Is there a Best Time of Year for British Aisles Cruise?

AF-1

Looking to book Jewel of the Seas for British Aisle Cruise 2022.  They sail in Jun-Aug.  Is there a particular month that is better for weather and port calls?  Thanks,  this cruise sails 12 nights roundtrip out of Amsterdam and goes to Scotland, Ireland, and England.  Thanks for any info

40 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Looking to book Jewel of the Seas for British Aisle Cruise 2022.  They sail in Jun-Aug.  Is there a particular month that is better for weather and port calls?  Thanks,  this cruise sails 12 nights roundtrip out of Amsterdam and goes to Scotland, Ireland, and England.  Thanks for any info

There’s no predicting when you’re likely to get good weather in Ireland. Summer could happen any weekend in May though Sept 😎. There will be more tourists in Aug than June or July. For what it’s worth, the days are at their longest in June. If you get clear weather then you’ll have daylight until 9:30pm - 10pm. 

• Like 2

Considering the best time for a British Isles cruise depending on weather, I agree with what BillyBaltic posted. When it rains in the Spring,it is called a “soft rain” instead of steady downpours. But, there is a possibility of rain in the forecast for any particular day during all the months mentioned.

As regards to port calls , May and June may be  the better months to choose for a British Isles cruise as there may be fewer tourists during those months before school vacations begin.

Wishing you good luck for booking a cruise to a British Isles cruise in 2022,as there continues to be much uncertainty concerning the Covid pandemic and the future of cruises. No harm in thinking positive though.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2021 at 6:23 PM, Goodtime Cruizin said:

We just booked the August cruise as the wife's peak work time is July, so it was August for us. But we found a real real nice group rate that is fully refundable too. 

Did you book thru the cruise line or thru a travel agent?  By group rate; does that mean you're traveling with  a large group?.  Thanks

On 1/23/2021 at 12:55 PM, Billy Baltic said:

There’s no predicting when you’re likely to get good weather in Ireland. Summer could happen any weekend in May though Sept 😎. There will be more tourists in Aug than June or July. For what it’s worth, the days are at their longest in June. If you get clear weather then you’ll have daylight until 9:30pm - 10pm. 

Thanks for the info.  If we can adjust our schedule we may try for next June.  We have a prior commitment the first week of June; so will check it out.  

On 1/23/2021 at 4:53 PM, MJSailors said:

Considering the best time for a British Isles cruise depending on weather, I agree with what BillyBaltic posted. When it rains in the Spring,it is called a “soft rain” instead of steady downpours. But, there is a possibility of rain in the forecast for any particular day during all the months mentioned.

As regards to port calls , May and June may be  the better months to choose for a British Isles cruise as there may be fewer tourists during those months before school vacations begin.

Wishing you good luck for booking a cruise to a British Isles cruise in 2022,as there continues to be much uncertainty concerning the Covid pandemic and the future of cruises. No harm in thinking positive though.

Thanks for your feedback.  I am not too worried about cruising next summer.  This summer is probably out;  so we will look for next year.  Have a great day.

12 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Did you book thru the cruise line or thru a travel agent?  By group rate; does that mean you're traveling with  a large group?.  Thanks

Group rates are just rates that are held by TA’s at a lower price than if you were to book direct through the cruise line.  They are also refundable and come with OBC.  Not all agents have access to them and generally the larger TA’s will have more groups and space available.  There are lots of groups where no one in the group knows anyone else.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I don't think there will be any difference between June and August weather wise here in the UK.

Possibly slightly longer days in June and it will be quieter in the ports visited. If sailing in August there may be more tourist things happening with more people visiting as school holidays generally run from around 20th July to 1st September here.

Enjoy the British Isles and Ireland, personally I wouldn't be too concerned about uncertainty in 2022 visiting the UK as the poster above mentioned. If this is still going on in 18 months time then we are all really in trouble so I'm in the positive camp.

We are also sailing on Jewel from Amsterdam in 2022 visiting the Arctic Circle and can't wait.

Edited by Tin can

Hello fellow cruisers.  If you don't mind I have a few more questions.  I am looking to do a price comparison between Royal Caribbean and Princess for same British Aisle Cruise.  Can you tell me what the following prices are for Royal?

1. Gratuities

2. Unlimited Wifi package

3. Unlimited Drinks/coffee package

Thank you very much

18 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Hello fellow cruisers.  If you don't mind I have a few more questions.  I am looking to do a price comparison between Royal Caribbean and Princess for same British Aisle Cruise.  Can you tell me what the following prices are for Royal?

1. Gratuities

2. Unlimited Wifi package

3. Unlimited Drinks/coffee package

Thank you very much

1. $14.50 per person per day

2. We usually find a 2 person wifi package for around $20 per day

3. alcoholic drink package $45-$55 pp per day plus 18% gratuity added on.

non alcoholic drink package $19pppd plus 18%

Edited by Ourusualbeach

The weather in Scotland is unpredictable during June to August, and our schools take their summer break from end June to mid August, the schools in England break later.    I don't know which ports you're visiting, but if Edinburgh is a port of call, you may want to keep in mind that the Edinburgh Military Tattoo takes place in August, and I know this is very popular with tourists all over, as is the Edinburgh Festival, which also makes it a busy time to visit too.

If/when you sail, ensure you pack a brolly (Umbrella), and light rainproof jacket, and I'm sure you'll be fine.

18 minutes ago, texmex.ferr said:

The weather in Scotland is unpredictable during June to August, and our schools take their summer break from end June to mid August, the schools in England break later.    I don't know which ports you're visiting, but if Edinburgh is a port of call, you may want to keep in mind that the Edinburgh Military Tattoo takes place in August, and I know this is very popular with tourists all over, as is the Edinburgh Festival, which also makes it a busy time to visit too.

If/when you sail, ensure you pack a brolly (Umbrella), and light rainproof jacket, and I'm sure you'll be fine.

Thank you for your reply.  We booked a Jul 14, 2022 cruise.  Our Scotland ports will be Glasgow, Edinburgh, and Inverness,  we have stops in Dublin, Liverpool, Wales, Dover, and Gurnsey.  We will pack small umbrella with rain jackets.  Cheers

• Like 2

On 1/23/2021 at 9:09 AM, AF-1 said:

Looking to book Jewel of the Seas for British Aisle Cruise 2022. ...this cruise sails 12 nights roundtrip out of Amsterdam and goes to Scotland, Ireland, and England. 

In case you're interested... not many full reviews on this itinerary. Hopefully the daily ports of calls may help you with your planning

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2560648-brilliance-british-isles-june-19-july-22018-review-wlots-of-photos/

Hoopster95,  after reading your 2018 thread I noticed you have been on all the Radiance Class ships.  So my question to you;  are they all basically the same layout?  I am going on Jewel and have not sailed RCI in over ten years.  Have been on Freedom, Majesty, Explorer, Voyager, Allure;  so this class will be a first for my wife and I.  

2 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Hoopster95,  after reading your 2018 thread I noticed you have been on all the Radiance Class ships.  So my question to you;  are they all basically the same layout?  I am going on Jewel and have not sailed RCI in over ten years.  Have been on Freedom, Majesty, Explorer, Voyager, Allure;  so this class will be a first for my wife and I.  

I'm not Hoopster, but I prefer RCI's Radiance-class ships to its larger ships with a Royal Promenade. I most recently cruised on both Jewel and Brilliance in the fall of 2019, and the layouts were very similar.

On 1/23/2021 at 5:09 PM, AF-1 said:

Hi 

Here is a piece on Cruise Critic with British Isles Cruise Tips: https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/articles.cfm?ID=1352

I hope you find it useful.

Happy cruising!

Adam

13 minutes ago, NancyIL said:

I'm not Hoopster, but I prefer RCI's Radiance-class ships to its larger ships with a Royal Promenade. I most recently cruised on both Jewel and Brilliance in the fall of 2019, and the layouts were very similar.

NancyIL; thanks for your feedback.  I have read this class of ship has lots of glass for viewing;  and also this class of ship was built to sail in cold weather; so most of it is enclosed; like the solarium.  Cheers

On 1/27/2021 at 1:30 AM, AF-1 said:

Thank you for your reply.  We booked a Jul 14, 2022 cruise.  Our Scotland ports will be Glasgow, Edinburgh, and Inverness,  we have stops in Dublin, Liverpool, Wales, Dover, and Gurnsey.  We will pack small umbrella with rain jackets.  Cheers

Suggest you read this for your day in Guernsey... a fascinating charming little island with an incredible history.

https://www.manvsglobe.com/best-things-guernsey-1-day-itinerary-cruise-shore-excursion/

Also recommend you watch this movie 🎥 to give you a further insight into the hardships of the island during the war: “The Guernsey Literary and potato Peel pie Society”.  The book is better than the film though. 

Edited by little britain
  • Like 1

We did this cruise in 2018 and loved it.  When we got to Dover we decided to just wander around the town.  One of the best things we saw at any port was in the Dover museum.  It was a Bronze Age ship that had been discovered when they did some roadwork.  The museum was small, but really nice (and free)!

DH is of Scottish ancestry, so we had a private tour in Inverness.  We had time to see everything and lunch at a neat tavern near Cawdor castle.

Weather wasn’t what we expected.  It was 90 in Dublin!  

Great trip, I’d love to do it again.