We need to check on that wild west show too, we kind of like cheesy 😉  Thank you in advance!

While we enjoyed the train to the canyon, I doubt that I would do it again. It was more something my parents wanted to do. Our trip included a tour bus to many spots on the south rim. We saw plenty, but probably would have seen more on our own and would have had more time at the canyon. In 1980, I stayed overnight in the village and actually hiked partway down into the canyon. I was driving from Ames, Iowa (after finishing graduate school at Iowa State) to LA to start a postdoctoral stint at UCLA. Since I was travelling alone, I took my time and made the trip a bit of a vacation. The Grand Canyon was certainly a highlight. It was spring and pretty much the off-season. There was still snow in shaded areas and not too many people around. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DFD1 said:

That's a really fine looking quilt. I have a lot of interest in hand made quilts. You have an amazing find for $15.00. In my world it would be $300 to $500 easily if it is in good condition.  Congratulations.

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Wow!  That is gorgeous.   It was a steal for $15.   

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

Gorgeous!  Glad someone has it who loves it!  So much work!   I am on an antique site,  and am always saddened by the treasures that no one wants or appreciates anymore.  

DH and I have looked at handmade quilts in farm market artisan shops on a number of trips, and we’re familiar with the pricing, albeit new and not second hand. What really impresses me is the crocheted lace appliqués. From the size and shape, they were obviously made specifically for that quilt. I’ve never seen that before. That adds a lot of hours and skill to an already intricate quilt. Brand new in a specialty shop, I’d be surprised to see a queen size quilt with those details as low as $500. And as the icing on the cake, I love the colours!

5C19AEC9-F7F0-43DC-B223-E6DD51E5D3FD.jpeg

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 9

I had a disturbing email from my brother's SO today.  They recently visited Hawaii and on the return trip Roger has become very weak.  He is due for back surgery February 4 which does not sound like a good combination with his condition.

Roy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I had a disturbing email from my brother's SO today.  They recently visited Hawaii and on the return trip Roger has become very weak.  He is due for back surgery February 4 which does not sound like a good combination with his condition.

Roy

Sorry to hear this, Roy, best wishes for your brother.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

So sorry to hear your brother is not well....sending prayers for healing.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Sorry to hear this.  All of you are in our thoughts.

Lenda

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Oh, dear.  I hope it is something that he gets over quickly.   Prayers for his healing.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1